iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bilzzard Of 1978

Started by Autocar, July 24, 2010, 08:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

With this hot weather lay back in your chair and think about the coldest day you logged in. Well do ya feel any cooler ?  :-\ We had snow so deep that most county roads were one lane,I remember my west coast mirrows rubbing in places where they couldn't get the snow back far enough. I was cutting a red oak job just a mile south of the house. I walked into the woods with a pair of snow shoes and pulled a home made sled for my fuel and saw. I cut a number of trees limbed them off and moved on . Just about the fourth tree it cut hollow,I never give it a thought about how deep the snow was till the tree tipped off. Here I was cutting them about four feet above the ground and never realized it till the hollow one showed up  ;D
Bill

Ironwood

It was pretty ugly in Ohio that winter, we had a blizzard and I nearly got lost trying to find my home from the field out back, ZERO visability and it was SCARY for a 11 year old, never forget it.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Cedarman

Yesterday evening our family walked out of a restaurant at about 9 PM into rather warm air.  I made the comment that I would much rather walk out into this warm humid air and suffer the daytime heat as to come out into sub zero temps like we did in the late 70's.  Yup, I remember those 2 nasty winters.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SwampDonkey

I remember it started snowing a couple days before Christmas, ended up with 4 feet. On Christmas day it was sunny, but the wind was blowing hard and it was about 40 below in real air temp. After the snow settled we could walk on the hard packed snow, we had one lane roads and you could stand on the snow bank and touch the hydro wires.  ;D

Our deepest snowfall however was in 2007-08, by the end of April we had over 12 feet that year. The rabbits were able to eat the tops off trees 6 feet tall. ;D Our mildest winter was in 1980, no snow and the locusts leaved out in Feb, and died in March which was a colder month, but not severe just below freezing.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

4 of us once marked a pulpwood thinning on a 4 degree F day with probably a 10 mph wind.  It sucked whatever warmth your body generated right out of you.  Eyes watering, ears freezing, fingers & toes freezing. Just couldn't move fast enough or work hard enough squirting paint to keep warm.  I was surprised the paint didn't freeze in the guns.

We ate lunch in our trucks with the heaters running.  Even with that, the windshields froze up on the inside. But it was only about 20 acres to mark and we finished that day.

Raider Bill

I delivered a baby in the back of my Police car while on the way trying to get The Mother to the hospital during that storm. Snowed so much the red lights on top were covered and of no use. Even the siren was plugged.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Randy88

My god guys how do you remember the year like that, I can't even remember the year my kids were born!   Two really bad years for me that I can remember one might have been late 70's or early 80's all I remember is I'd never been so tired of shoveling snow in my life and running a snow blower on a cabless tractor freezing to death.   Every day the wind blew and it snowed my now father in law had pictures of his jd 4020 parked on the roof of his two story house, he drove it up the snowbank that covered one side of the house and walked around and took the picture from the lower side.   The other was in the mid 90's during deer season, one night we left the woods and without any snow and the next day we used a tractor and snowblower to go deer hunting, by our tree stands the snow blew in 14 ft deep I know because thats how far off the ground the stand was and it was under the drift.   That was the start and it only got worse that year, I was out of power for over two weeks and snowbound for a month, the maintainer gave up getting to us, we went out using the snowblower to make a path and again back home.   It took until almost may to melt the snow off the road past our house that spring.   We put up electric fences above the regular fences to keep cattle in and in the spring the top most electric fence was 12 feet off the ground.    I was ready to quit that year and head south were it was warm, I told my wife we should burn the tables and chairs in the middle of the living room to stay warm, the wind blew 40mph every day and we lived in an old drafty two story house, that winter the furnace never once shut off it ran 24 7 and we still froze.   

saltydog

i remember it well . i was 10 we were snowed in for 4 days the snowplow got stuck in a drift in front of our house .i remember going to school -30  not the wind chill actual temp .the bus windows were froze solid never thawed .froze my toes ice scateing that winter they still hurt in winter.i miss those days that was real U.P. winters .it was always calm down in the ceader swamp.and the water never froze the deer yarded in them by the 100s .our back 40 was a old growth ceader swamp.part of it still is.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

SwampDonkey

My uncle has pictures at the house where grandfather was shoveling roofs off at the camps and the snow buried the camps that winter, clean to the eves. That was in the 50's. Environment Canada here doesn't have reliable records for anywhere except the cities. Everyone here knows that, and you still have them on the radio telling lies. That fiction is only valid to within 60 miles of the coast. I have to get the records from Caribou, Maine to get anything but coastal city weather.  8)

In Dec. 1978 we had 40 inches of measurable snow depth, that's not total snow fall, but measurable depth. 2008 had 198 inches of snow (snowed most every week after October  with 6" or more) and those 50's (55) in grandfather's day had 181 inches.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

blizzard of 78 I was cutting firewood for my own place hand to mouth(weekends dead trees for the next week)  ina spring I went back to all the winter trees I cut and got the last three feet for fuel :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!