iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mini Ex with thumb to load logs

Started by jaymizer, July 20, 2007, 11:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaymizer

Hi Has anybody used and had any luck loading logs with a mini Ex with a thumb?
I saw now with a Woodmizer LT 40 and When sawing at my place I use a 6x6 Tank retriever to load my logs.

Dave Shepard

Welome to the forum! I have used a mini to load logs. It will pick up most of what we saw, but will have a hard time with the bigger stuff. That is a Kubota KX-121-3, and there is also a Kobelco SK60 there as well.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

logwalker

I use a Mitsubishi MM45 to log and all the associated tasks in the woods. But I am not fond of loading the mill with it. It just does not have the finesse to do it without the risk of damaging the mill or worse. Especially with the larger stuff. I consider myself an experienced operator with several thousand hours in the saddle. I use a forklift. But for everything else it is the best thing I ever came home with. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

kabe1953

G'day logwalker, I only use an excavator with grabs for all my log work, right down to placing logs (upto 16 tonne) onto the mill carriage. Admittably its not a mini ex but rather a Cat 320 or Komatsu PC300 but I am able to place the logs exactly where I want them and level them as well. I have tried using forks but you dont have the same amount of finesse as with grabs. If you look at the pic I think my grabs maybe different to what you describe as a thumb.
To transport logs I will wrap the grabs around the log  but for placing log I will just use the tips.
Kerry
Push him he go, Pull him he come

Robert Long

Welcome to the Forum,
I use a MAJCO grapple, I park it next to my WM mill, use my 4wheel tractor to bring logs to be milled by the grapple trailer, then lift the logs onto the mill with the grapple....this way I don't need to use my mill log loader and I can place the log right were I want it on the mill and I can even turn the log end for end as the grapple swivels 360 in both directions.

Also, when I get a good pile of slab on the side of the mill, I grab the pile in the middle with the grapple and lift it up to working hight and using my chain saw, I cut it into fire wood size and let the pieces fall into the bucket of the tractor.......I try to handle the wood as little as possible. 8)

Robert

karl

I use a mini kubota for the avg and small logs. It works well to unload logs from customers car trailers and pickups. I use it to sort mixed log piles and remove beams from the mill too. If I were going to buy a piece of equipment strictly for the mill it would prbably be a grapple, but the excavator was already in my sandbox  ;)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Thank You Sponsors!