iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil MS361 or MS361 Q

Started by waorgany, November 18, 2008, 11:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waorgany

Hey everyone, great site, I found it by plain luck. Thanks for all the great reading thus far. I have a question. I am replacing an older saw (yeah it doesn't matter)...I have decided on the Sthil MS 361, there is a dealer about 15 miles from the house. I am wanting to know if it is worth the extra few bucks for the "Q" version over the standard 361. Also I am wondering which bar lenght will be best a 20" or 25". I have been using saw's on and off for the last 30+ years. We recently installed an outdoor wood burning stove and my old little saw just isn't big enough to use for this much wood. I have about 20 chords I am working on now for me, and we always do about 12-20 per year for my mom in law too. Most of the trees we fell are 18-24" in diameter on averge, some smaller some larger. Just wondering what everyone else thinks would be the best set up for felling, limbing, bucking etc... Thanks in advance for the insight all the best.

Rocky_J

sawguy21

Welcome aboard.
IMHO, the Q is not worth the extra money. Save the coin for a spare chain or PPE.
The 361 is a very good saw happiest with a 20" bar. The 25" is a bit much especially in hardwood although it will work with a sharp skip tooth chain.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

I like the 20" on my MS361. It is balanced slightly to the handle end, so the bar doesn't rest on the chain when setting it down. A 25" would be tip heavy (price one pays if needing the longer bar tho  :) )

The trees you mentioned are the size I cut most of, and the only length bar I have for felling, limbing, and bucking.

As to the Q, I've thought only a few times that I might like that feature. When I bought the saw, however I was given a different impression of how it functioned. I thought letting off the throttle handle meant one had to engage the brake before starting to saw. However, gripping the throttle handle will release it. Still....don't think I'd want it on my Stihl.  :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

I would also skip the Q and get a 20 bar , mine does good with it .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

waorgany

Thanks everyone for the quick and great replies..sounds like the consincese is no Q and the 20" bar, that was what I was leaning towards, now I guess its time to roll down and get her thanks again all the best.

VTLogSlayer

My dad bought a new 361 without the Q, and we love it.  We got the 20" bar and love the thing. 
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

pbuehning

That is actually a second safety measure. If you are falling and not able to hit the chain brake or the inertia chain brake does not work by letting go it ensures the chain is not spinning if it does come in contact with you. Not a bad idea if you ask me.
My wife bought me my 361 (Christmas present-great woman) with this quick stop feature and I was gonna return it, 2 years later - my opinion has changed - I really like it. Its no problem to work with and I actually wish it was available on my other saws. Well, I guess the safety guys will see to that soon enough.

The 361 will pull the 20" no problem, but will be happier with a muffler mod.  Mine normally wears an 18" and just rips; on the same note, I've pulled 25" with skip chain and no problems as long as I use a "light" touch.
MS361C-Q (muff mod), MS200 (rear handle),026 (muff mod), MS290, (3)SXL-AO, 030AV, couple of old poulans and ??? # of projects

wi woodcutter

I agree 20" without the Q

Let us know how you like it.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

waorgany

Thanks for all the great input. I am going to try to get over to my local dealer today and have a look at both saws and figire out which one will work best for me. I am sure that they both will do great. I do kind of lean towards and error on the side of caution and safety...maybe that is from being in the Army for over 21 years!!! Thanks again, which ever I get I will post on here soon as I run through my first tank of gas, I sure have alot of wood left to block up before the snow starts to get any worse. All the best, RLTW.

Piston

I was also curious about this so thanks for asking, also it seems like most people are happy with the 20" bar as far as balance goes.  My lovely bride is buying me one for an early Christmas gift today and I wasn't sure whether a 18 or 20 inch would be better, I think ill go with the 20" now.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

waorgany

Brought home my brand new Sthil MS361 w/20" bar this aternoon, only had to make about three cuts...but this thing is very nice, couldn't be happier!!!  ;D I will cut about half the day tomorrow weather permitting and then again most the day on Sunday and will post to let you know how she runs. Thanks again I think I made the right choice for this new saw.

Piston

congrats on the new saw, i think ours both have the same birthday, i just brought mine home yesterday as well.  unfortunately they didn't have a 20" bar in stock so instead of waiting i went with the 18.  however im also very happy with my new saw......
whatdya know....as i was writing this the fedex guy just pulled in with my order from baileys!   8)
have fun waorgany!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

waorgany

Thanks Piston, yeap, just ran the first two tanks of fuel through here and she runs and cuts like a champ, very happy with the selection of and purchase of this saw, highly recommend this combo. Thanks again, time to go sharpen up the chain and continue to cut, maybe I can get the wife to start splitting...LOL.

tyb525

Stihl's get better after you run 5-10 tanks through them. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SawTroll

Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!