iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Survivor - Cagayan - 2014

Started by clww, February 26, 2014, 09:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clww

The newest installment of the CBS series "SURVIVOR" started tonight. The newest is "Survivor- Cagayan". They are "stranded" on an island in the Philippines. Three teams again, this one pits "Beauty" VS "Brains" VS "Brawn".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

firecord

Some really hot girls on all teams. The "other life style guy" seams kind of funny an Cliff Robinson seams like an ordinary guy

clww

"The Brains" are not doing well. Started with 6 at the start and are soon to be 4. ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

okmulch

Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Mooseherder

If these contestants are a reflection of our society we are doomed.

Magicman

Not much brains.  It's crazy how a team can self destruct so quickly.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I agree Lynn, the Brainy bunch is definately missing something!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Wenrich

Commons sense is not very common anymore ...  Mark Twain

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

I would not let the Nuclear Scientist do any more puzzles  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

If you were stranded on that island which group would you not want to be with.  The brains look like they never got to play with other kids in the back yard and build forts.  :D :D  Have they never watched a survivor show?  Rule 1.  Never tell someone you have the immunity idol. (Always bring it with you too).  Rule 2.  Never tell someone you are voting them off. 
Another strategy.  When forced to pick the weakest member like they did at the beginning, say to the group that you are not picking the weakest, you are picking at random and hope the team will do their best to make it up if they have the chance.  Get the monkey off your back and put it on Jeff's back.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Cedarman

Quote from: WDH on February 27, 2014, 07:48:35 AM
I would not let the Nuclear Scientist do any more puzzles  :).
She is a puzzle.  Should have been boxed back up and sent packing.  Throw my food on the fire will you.  Can you imagine if that had been grits, not rice?

Raider Bill

I'd have liked to see David stay awhile and le tia or whatever her name chunked right off. Did you see the evil in her eyes?

I'm real glad the poker player muscle head got bumped with his idol.  Splain dat fool. :D

Next person on my hit list is the Jersey City Cop. Did I hear what he said correctly, he's building a secret listening post?  ::) Boys got small man complex big time.

I like the 8 foot b-ball player hope he stick around.

:new_year:

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Pullinchips

were still back on novembers episodes of last season. Our son was born in november and our DVR missed a few episodes so its a pain to watch online. NO spoiler on the season please
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Cedarman

Pullin' , you might want to put that DVR on overdrive and get caught up for this year.  'cause us addicts got to have our survivor.

goose63

I think all of those reality shows are a bunch of bologna
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Raider Bill

Quote from: goose63 on February 27, 2014, 03:53:37 PM

Let us believe this one is honest, factual and not staged.  :D ;) :)

Don't know if anyone watched "Warlocks Rising" on the history channel or not. It was only 4 episodes long about a local chapter of a national 1% motorcycle club. Anyway I'm friends with the main guy on the show. I'd say it was unbelievable how they do these shows but really it's scripted just like you think with exceptions as they go along. He made good $$$ doing it though.

But Survivor is unscripted and real ;D
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Cedarman

I won't rain on your fantasies, if you won't rain on mine. :D :D

goose63

Quote from: Cedarman on February 27, 2014, 04:41:42 PM
I won't rain on your fantasies, if you won't rain on mine. :D :D
ok  ;D :)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

clww

[/quote]
But Survivor is unscripted and real ;D
[/quote]

Right....Just like Axe Men. :D :D :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wrastling is real.  :D At least that what we think in the South.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Roxie

This thread is for those who enjoy the show and want to discuss it with other members.  If you don't like the show or don't want to know the outcomes, please feel free to not follow along. 

It thrills me that this year, they haven't brought in any "old" players, and the players that they have look ready to rock and roll.  So far, I really like the lady that they voted off the first Brawn team, and she took the rice for the team rather than the idol. 

