iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Teaching Modern Logging and Lumbering Methods

Started by Jeff, April 19, 2022, 09:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

My latest video, created to share some of the old Logging and Sawmill literature I have in a box, in a closet, in the dark, where no one has a chance to enjoy it.

This is a Teacher's packet from 1939 designed to educate about the Forest Product Industry! There was a lot in there, so I figured I would do it in two parts. I'll follow up with part to, if'n y'all think it's worth the effort after watching part one. :) let me know eh?

There is about a 1 minute introduction, telling you what I just told you.
Teaching 1939 Lumbering and Logging Methods - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Nicely done once again. I am really enjoying these! Keep 'em coming. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Walnut Beast

Story time with Jeff!! Very interesting 👍

Jeff

This was the hardest video I even made. You know how nasty it is to hear your own voice over and over and over stammering and stuttering? and then have to do it again? :D

Not my story here. I am reading what is printed on the back of each card. The map is really cool, but double size, had no idea how to present that.  I have plans for a video telling a story, basically of living in a Saw Cab, for a conservative estimate, around 50,000 hours and sawing 100 million board feet out of over 1 million logs.

reride82

'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Ed_K

Good video, on u-tube the music was louder than when you were talking and I had to keep adjusting. Is there a way to keep them both the same?
Ed K

trimguy

I didn't have that issue on my phone. I have some tone deafness, but usually what I hear is the music, and not the words.

Jeff

Ed, it is probably your right and left control. Not saying it aint the video, but it seems fine on my phone, my tv, and my tablet. All I can go by with is what I have. Actually the music is turned quite low I had thought. Ill look at part 2 closer. Im working on that now.

Jeff

Part 2 of Lumbering as an Industry is ready. If someone catches me talking outloud to no one in particular in the next day or three, please smack me out of my video narrating stupor and shut me up!  
Hope you enjoy part 2. Link to part one is on the description
Logging, Sawmills and Making Lumber and Forest Fires In 1939 - YouTube

Old Greenhorn

Another winner! It's like "Story Time with Uncle Jeff". :)
 How many of these do you have to work with? Great stuff.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

Ive got boxes of stuff. Please you guys, share where you can, much appreciated. Those two videos were more work than one made chasing and placeng cameras!

Don P

I love these, which is not good, we'll be throttled in a week :D.
The only editing comment for my eyes was there was a left spinout of one pic of a pair. That motion pulled my eye away from the subject page in that moment. Hmm, is it a "follow me" kind of cut.

Jeff

Its a rewind it and look at it again edit. ;)

Rhodemont

Very much enjoyed watching.  Really smiled every time I heard...1939 Modern day.  Well, I guess 2022 Moderen Day would be a whole new story, or maybe not.
Listening to all the steps of logging was fun .  Being a one man DIY pointed out all the same steps I do  to get a board or piece of firewood.  Actually I am about at the 1939 Modern Day stage (except my bunk house is much nicer).
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

aigheadish

Hey Jeff, I'm not somewhere where I can actually listen to these videos (at least right now) but I noticed the comment above about music being louder than voice. I may be telling you something you already know (forgive me if so!) but depending on what software you are recording audio in there may be a very easy solution. I've used Audacity extensively and there is an extremely handy filter called "Auto Duck" where I think you just select the two tracks (one voice track and one music track) and then click on Auto Duck and it reduces the music volume where you want it to quite nicely. Here's a forum thread for Audacity that has that info and some other solutions. 

Again, pardon if you already knew this and are doing it or some equivalent, just thought it may help your workflow if you hadn't heard of it. This may also help some other content producer if they hadn't heard of it.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Jeff

Iy you watch the last one at the end, you'll see where I was editing and on what. My chair, with a cheap android tablet and a twenty dollar app and dollar store headphones wearing Tammy's pink readers from her sewing room.  Top shelf operation! :D

In this case I think the audio was okay though, as I checked it after a few ways. The music was  only 7% volume during 93% narration

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Jeff on April 21, 2022, 08:13:42 AM
Part 2 of Lumbering as an Industry is ready. If someone catches me talking outloud to no one in particular in the next day or three, please smack me out of my video narrating stupor and shut me up!  
Hope you enjoy part 2. Link to part one is on the description
Logging, Sawmills and Making Lumber and Forest Fires In 1939 - YouTube
Very enjoyable, well done and very educational! 

Ed_K

This one was great the music and narration came out perfect.
Ed K

hacknchop

Often wrong never indoubt

Loony661

Very interesting to see what has changed, and yet what has stayed the same. Very cool vids, I enjoyed them!
Timberjack 230A
TreeMonkey 661c, MMWS 462c, MS 460 Magnum, MS 462, Homelite Super XL 925

Thank You Sponsors!