iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Backhoe or Tractor for Logging/Milling?

Started by SineWave, October 02, 2015, 08:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

If they want the machine bad enough they will get it. If your not using it all the time taking the batteries will help. You can buy a battery disconnect with a key, that would help deter the average idiot. Game cameras are my recommendation, cheap security with a time / date stamp, I've got 3 on every job and 3 I move around.

North River Energy

Barge Monkey, as a dedicated user, what do you recommend on the camera? Brand, model etc.?

Regarding the hoe: do a search on HeavyEquipmentForums.com and read as much as you can stand.  The 580ck was very popular, with a bunch of design variations, and just as many quirks.
It's been awhile, but Case/IH/New Holland construction had a pretty good parts look up system on the web.

Not so sure you're in danger of damaging cylinders if you tow carefully off the hoe.  Quickest easiest is to weld a chain slot bar to the upper back edge of the bucket, or hang a teardrop slide in the same area, and just go light and easy.  There should be provision to chain trig the boom to the tractor chassis for roading, and that should take any stress of the swing cylinders.

Regarding what you weld to, some hoe frames are made of cast steel and are difficult to weld.  Not saying the Case is like that, but you want to make sure before you go all sparky on the thing.

If you pull the batteries, leave bad ones in their place.  A frustrated thief might do worse damage if they can't take what they think they came for.

BargeMonkey

I've had good luck with the "Bushnell trophy cam", they come in alot of diff models and MP capability. You kind of get what you pay for, I think most of mine are the 8mp version with the no flash. Cheaper cameras have a small light or flash at night. I buy the "bear boxes" with the cables off amazon. I use 2 lag screws and mount the box then put the cable lock on. I mount them 10-15ft up, they are going to work for it if they want the camera. Tree limbs set them off, and I would use the lower sensitivity levels, mine get a picture every 3 seconds. Good batteries last almost 1 yr, and a 16 gig card holds alot of pictures. Locks and cameras just keep people honest, we make it known that any trouble or vandalism won't end with just law enforcement.

SineWave

North River Energy

711ac

Yeah, pull the batteries and stretch out the hoe, lower the "legs" and get a locking fuel cap.
I think you did right starting with a real earthmover. Tractors are handy, but tractor loader's are really for chores and will not take the abuse that a hoe will. For what you have in it so far, (at that price you will be spending some money on it) you can add a tractor later. Don't get me wrong, I love my tractor but there is also a large skid loader and an excavator in the shed as well.

Outer Rondacker

Keep the cab unlocked. If they want to go in they are going to go in one way or another. Best to let them open the door then brake out the windows. Locking cap is nice. A game cam could come in handy and can be  had for 50 ish bucks on ebay.

Thank You Sponsors!