iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing was fun last weekend! Now I got questions...

Started by NCDiesel, April 12, 2013, 12:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDiesel

Sawing last weekend was great fun, but it raised nearly as many questions as it answered:

1 - Band productivity:  I went through two blades milling about 400 board feet of lumber in 5 14' logs.   While I did hit a squaring arm with the first band, it was already getting pretty wavy and was due to be swapped out.   The second band is still on, but is has enough saw time that I already have to go slow to avoid waves on that one and probably only has a few more cuts.   Is this unreasonably low productivity for bands in SYP?

2 - Log handling:   I can only get the mill close to my log piles, so I am having to move logs to the mill 20-50 yards.   Skidding logs with a tractor and boom pole is zero fun, makes the logs dirty, not to mention it is a mite dangerous too (every get the end stuck?   Front tires go skyward pretty quick).  Log arches are a bit out of my price range after having blown my budget on the mill.   Any suggestions for skidding in a clean, safe manner?

3 - Beveled siding.  One of the financial justifications for the mill is I needed about $2000 worth of bevel siding.   So last weekend I thought - "this is easy, simply place existing siding I am copying underneath".   This works only so-so and is tedious.   The biggest problem is this:  If the pattern you are using under the cant is warped even just a little(or inconsistent itself), you will get one end of the siding board thinner than the other, or even worse - run-out.   Any better ideas or cool mill mods I can copy for cutting beveled siding?

I guess that is enough for now.....

Thanks in advance!
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

beenthere

The dirty logs from #2 problem will give you short band life in #1 problem.

But you will figure something out to get clean logs on the mill for sawing.

For #3, if the idea works then just use one good straight shim (pattern) that gives you good results. Surely you can find one. Or not??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

You did not indicate whether you have a debarker on your sawmill, but question #1 was probably answered by question #2.

Consider ditching the boom pole and hitching the tongs/choker to your 3 point hitch.  This will remove some of the front end lightness, and will also allow you to raise the butt of the log further off of the ground so that you are only skidding the tail end of the log.  Cleaner logs and much safer.

There is really no such thing as a little dirt.  Dirt dulls blades.  Do you have access to a water hose or pressure washer?

I regularly use and wear these out and I have a debarker.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

Have you ever seen a three point pond scoop? I guess they are for mucking out ponds or something but I bought it for moving logs. It can be hooked up backwards and the front of the log placed in the scoop. You then just chain the log forward so it can't fall out and away you go.http://www.ruralking.com/king-kutter-30-dirt-scoop-ds-30-y.html?utm_medium=google&utm_source=cse&CAWELAID=1624247826&catargetid=1831907511&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMi72N3gxbYCFQQEnQod2V4Abw I bought a used one for $50. Check craigslist. As far as dirt goes, you can't avoid dirt on logs. It helps that after the first cut, my blade enters the clean side of the log. I think it is faster for me to just make a dirty cut or two. But I have a sharpener so dull bands arent a big deal.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

I have no idea what state you are in. But I think the bark should peel in any state now. Will here until about late June,early July pushing it. I run the chain saw the long way to the log,just deep enough to get through the bark. A spud is easier. But I use one big bladed screw driver and an old lug wrench from a car that I straighted out.Than just pry one of the blades under the bark and work your way across the log. Pick up on the tool and it should peel right off. I have also heard a small piece of leaf spring works too,which I have kicking around here. I have 2 logs down on the ground to peel my logs onto. Than I pick them up and put them on the mill. Slow,and than some. But once you get the hung of it,should be able to do it in 10 minutes easy. If you go the peeling route,cut your knots off flush with the wood. Much easier to have them flush,even an inch makes it harder.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PC-Urban-Sawyer

roghair

If your logs are not too big and heavy you might consider to build a simple, low cost logarch yourself and a jig for the hitch to lift the logs.

In this way I haul the logs from the woods to the mill; they stay clean and it is relatively simple.

Can also be used with chains:

In this last picture you can see an easy way to make skidding tongs (tractor side)

built a sawmill

slider

Could you weld on a ring on your boom closer to the tractor so you are not trying to lift so far out.
al glenn

sawmillhand

Rog i do like that idea alot i use a smaller tractor when the big one is just to big to get into places
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

shortlogger

I often use my rear hay fork , I just lower the lift arm adjustment all the way down and just back right up to the log and scoop it up with the bottom two forks . I made it out of 2 pieces of drill stem and old axles works fine .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

bandmiller2

NCD,just for  chuckles cut some untapered 5/8 or 3/4" boards and lay them up as sideing,really no need to taper unless your trying to match something.If you use a sled type device under the back of a log and lift the front with your tractor you can help keeping them clean.With a log on your mill make it a habit to inspect and clean the bands future path,I use an axe,wire brush,and whiskbroom.As suggested a arch should be in your future. I made a low single axle tiltbed steel trailer with a massive headgear.I just pull the logs on with a comealong,or winch,its usefull in the woods or on the road.No problem with a couple of nice 14' logs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

slider

A draw knife also works well in cleaning dirty wood.A friend had a small one that had a curve in it .It worked great.
al glenn

Leigh Family Farm

What about making a temporary landing area and then cleaning a few logs at once?

What I mean is for you to put a three or four 4x4s on the ground lined up with the loaders on your mill. Then put 3-4 logs on them so your staged and ready to go. Then go over them with a stiff broom, wire brush, or whatever, all at once. This way you can saw 4 logs in one period, break for coffee, and reload. I would think the 4x4s would keep the logs out of the mud and they are cheap & lightweight. Just a thought....
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

cutterboy

Quote from: NCDiesel on April 12, 2013, 12:59:43 PM
Sawing last weekend was great fun, but it raised nearly as many questions as it answered:

2 - Log handling:      Any suggestions for skidding in a clean, safe manner?

I have a suggestion for this. Get or make a set of forks that can attach to the 3-point hitch on the back of your tractor. You can carry your logs to the mill and they stay clean.

They are also good for carrying firewood out of the woods.

Best of luck to you,  Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!