iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheap school lathe modification

Started by shinnlinger, March 10, 2011, 10:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi, 

Did this for my highschool shop lathes, but some of you might find it helpful as well.

With forum support, I drilled the tailstock and inserted a cutoff 1/4 -20 bolt so the handle/quilllock that tightens them can't be loosened enough so that entire cylinder spins.  I suppose it also makes it less likely that the handles will "disappear" also.  What was happening was they would get "over loosened" and the cylinder would spin and then the wouldn't tighten the stock enough or spin the handle (unsafe) or when the handle was tightened after the cylinder had spun some, it was not in the groove and it would damage the cylinder.

Hopefully this will work, did it to 5 JET lathes.  Poor design really as there should be a pin that prevents the spinning in the first place.

Here is the post that talked me thru it if you want to do something similiar.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,49526.msg716186.html

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Dave Shepard

Looks like a good solution. I really like your use of the v-block to guide the tap. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

shinnlinger

The school used to have a metal shop and some of the tidits are still around, like the taps and V blocks.....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!