iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found a New Job on My Mill

Started by just_sawing, December 12, 2006, 07:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I finally found a new job to add to my mill routine. While sawing I looked up and saw four deer grazing. Stop the mill got my rifle and dropped three of them. I love living in TN where you get three a day. Meat in the freezer and poplar on the mill.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Coon

Gotta love that in a sense.  However it kinda takes the fun out of the hunting scenario.  But I guess you can't be working and hunting at the same time (except in your case). digin_2 digin1

You gonna split them on the mill too? :D :D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

rebocardo

> Meat in the freezer and poplar on the mill.

Got to be a song in that somewhere  :D

Yea, on my property in ME once, not hunting season, I had 5 deer run along with my truck down the road. Something to be said about being urban.

jon12345

If you lube with water I don't see why it would be a problem  :D I know people who use their shop bandsaws to process deer, or chainsaw with veg oil  :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

farmerdoug

Yes, but what about the problems with the coyotes chewing up the mill night? :o

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

jpgreen

just_sawing... YOU are a sawmillin' GOD..  pinkie_invert
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

jon12345

Maybe a nice perimeter of legholds disguised in the fresh sawdust from the day would deter coyotes from gnawing on the paint job.  Alternative Sawmill Products is going to be a big hit :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Cedarman

When sawing deer steaks with the WM, is it best to quarter saw or rift saw?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ely

cedarmn, i would have to say a true crosscut on a ham would render the best steaks.

Tom

In that case, how do you start, with them on their back and their feet in the air? :D

When do you turn them?

Sheesh!  What an opening! :D

just_sawing

I guess it is time for the rest of the story. My help has been asking me about Deer hunting since he had never been. When I shot the first about 175 yards two started to run across the field. I told my help holler at them He said huh. I said holler. He did and they stopped. I shot another. I told him do it again. He did and I dropped the third.
He now understands that all you do is holler at a deer and they will stop for you to shoot.
You can follow me at

ely

well at least those three would ;D

now tom back to the steaks, (boy it did not take long to turn this into food)
if i was sawing steaks from a ham i would freeze the ham then take a piece 1x12 about 4 feet long and cut a 4 inch hole in it. then clamp that on the deck, bring the ham out and set the shank down in the hole. you could start sawing steaks off the top. any thickness you like. i am not sure about the quality of them because the muscles are going several different directions  in the ham. but it would make steaks non the less.

Tom

I think that is what is called a round steak. 

I was just wondering, if you put the deer on the sawmill bed with his feet up, and  started sliceing (you'd get round steak first),   When would you turn him.    And, would you turn him 90° or 180°.

I guess you would have to pay a lot of attention to the grain. :P :-\

submarinesailor

Ok, this is no fair.  I fall off a ladder while working to expand my saw mill building, get all busted and twisted up and miss a good chance at a BIG bear.  And you get 3 deer while sawing.  No Fair, foul time out. ;D ;D ;D ;D

See I told you guys that Murphy lives in my back pocket.
:D :D :D :D
Bruce

just_sawing

I just had to do it. I was back into sawing Poplar and sure enough there were two more deer showed up. I wonder it poplar atracts deer. Meat in the freezer and sawdust on the ground.
You can follow me at

jpgreen

This would be a great new angle for sawmil sales..  :D

Cedarman

Since it seems best to saw deer steaks when frozen, is it cold enough to freeze outside or will you have cut up the deer and take it inside to freeze?
I assume you would use vegetable oil as lube or is it better to use olive oil?

Tom

Why not use butter?   Contented deer don't move around too fast, so the thing to do is run out there and milk them first.    You could tie the milk bottle to your foot and it would churn into deerbutter on your way back to the mill.  This would allow you to take your time getting the gun out of the truck and you would have blade lubricant too.

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Tom on December 13, 2006, 04:41:53 PM
I think that is what is called a round steak. 

If you run the steaks through the edger, do you then get square steaks?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

jpgreen

The heck with the rilfe in the truck... Mount a gun rack right on the saw head..  :D

Tom

No, that's called "cubed" steak.  

I buy you books and buy you books and you still don't read them.  :D :D :D

Fred

I think Grade Steaks would be good about 4/4" :)
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

Cedarman

Do you think the deer dust from all this sawing would make a good deer burger stew?
Or would there be too much butter lube in it?

Tom

By Golly, Hadn't thought of that.  I'll bet it'd make good 'burger.

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Thank You Sponsors!