iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another wide pine flooring question

Started by shinnlinger, January 06, 2011, 07:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Doug:
there are instructions here, on this forum, not in this section, about how to post pictures....
Jim

PS. a search should give you the thread location.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

shinnlinger

Well here is what I am doing.  I cleaned up the edges and made them a uniform width.  I started in a back room and you can see where I painted a brown stripe under the seam but quickly decided this was unnecessary.  I made the mistake of cutting the butts in the field at a 45 degree angle and wont do that on the main floor where I will just stick with square butt cuts.  I don't think I will need to use biscuits in a square cut scenario.  WIll sand in place with a drum sander and finish with a lambs wool tung or danish oil.

I am pleased with my decision to use ring shanks in my framing nailer, but I spray painted the heads black before using.  They look good and obviously a lot easier and quicker than most other methods.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

shinnlinger

Well I did the main floor with square cuts but stuck with the biscuits.  It looks good to me, but I still need to sand.
Shinnlinger

Dan_Shade

I like it.

The wide makes it nice and rustic.  Let us know how the sanding goes.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodsteach

Looks great!!

Can you tell me about that "plank chair"  that looks like a great student project for when they have "nothing" to work on.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

shinnlinger

The plank chair is from a design in mother earth news that my neighbor found.  I milled up some oak for him and he made me some chairs out of some of the boards.  They are nice.  One of my students made one out of pine but that didn't work out well.  I have my kids make bandsaw boxes or something on the lathes like pens or bowls.  Keeps them busy and then I sell them to have some spending cash I don't need to get an act of congress to spend.  I think the chairs would be a good addition to that list, but you will burn up some good sized hardwood boards on a relatively simple project.

Dave
Shinnlinger

Jim_Rogers

How about a side view or some plan details so we can make some up....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

PC-Urban-Sawyer

woodsteach

Thanks for the link to the article.

After looking at the article that chair looks a lot closer to the ground than shin's and at 6'5"   275 lbs getting back up from 6" off the ground might not be pretty!!

woods
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

shinnlinger

I will take some better shots and dimensions when I get back up there.  I believe the guy that made it for me did modify it some as he thought the dimesions were too low also.  I'm 6'4" and 260 myself and it is a comfy enough chair.
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

Laid some more flooring today, this time I put it down more conventionally and used biscuits at the butts wherever they fell.

Sorry about not taking pics of the chair, forgot that was getting more attention than my house, but I will do...
Shinnlinger

mmhailey

Great looking floor. I love the wide boards. A couple of questions?

I can see where you went from a 45 to straight. Was this a design element or necessary for the boards, or just to give the room definition?

Looks like you are nailing to a plywood subfloor. Are you still hitting joists with your nails, or are you just nailing it to the plywood?

Thanks

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

shinnlinger

Ok,

I went with 45 at first as I had random widths, but I wasn't sure I had 53 ft worth of each random width so by going 45 I shortened the distance needed considerably ( at least 30 ft) AND it does add visual interest.

I had a stack of lumber roughly were the 45 stopped so I put a seam there and had planned to 45 the opposite way for the rest, but realized that my bathroom wall is at 40 degrees and it would have looked odd running a 45 flooring next to a 40 wall so straight across it went.  Since that is the dining area it adds to room definition with the open concept and as it happens it works out well since I ran out of boards( these board were never intended for  flooring) and that actually worked out well as wife wanted tile in her kitchen so there you go.

Yes I nailed on the joists.  I can't imagine solely nailing to 3/4 advantech would do a whole lot of good.

Dave
Shinnlinger

mmhailey

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I really like the 45 angle on your floor, and think I will do the same on a floor I am doing.

Certainly hitting the joists with long rings is best, however if you needed more holding power when you don't have a joist, and you painted the heads of your nails, and used an air nailer, I would think 2 1/2" galvanized rings would work fine . If you had a question take two scrap pieces and nail them together and try to get them apart, I bet it will take a lot of muscle.

Did anyone ever tell you, that you look like the guy on mythbusters :-)

MM
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

shinnlinger

You can see in one room I cut the butts at 45 and in another I did square cuts.  I think I might like the 45 room better.  I used 3" ring shanks and 3.25"screw shanks.  And I think the pre-painted heads w/air nailer turned up high is the way to go.  It looks good and I can't think of any easier way to stick a floor down.

Dave
Shinnlinger

dablack

I'm really interested in how this floor turned out.  Have you sanded it yet?

thanks
Austin
Building my own house in East TX

shinnlinger

should be sanding within the month, but I really like it as it is so looking into how to knock off some spots.  Might modify a hand plane and try planing it instead to leave more character.
Shinnlinger

mmhailey

Have you thought about using a scrub plane? I used one on my floor in a few spots, and now that it has been down for several years, I wish I had done more. Just make sure you go with the grain so you don't make chips.

Just set the plane so it takes very shallow furrows, and use it to level out any high spots. After finishing it looks a lot like some of the high end wood floors that called themselves scraped. You can see an example at 

penningtonhardwoods.com/scraped.htm which I just googled using "scraped hardwoods"

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger

bigshow

whoa! that floor looks amazing!!! I'm jelly.
I never try anything, I just do it.

dablack

I saw the thread title and remembered this thread.  I thought, "hey, I wonder if he has pictures of it finished?"   Click to the last page and WOW!

Floor looks great!  What finish is on there?

thanks for posting
Austin
Building my own house in East TX

Thank You Sponsors!