iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kerf thickness?

Started by Okrafarmer, October 29, 2012, 12:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I am using factory new Woodmizer Double-hard blades. I am quite pleased with their performance in log, so far. However, I am a bit stunned that the kerf is so wide. Right out of the box, the kerf seems to be about 3/16 of an inch or just a hair less. Definitely more than 1/8 of an inch. I was under the impression that some circle mills have a 1/4 inch kerf. So where is my big kerf savings? I keep thinking the kerf should be only 1/8 or so.

And how do you spell curf? My spell-checker doesn't like it. Cerf? Kurf?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

Seems the primary goal is good sawing from the band.

Kerf is right.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

Quote from: beenthere on October 29, 2012, 12:59:33 AM
Seems the primary goal is good sawing from the band.

Kerf is right.

I'll add it to the dictionary.   :) There, done.  :P
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

LeeB

How much is your blade fluttering? Buggered up v-belts and trash under them can cause a lot of flutter. Also insufficient tension on the band, or too much. Could also be set wrong. I usually get about 1/8" kerf or just a tad less.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Okrafarmer

I keep seeing this reference to a .087" kerf. In the book put out by/along with Woodmizer, for instance. But my kerf is at least .15 and may be more than that. Maybe .175, which would be twice the .087. Maybe a different style of blade would help. Just wondering.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: LeeB on October 29, 2012, 01:55:40 AM
How much is your blade fluttering? Buggered up v-belts and trash under them can cause a lot of flutter. Also insufficient tension on the band, or too much. Could also be set wrong. I usually get about 1/8" kerf or just a tad less.

Hmm-- you could be right. Maybe the old v-belts need to be replaced. Good idea.

Bibbyman

You didn't mention blade thickness. .055 blade will take a wider kerf than .045.

Set will also change the kerf.  I don't recall the set on factory new 7° DoubleHard blades but it may be more than other grinds.

We tend to use .100 for out kerf setting using 7° .045 DoubleHard blades.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Chuck White

Seems like a big kerf Okra!

I use .045 WM blades and set at .025, so .045 blade thickness plus .025 set, each direction equals a kerf of .095.

Less than 1/10 of an inch!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Surly not the blades, how much down pressure are you running. Should be 1/4" for good blade control. Not enough or none would let the big wheels variations make a bigger kerf.  Also bad guide wheel bearing or out of round guide wheels  .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

hackberry jake

I think it might be the blade. Too much set would be my guess. I got a wm blade with not enough set once. Okra if you could just take some of your set off and send it too me then we'll both be making (the right amount of) sawdust! 8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Nomad

Okra, if you're getting more than 1/8" kerf it's got to be more problem than just tooth set.  Guessing you're using .045 bands, you'd need .040 set to get a 1/8" kerf.  (.045+[.040x2]= 0.125)  Something else has to be not right.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

ladylake

That's right, the set to cut 3/16 would look nasty. Teeth would be pointing  just about straight out.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My blades are .045. When I saw a cant wanting 1 inch boards, I set my simple set at 1- 1/16 inch. That will give me a perfect 1 inch board.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ladylake

Maybe try pushing your feed rate more.   Steve

jcbrotz

Check your blade guides tilt, me best would be your rollers are not parallal with the bed. How much is your blade moving/fluttering when it running and not in the log? What blade are you running.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

drobertson

Okra, if your blade is a .055, the kerf should be in the neighborhood of .110.  this is what I set the Lt 70 I was working on for my friend.  It was cutting on the number.  I set mine for .093, using .042 blades, again it cuts on the number.  I have experimented with more set, in the .030 range, it starts to get a bit raggid.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kansas

We run heavy set, due to the fact we are cutting cottonwood a lot. But I would never figure more than 1/8 inch, and usually its less. There is one thing. When you measure a board, don't ever use the tape measure with the end on it. go up the tape a little ways and use that. That is something we have to make sure we drill in to the new guys that you don't just check the thickness by using the end of the tape. That steel thing can get way off. When you are cutting a bunch of half inch deck boards, and its off an 1/8 inch, due to wear, it can really mess things up.

Okrafarmer

Good advice, guys. The mill is cutting very straight and true, so I'm happy with that, but now it seems from what you're saying that some things need to be adjusted. I probably need to arrange for a WM rep to come and do one of the magical service calls and get all the stuff spiffied up and teach me a few things. Until then, I'll keep cutting straight lumber and loosing a little extra sawdust. I can replace the Vee-belts, and maybe that will help. They are looking a little rough.

Road Runner

Okra,  Woodmizer is having an open house in Newnan, GA on 11/3 and 12/8.  You might call them (770-251-4894) to see if they will be doing an alignment demonstration like they did in SC last week along with a quartersawing demo.  This would be a short trip for you and watching someone who knew what they were doing was time well spent for me.     
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

thecfarm

I have no idea what thinkness or kind of WM double hard blade you are using,but I have one and did not notice any diffeance with my other bands.To tell you the truth I don't even know if I can tell which is which now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MartyParsons

.042 thick blade is .090 thousants
.045 thick blade is .096
.055 Thick blade is .110
1/8" is .125  so all of the above blades are less than 1/8" total kerf.  Good rule is double the blade thickness = total Kerf loss.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

tyb525

Okra, on my mill, if the blade is too loose and the feed rate too slow, it will cause the blade to vibrate up and down and make the kerf bigger.

A major cause of this is a dull band, or simply too slow feed rate. It forces you to saw too slow, and due to the slow feed rate the blade heats up, expands, and reduces tension on the blade.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Okrafarmer

I haven't noticed much difference in kerf between a sharp blade and a dull blade.

Roadrunner, maybe I can make it to one of those WM demos. Sorry I missed the SC one. Wish someone had told me.

learner

I've just been running this LT40 SHD for 3 monthes now but have learned a few things about it. Your blade guides can Really affect your cuts and kerf. I suggest making sure the blade is running level accross your rails and guide rollers. Also make sure your feed is running true. Any up or down movement of your head can change your blade angle, tension and cut(you get waves in your cut).
I haven't figured out how to put pics on here so.  Check at the base of your vertical masts.  The upper guide rails and wipers.  WM reccomends cleaning the upper guide rollers daily.  I suppose because if something gets stuck to one of the rollers it can cause the head to move up over the obstruction and change your blade height from the rail. Hence a wavy cut and change in the kerf.  Just a thought.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

ladylake

Okra  From your past posts I think your feeding real slow, try pushing it some for a couple boards and report back.  Steve

Thank You Sponsors!