iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mud season!

Started by Woodhauler, December 07, 2015, 11:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

#4 piston is broken, possibly from a piece of turbo impellor :-\  I found a 2000 E350 van with a 120,000 miles and a 7.3 for an organ donor.  The transplant is ongoing.  It was a pretty nice van  ;) ;D  Looks like a fairly straight forward swap.  A few accessories have to be switched from the truck engine to the van engine.  The van engine has a non waste gate turbo and is 215HP instead of the 250HP the truck engine produced with the waste gate intercooled turbo.  I'm not going to miss 35HP.  Otherwise from what I've read the engines are identical and they appear to be even the oil pans and exhaust hook up is identical.  I read the oil pans were different but not on this swap.  The van also had it's pan replaced not too long ago  8) 8) 8)
  Both engines are hanging and with a bit of luck we may get one back in the truck late today.
  It's supposed to cool off some next week but still be above normal temperatures.  There's rain in the forecast the next few days too.  Not even freezing at night. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lopet

I scrapped a working 7.3 last winter. Was originally a ambulance , then a plumbing/heating guy used it as a work truck.  Price was right, thought I will throw a flatbed on it.   It never happened .  :( ;D :D       Good luck with your swap.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

snowstorm

Quote from: Corley5 on December 10, 2015, 08:00:08 AM
  #4 piston is broken, possibly from a piece of turbo impellor :-\  I found a 2000 E350 van with a 120,000 miles and a 7.3 for an organ donor.  The transplant is ongoing.  It was a pretty nice van  ;) ;D  Looks like a fairly straight forward swap.  A few accessories have to be switched from the truck engine to the van engine.  The van engine has a non waste gate turbo and is 215HP instead of the 250HP the truck engine produced with the waste gate intercooled turbo.  I'm not going to miss 35HP.  Otherwise from what I've read the engines are identical and they appear to be even the oil pans and exhaust hook up is identical.  I read the oil pans were different but not on this swap.  The van also had it's pan replaced not too long ago  8) 8) 8)
  Both engines are hanging and with a bit of luck we may get one back in the truck late today.
  It's supposed to cool off some next week but still be above normal temperatures.  There's rain in the forecast the next few days too.  Not even freezing at night.
how did the engine swap go? did you pull the cab off or go out thru the front?

2StateTrigger

Quote from: Woodhauler on December 07, 2015, 11:52:43 AM
Got one load this morning, came home and stacked a cord of firewood and now I'm cleaning a dozen guns. >:(

Dont frown Woodhauler, cleaning guns is always fun.....
Molon Labe

Corley5

Got it running and back to hauling firewood 8)  It wasn't a bad project.  We went through the front rather than pull the cab.  If I had a gantry or bridge crane the cab probably would have come off.  We had to switch motor mounts, the driver's side exhaust manifold, the oil cooler tube that's on the driver's side below the exhaust manifold, the AC pump and alternator had to be switched from side to side and the truck power steering was part of that too.  There was a difference in the exhaust because of the exhaust manifolds but between the parts available we made it work.  It'll need a visit to a real exhaust shop some day ;) ;D  It runs good, starts good cold etc.  I'm happy with it 8) 8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

HiTech

We got a couple days in the teens coming up and one night below zero but then back to mild again. Won't be enough to freeze the ground with the snow we have but if a road is broke it might help with that, keep some of mud down for awhile. Want to use a gravel road to skid some timber on but can't unless it freezes solid. Any other year that road would be solid by now. Will probably have to use the skid trail in the woods but that will be a lot slower.

petefrom bearswamp

shut my job down last week, Woods OK but  mud flowing from the main skid trail onto the neighbors prop.
He aint friendly
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Plankton

Had to call it yesterday for a few days. All the snow and freezing rain saturated the ground and the trail is worse then it ever was even in the rainy last couple weeks... I didn't even finish pulling out one turn yesterday, I unhichted it in the middle of the skid road didn't want to make any more ruts then I already had.

brianJ

Eight inches oflake effect snow before the mud froze up.   Mud is gonna stay around til spring.

Ken

We are getting some cold weather now but have enough of a snow blanket that if an area isn't tramped it will not freeze this winter.  I'm moving to a black spruce bog next week so will have to use every scrap of brush to build trails for the forwarder.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

John Mc

Quote from: brianJ on January 01, 2016, 08:37:23 PM
Eight inches oflake effect snow before the mud froze up.   Mud is gonna stay around til spring.

Send some of that snow out my way, BrianJ.

I used to live near Syracuse, and my wife's family is from Pulaski. Where are you?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!