iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a Post Oak?

Started by Don K, March 09, 2010, 05:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

Can somebody identify this oak for me. I think it is what I call a post oak. Next question is.... would it make good lumber for furniture.

This tree looks to be kicking the bucket and I love resurrecting the dead.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

ely

i would say yes. keeping in mind i have limited resources when talking about tree species. :P
look at the tree from a distance. if it looks like the bark is twisted on the trunk between the ground and the first limbs, you should probably saw it a little on the thick size. to allow for movement.

bottom line is if its dying anyway, go ahead and make lumber out of it. personally i would q-saw the  tree. it will look great plus take away some of the movement in the drying lumber.

Don K

It does have a slight twist. Left to right, ground up.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

pineywoods

Looks like post oak to me. Best lumber for trailer decking.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Banjo picker

Its a post oak....don't know about furniture.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

fishpharmer

I vote post oak.

I saw a fella's living room that made his floor of Post oak.  It was beautiful.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Don K

I've had my eye on it a while. My future sister-in-law told my wife that no dead pine was safe with me around after watching me take down the big pine and another one at Dad's. :D :D Heck, after the big red oak, all big oaks may not be safe either. ;) ;D

Wish it was already cut and dried. It would make a good floor in my woodshop.

Don

HOOF-ER

Post Oak for sure. I had one sawed a couple years ago that was on my dads place. It was hanging waaaay out over a field and was about 40" DBH. Wanted it quarter sawed and the sawyer did not quite get it there  :( so it is almost all rift. It should have had tremendous stress . Lumber turned out very nice . Used some of the boards for cabinets.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

WDH

Don, definitely cut it up.  Post oak is not considered as good a quality as white oak, but since post oak is in the white oak group, I bet you will get some fine lumber if q-sawn. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Don, I quarter-sawed a big post oak this spring, and the lumber has dried beautifully with very little defect. The ray fleck is impressive! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Don K

Sounds like a winner to me. :)

Don

Thank You Sponsors!