iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40-- can I cut 3/4 for the dog board?

Started by Okrafarmer, April 10, 2013, 06:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red oaks lumber

i would never splice on vertical siding! where is the rot going to start? right where the seam is.just my opinion
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

isawlogs

Don't put the joint tight.. leave a hair line between the two boards and all will be good.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Brucer

Quote from: isawlogs on April 13, 2013, 09:04:54 AM
Oh!.. Mine also has that nice pinkish orange patina to it.   :D :)

That's not "pinkish orange", Marcel, it's "salmon"  :D :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

5quarter

I'm with Red Oaks...put it up green, it will make its own gap in a few months and in a few years turn a nice shade of black. better to make a T + G butt joint using exterior grade adhesive if you have to scarf some boards. I realize its not your building, but you might want to suggest a few alternatives seeing as he is a friend of yours. BTW...I think you were right on the money figuring 25% overrun on 1200bf doyle on your logs, esp. since, as Marcel mentioned, you're cutting 3/4 and not 4/4. let us know how it shakes out.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Okrafarmer

I figured 25% over-run on the International, but it isn't working out because of course I am shooting for only one width. I'm only getting about a 0-10% over-run on my target width. I milled four logs today. I am getting the additional over-run in battens, but only a little bit in 8" boards. One little detail I forgot to factor in.  ::) The good news is, I do have some extra logs I hadn't counted before. I also have two smaller logs I can make extra battens from if I don't have enough from the edging. The mill is doing well. I milled about 300 bf of logs today but I didn't do the edging yet. Unfortunately my kerf is a little over 1/8 of an inch. It may be my band tires are too worn. I probably should replace them. I just put them in new last fall, so I hadn't hoped to need to replace them so soon.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!