This looks like a better season.   8)
Say when

Chuck White

I agree Roxie, at least in the begining she believed in "team effort"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Yup, the lack of old players was the first thing that I was looking for and I was happy to see none.   I was also happy to see the redemption island distraction gone.  Lets just play.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

Yup, I've never liked having all old players.  I didn't mind one or two.  RI didn't work out too well.  Won't miss it either.
Did I hear that this is supposed to be the wettest one yet?

clww

Quote from: Magicman on February 28, 2014, 04:21:11 PM
   I was also happy to see the redemption island distraction gone.  Lets just play.   :)
Holy Cow! :o
Show's how much I pay attention. That important fact slipped right by me the other night! ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cedarman

clww, what in the world were you paying attention too!! :D :D

Magicman

I also noticed that distraction.   :D

JohnM

Need to get our rabbit ears fixed not getting NBC nor CBS atm.  No cable or sat for us.  We haven't missed a season of Survivor since the first season.  My mother got my wife hooked on the first season and it was downhill from there. ;)  I'll admit I pretty much tuned out for last season but you guys are making it sound like they've gone back to their roots.  A trip to Radio Shack is in my future for new rabbit ears. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Cedarman

Hope springs eternal after last season's bust.

Papa1stuff

Yes they finally got smart and got rid of the food thrower  smiley_clapping smiley_bounce smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_clapping smiley_bouncing_pinky ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Magicman

I am afraid that it was too little too late for the brains tribe.  The preview said merge.

Raider Bill

Brains are down to 3 players they had to merge. I'd sure have hated to see the basketball player get sent home, can't believe they tried to lose and didn't....

Cops r us...jeesch..... he's a jerk and she's a affirmative action idiot.

WDH

I am glad that the nuclear scientist is gone.  Very poor player.  Cost the other Brain tribe members the game.  They are done for. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

The brain tribe was doomed at the first vote when vengeance got ahead of their brain.

Roxie

My favorite part of the evening was the deja vu discussion about the rooster and the hens.  Since this isn't the first time we've witnessed a complete lack of knowledge of egg laying, I have to conclude that things I considered common knowledge are indeed beyond the scope of twenty somethings.   :D

That was entertaining! 
Say when

Raider Bill

Quote from: Roxie on March 13, 2014, 02:27:54 PM
My favorite part of the evening was the deja vu discussion about the rooster and the hens.  Since this isn't the first time we've witnessed a complete lack of knowledge of egg laying, I have to conclude that things I considered common knowledge are indeed beyond the scope of twenty somethings.   :D

That was entertaining! 

That had us cracking up too! :D :D

JohnM

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 13, 2014, 02:59:26 PM
Quote from: Roxie on March 13, 2014, 02:27:54 PM

That was entertaining! 

That had us cracking up too! :D :D
Yep, us too. :D  Wife and I were literally yelling at the TV, "Why are they killing the hen?!"  But to be perfectly honest before we started raising chickens I'm not sure I could have told you you don't need a rooster to get the eggs. :-[
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Cedarman

When one of the girls said she had never been that close to a chicken, I about cracked up.  And these people are among us when we go to the city?

What was with getting the flag on the hoist?  They not "feel" well?

Raider Bill

Quote from: Cedarman on March 13, 2014, 03:21:14 PM
When one of the girls said she had never been that close to a chicken, I about cracked up.  And these people are among us when we go to the city?

What was with getting the flag on the hoist?  They not "feel" well?

Educated Idiots

WDH

Concerning the flag on the hoist.  Almost looked staged.  Who could be that dysfunctional?

Mooseherder

The poor contestants bumping themselves into the railings was pretty mean-spirited at the last immunity.  The crew who set that up is made up of some crotchety ole bats. :o

Cedarman

Those railings looked to be just the right height to do maximum damage.

Chuck White

Couldn't believe it when they butchered the hen.

It's not like they're going to be there long enough for the rooster to fertilize the eggs that the hens are going to lay.  DUH !!!

THEN, the women didn't know anything about egg production!

WHEW !!!!!

Raider Bill

Quote from: Cedarman on March 14, 2014, 07:45:15 AM
Those railings looked to be just the right height to do maximum damage.

I have to admit a couple time when they ran into the railings I cringed and grabbed the jewels :D :D

clww

Quote from: Chuck White on March 14, 2014, 11:12:29 AM
Couldn't believe it when they butchered the hen.

It's not like they're going to be there long enough for the rooster to fertilize the eggs that the hens are going to lay.  DUH !!!

THEN, the women didn't know anything about egg production!

WHEW !!!!!
I could not believe they let the rooster live, either! DUH!!! ::) ::) ::)

First merge tonight.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cedarman

Looks like it is better to smart and lucky , rather than smart and "dumb".

