iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on Chainsaw Mill

Started by HRTULL, November 30, 2017, 05:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HRTULL

I have several 20 to 24 inch walnut , ash and white oak 10 to 12 feet in length.  I want to mill some of this for personal use and cant justify a bandsaw mill. Would like to mill at about 2 1/4 x 6 and stack dry. For under $700 I can purchase a MS 070 from Huztl with a 36 inch bar as well as their 36 inch chainsaw mill and buy  well known brand rip chains from another source. Just wanting to mill about a dozen logs and am in no great rush doing it and when finished have a big saw to keep. From watching many  youtubes it seems do able but also looks like it could be punishing. Would greatly appreciate some insight, advice on this subject. Thanks  HR Tull    OHIO

Kbeitz

I don't want to discourage anyone but have you ever tried chainsawing
wood against the grain ? It's tough...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Klicker

Have you checked for a local  sawer to mill it. It might be cheaper and  give better wood and more wood. But I have my own mill and have thought about getting a chainsaw mill for the ones that don't fit my mill. Rod
2006 LT 40 HD

TKehl

Don't forget the Gatorade and extra strenght Asprin.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Flyingpig

Chainsaw milling can be a lot of fun, sometimes frustrating and always hot, hard work. I've done a fair bit of it in the last two years. You will want at least a 100cc saw if you can get one. I run 2100 Husqvarna saws on my Alaskan. I gave a 36" bar and a custom built mill that allows for a 34" cut width with my dogs removed. As stated above, rip cutting is a tough go, especially with a standard grind. I run a lot more hook(like 45*), a 0* top plate angle and my rakers at 0.045". With the 2100 it basically self feeds with those numbers. If you only have a few hundred board feet to do I say go for it. But get into your set up as cheaply as you can, and get a good straight guide board at least a foot longer than your longest cut on each end.

Enjoy!

Thank You Sponsors!