iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My hard Head......

Started by Cypressstump, July 26, 2012, 08:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressstump

Talked to a guy yesterday that has a couple huge live standing cypress trees. Said I could get them for nearly nothing, maybe just some board later. Said to be 120 tall each, no limbs for 60-70 feet, solid , non-lightning struck, in open field on his property, solid ground, easy access, and other things that sounded too good to be true..... drawbacks are they are 80 miles from me, said to be 5 feet diameter breast height, and he has no equipment, the sticker is I have till today to make a commitment or else offer will pass on to others. I can pay the guy  now and take the trees down at any time per our discussions.

I need some new cypress for future needs, have a stationary mill, my forklift is too heavy for my trailer therefore would have to rent one, would have to reduce the bases dramatically to fit in my mill, everything points to reason why I should NOT agree to take the trees. But yet I am inclined to get them..... I that really,really bad reasoning?
;D ;D ;D
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Magicman

Bad reasoning usually wins out and it is sorta like eating an elephant one bite at the time.  Buck those butt logs short and just whittle away at them.  I have sawed Cypress logs that had been felled 2-3 years and they were still wet inside.

My Dad always said; "opportunity knocks once, and then kicks you in the butt and walks away".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

Quotesaid to be 5 feet diameter breast height

Lots of cypress I've seen has huge butress flares at breast height so that 5' diameter could be misleading. 80 miles isn't that far to go take a look.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

DanG

Don't let lack of equipment keep you from getting those logs.  You can easily parbuckle them onto a trailer with a winch, tractor, or a second vehicle.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Cypressstump

Somehow I had already made my mind up after talking to to the guy, them trees are mine....... ::) I'm headed over there today after work to take a gander.

I'm gonna need a bigger trailer.! This dang sawmill is forcing me to obtain more equipment, how'd that happen? ;)
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Buck

It's an obsession.   Or was that a statement about something else? ::)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

js2743

Maybe take the mill to the trees, that way you could haul the lumber home much easier than hauling the logs.

hackberry jake

Did you really think we were going to tell you not to go for it? 8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

kelLOGg

Nah, I'd leave um alone. Too much trouble. Now, what was that address again? ;D ;D
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Cypressstump

Gotta change the 'tree viewing' to tomorrow....  :-\
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

customsawyer

I would be thinking about sticking a saw in one before I paid any money for them as I have seen several Cypress that size that are hollow or large rot area in the center. Do a bore cut with the chainsaw before any money and see what color the sawdust is.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Cypressstump

Well,

Had to pass on the trees. The discussion via phone lead to an additonal amount of large standing cypress, I had asked about wetland issues and was told the trees were in a "pasture", high and dry. Turned out a couple small treess were in fact high and dry, the large ones were in my difinition, wetlands. Impressive trees at that. Don't want to be fighting the corp of engineers or DNR over wetlands.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

Magicman

Sounds like you gave it a fair shot and made the correct decision for you, and that is what really matters.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!