WDH

The basketball player had a big target on his back.  Given all the money he made playing professional basketball, there was no way that the other survivors would let him win a million dollars. 

Raider Bill

I liked  cliff though. Did you hear him laugh when they were trying to pry him off the pole? :D
I'd of got rid of trish.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Raider Bill

The skinny blonde is getting on my nerves.

Cedarman

Just watched the last episode.  The snapping of alliances was pretty loud.

Papa1stuff

Not much interest in survivor this year?
I think they sent the wrong one out ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Jeff

I actually like this years better than several of the previous offerings.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Cedarman

I agree that this year has been fun, especially after getting rid of a few odd balls.
Last weeks was one of the best for wheeling and dealing and keeping us watchers guessing.
I find all of them interesting as they are all different.
Looks like the cop is stirring the pot next week.

WDH

Mooseherder

The past few weeks have been good. :)

JohnM

So much better without the recycled players.  Still say they should have an 'eye candy idol'. ;D  Guess being 'cute' didn't help her much last night.  I don't even start to remember anyone's name til around now and it's still only 50-50 at this point. :D

r.man

I have watched some survivor in the past and I always thought it should be called " Politics ". I do know that you shouldn't confuse smart with savvy. Someone who is savvy is generally smart but not necessarily vice versa.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Raider Bill

I've missed the last 2 and will be missing 1 more next week but will catch up when I get back to Florida. I think this has been a great season up to what I've seen.

Cedarman

Raider , if you don't enjoy the ending of the first one you missed, you won't enjoy any of them.  It was one of the very best.

clww

And then there were 6......
Gets more interesting after tonight. Well, more interesting with each passing week, which is the way it should be.
Jefra goes home after tonight's vote, Tony has TWO idols now, and there are an equal amount of males and females.

The plot thickens... :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cedarman

This has been a lot more fun to watch than the last couple of seasons.   I like them all this time around.

Magicman

I agree.  I am even looking forward to the next episode.   ;D

WDH

Tony is a very good player but I don't think that he will win.  If Tasha makes it to the end, I predict that she will win. 

Raider Bill

I'm all caught up.
Tasha's playing very good game.
Tony's magic idol is going to be a game changer.
Great season!!

clww

If he plays either idol in the next two weeks, he's a lock for the final four. If he wins an Immunity Challenge, he's in the finale.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jeff

I don't like the powers of the new idol.

Magicman

I really do not either.  I realize that he found it on his own, but that Special Idol gives him a serious advantage.

JohnM

Quote from: Jeff on May 01, 2014, 07:59:49 PM
I don't like the powers of the new idol.
Quote from: Magicman on May 01, 2014, 08:12:02 PM
I really do not either.  I realize that he found it on his own, but that Special Idol gives him a serious advantage.
I thought the same.  That is too powerful.  That said, Tony is playing a heck of a game, idol or no idol. 

I've never seen in auction like that before.  Cheap food! musteat_1   :D

Cedarman

Remember way back when Cochran got an advantage at the auction.  That little bid helped him win a million.  The super idol would have been more fun earlier in the game.  If Tony didn't have 2 idols, it wouldn't be as important as it is now.  Those folks are scrambling!!

Raider Bill

Tony sure is a idol finding dude!

clww

Not like Russel was! 8) Imagine if he'd gotten a "Super Idol"?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Well, Woo played to lose, honorably.  There is not a lot of honor playing a game against a bunch of other people for a million dollars.  However, I would have voted for Tony too, as he, by far, outwitted and outlasted all the others.

Cedarman

I enjoyed this season much more than past seasons.
Would have been fun to what the last idol be played but Tony used it well anyway.
Woo is a standup guy and should benefit in real life for picking Tony.
They did their best to keep Tony from winning immunity in the challenges because they knew he couldn't solve a puzzle even if a million dollars was riding on it. :D :D

WDH

He is smart, just not puzzle smart.

More blood and water next time.  I hope it is better than the last blood and water one. 

Magicman

This series was the best in quite a while.  Tony earned his top spot by playing the game and playing the other contestants as well. 

Raider Bill

Yep hate to say it as I didn't like Tony from the start but he won this season hands down.

