iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by luap, March 18, 2019, 05:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luap

I have been one of those long time readers in the shadows and finally decided to come out . I own an American #1 circle mill and it has been for my own use although I have cut for neighbors, friends, inlaws, etc. Retired now so only enough sawing to keep the rust away. Located in the western Upper Peninsula. 

Bruno of NH

Glad you came out of the shadows  :)
Do you have any pictures of your mill.
I have a bandmill but someday would like a circle mill.
The best looking wood in the rough has circle marks.
That's just my opinion. 
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Texas Ranger

Welcome aboard, pull up a stump and sit awhile
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

luap

Quote from: Bruno of NH on March 18, 2019, 05:20:18 PM
Glad you came out of the shadows  :)
Do you have any pictures of your mill.
I have a bandmill but someday would like a circle mill.
The best looking wood in the rough has circle marks.
That's just my opinion.
Bruno

Yes ,I have pictures of my mill and will try to post them as I try to learn my way around the forum. This mill has a rack and pinion drive on the carriage rather than the typical drum -cable .

16 foot carriage head blocks tied together with a steel channel.

Brad_bb

Very nice!  Welcome.  You picked up on how to post pictures quickly.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Bruno of NH

Thanks for the pictures 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

dgdrls

Welcome the FF Iuap.
Your mill looks like a dandy,
I've never seem a big circle blade with the additional holes.
Is there an advantage to those??

what do you have for power?

Best

D

luap

Quote from: dgdrls on March 18, 2019, 06:58:40 PM
Welcome the FF Iuap.
Your mill looks like a dandy,
I've never seem a big circle blade with the additional holes.
Is there an advantage to those??

what do you have for power?

Best

D
I have no clue to what purpose the holes are for. I bought that blade used-reconditioned from 
menominee saw, a forum sponser and it has perfomed flawlessly for years. It is 48 inch dia with 44 teeth. I have a 671 Detroit diesel repurposed from a HD-14 bulldozer. smokes a little until it warms up but no lack of power

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Iuap.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome to our favorite place.
Great info here
I check this site every day that I am near a device, either computer or my smartphone.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

luap

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 19, 2019, 09:34:57 AM
Welcome to our favorite place.
Great info here
I check this site every day that I am near a device, either computer or my smartphone.
thanks to all for the welcome. I too check in here often. More so now that my physical condition has declined and my wife has threatened to take a hammer to my chainsaw to keep me out of the woods. I thought I would share a picture of my homemade tractor and loader that is in the micro logging category but has made the difference between not doing it at all  or getting some wood to the mill
I haven't figured out editing pictures as far  as rotation before posting. This tractor is 45inches,wide 6' long not including blade Hydraulic drive powered by 3 cylinder 52hp geo metro 1.0 liter

and or wood stove.

luap

Another picture . I double posted one picture and left out one I meant to include.

hacknchop

Nice set up and I really like your mill as well.  Welcome to the forestry forum 
Often wrong never indoubt

jimparamedic

Welcome fellow round blade sawmiller

OffGrid973

Welcome aboard and nice new seat on the log pulling rig...what is the top speed of that monster loaded with 3 birch sticks?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Peter Drouin

I like how you move wood 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Crossroads

Welcome to the forum, I like you loader!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

thecfarm

When you post the picture there is a place to rotate the picture.
I am enjoying you pictures. Like the way you haul logs!!!! I am very very fussy with my woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

luap

Quote from: OffGrid973 on March 20, 2019, 08:20:20 PM
Welcome aboard and nice new seat on the log pulling rig...what is the top speed of that monster loaded with 3 birch sticks?
It will move faster than you can walk and fully loaded is walking speed. On firm ground the second stage hydraulic will kick in and it goes fast enough to rattle your teeth.

luap

Quote from: thecfarm on March 21, 2019, 08:39:35 AM
When you post the picture there is a place to rotate the picture.
I am enjoying you pictures. Like the way you haul logs!!!! I am very very fussy with my woods.
I want my wood clean and I don't want to leave ruts. I have soft ground and ruts don't go away. I have no rock for problem spots. I do have a homemade trailer backhoe to help improve drainage of the worst spots.

thecfarm

Next time you drive by my place, stop in and I will load you up with some rocks. :D
When I am cutting firewood,I like to go in with a loader full of rocks and than come out with a load of wood. But doing that,I don't get much done on either project. Some of my wet holes are only a few feet. But that bog is well over 100 feet. I want to measure that out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BUGGUTZ

I hope this works, my keyboard has drool all over it! WELCOME!! I really like your setup. In my opinion nothing is finer than a noisy, leaky Detroit. I am around the U.P several times a year, I would love to see your mill in person if it is ever possible and cool with you.

Chuck
Everyone has to be somewhere.

luap

Quote from: BUGGUTZ on March 31, 2019, 07:41:43 PM
I hope this works, my keyboard has drool all over it! WELCOME!! I really like your setup. In my opinion nothing is finer than a noisy, leaky Detroit. I am around the U.P several times a year, I would love to see your mill in person if it is ever possible and cool with you.

Chuck
That is a possibility. PM me when you think you will be near Ontonagon and we can set something up.

Thank You Sponsors!