Woo whoo!

thekitz

I say this show is scripted for television, anyone feel the same way?
Norwood Manual HD36 sawmill - Stihl MS391 - F250 Ford Super Crew cab - 16 foot 10k GVW trailer - Logrite Fetching Arch - 22 ton woodsplitter - best dog in the world to keep me company and discuss anything

Ron Wenrich

What part is scripted?  The scripting comes in the editing of material.  They must have hundreds of hours of tape to go through for each show.  Do they put in a story line?  I'm sure they do.  They may pick who they want to be a hero or villain through the editing.  Some have complained about how they are perceived on the show. 

They also do some scripting in the way they cast the show.  They cast all over the country, then end up with a bunch of people from southern CA. 

But, when it comes down to the voting and the challenges, I don't think they're altering votes or giving some folks an advantage in a challenge.  I don't think they're letting them starve as much as they did in the earlier shows.  They're also giving better tools at the outset. 

thekitz

just 2 points to support this idea -

First, Tony goes out by himself with no one watching him and finds all the idols? remember when Woo and Spencer went looking for one idol? Second, the last couple of challenges were all puzzles?

kass was great at them, tony not so good ???
Norwood Manual HD36 sawmill - Stihl MS391 - F250 Ford Super Crew cab - 16 foot 10k GVW trailer - Logrite Fetching Arch - 22 ton woodsplitter - best dog in the world to keep me company and discuss anything

beenthere

QuoteI say this show is scripted for television,

It is, but there are people who enjoy it being that way.  Fun just to see the reactions after a show.
And it is amazing that a camera can be so many different and unusual angles to capture every subtle move. That takes a lot of cameras and a lot of editing. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Just a note, the survivor topics are for those that enjoy the show for what it is. In the past, we get nay-sayers in wanting to tell us how much you dislike the show or what ever.  Don't do that, because you will definitely get your torch snuffed and be voted off the topic... ;D ;)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

After Woo flip-flopped (again!) and voted out Kass, I lost most of my interest. Tony was the best player this time, hence he won. I never liked him, though. I would not have guessed any of the final five would have lasted as long as they did.
I do not think it's scripted, unlike most of the other reality (phony) shows.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cedarman

I think you find idols by going out and looking.  I find all kinds of things while out and about.  If have found old coins on log roads.  All kinds of Indian stuff, all kinds of tools.  Simply by looking as I move about.  Found an old wheat penny in a Burger King parking lot.  Wasn't consciously looking, just notice that stuff.  I am sure I would be surprised by all the stuff I have missed too.
The point is that if you look, you may find.  If you don't look, you surely won't find.  Tony looked and looked and looked.
I am sure there were many hours that they have nothing to do.  Why not look for the idols.
Remember Russell, he found most of his idols simply by looking.

WDH

They don't script losing 20 - 40 pounds. 

JohnM

Quote from: thekitz on May 22, 2014, 10:54:14 AM
I say this show is scripted for television, anyone feel the same way?
I think it's edited for TV.

We missed the first hour but watched the last two hours.  Tony earned the win but I've got more respect for Woo.  Did anyone else catch what the woman cop said about Tony showing his true colors on Twitter (or whatever)?  I thought that was very telling (if true), my sense is people are who/what they are whether on the show or 'real life'. 

All and all a good season that got back to the roots of the show, IMO.  That said, I don't understand the return of Blood vs. Water, I remember that as 'meh' at best.  But we'll be watching anyway! ;) ;D :D

Cedarman

I prefer newbies myself, but there must be a bunch of folks that were disappointed that their choice didn't win and other folks that want to see their choice win again.  Got me on why they do it.

Ron Wenrich

Its cheaper to make.  They have the casting pretty well done.  That can be expensive to find the people, and do the background checks.  They also know the lay of the land on how the game is played.  They can also dig up old challenges, which would also mean lower development costs.

The expectation is that it will make better TV because you have seasoned players to guide others along.  It doesn't always turn out that way.  As long as they get the viewers, they will keep bringing them back.

Mooseherder

I have been avoiding opening this thread because I had DVRd the last show and just got done watching it.  The season started slow for me but did get better.  I never felt strongly about anyone in particular winning.  I was hoping for Woo at the end.  The Geek addressing the jury in favor for Tony at the end was sour grapes and pathetic.  He isn't half the person Woo is.

Thank You Sponsors!