iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Council Tool 8lb maul vs Fiskars Isocore

Started by JW IN VA, January 22, 2017, 09:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW IN VA

Your experience and thoughts, please.Thanks

Want to get another maul.No quite satisfied with current cheap mauls but can't go Husqvarna,Stihl,or higher price.

Gearbox

I found by accident that I can split better and faster with a 6 pound than a 8 pound . I snow plowed my 6 pound mall that I had for years up in a pile . went and bought a 8 pound and found that I just couldn't get the head speed up there for it just did not split as well.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

JW IN VA

I was actually wanting some info on the hardness of the edge.I know the Fiskars X27 needs ablock or stump under it to protect the edge from chipping

WV_hillbilly

another reason to split wood on a block with the Fiskars is safety for you . I also  find it easier on my arms if the log is elevated so I'm not swinging so low .
sometimes it goes thru the log so fast and easy it suprises you and the block stops it before you overswing  . I have been lucky a few times when too lazy/in a hurry to put it on the block and barely missed my feet and legs . when I have done this it reminds me to not take short cuts and put the log on the block   
Hillbilly

Woodcutter_Mo

I actually just ordered a Fiskars IsoCore 8 lb maul so when it gets here I'll try it out and let you know what I think of it. I generally do split on the ground so hopefully the edge isn't too brittle. I'll find out here before too long hopefully.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

JW IN VA

JW IN VA

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on January 25, 2017, 12:17:27 AM
I actually just ordered a Fiskars IsoCore 8 lb maul so when it gets here I'll try it out and let you know what I think of it. I generally do split on the ground so hopefully the edge isn't too brittle. I'll find out here before too long hopefully.
Thanks.That's what I am looking for.

Woodcutter_Mo

My IsoCore maul should arrive today so as soon as I get to try it out I'll let you know what I think of it.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Woodcutter_Mo

I got a chance to split some seasoned white oak and some fairly green black oak with the IsoCore lastnight. So far I really like it, seems to bust right through the wood. The handle feels alot different than the normal wood or fiberglass handled mauls, as the diameter of the handle seems slightly smaller and especially since it had rubber grip material up a ways which none of my other mauls had. It doesn't seem to "shock" the hands at all and I even over struch a couple pieces  :-X.
But the shape of the splitting head seems to work well and of course I havnt used it a alot yet, but the edge seems to be holding just fine splitting with the oak sitting on the dirt. Where I was at there aren't many rocks though.
But so far it seems to be a fairly sturdy built maul.

BTW, the sticker on the handle says the maul head is forged in Taiwan. If that's any concern.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

JW IN VA

Thanks.That's the kind of review I was looking for.

Blackgreyhounds

I've never used either... But, I have had nothing but excellent results with Council Tools.  Great value from a US company.

Woodcutter_Mo

Since I've gotten to use the IsoCore a fair amount now, thought I'd mention that when splitting there is a noticable vibration in the handle. You can kinda feel it flex when you hit a hard piece of oak, which still doesn't really have that "shock" feel to the hands like some maul handles do. It's not bad it just has a much different feel to it compared to the mauls I'm used to. And the cutting edge is still holding up just fine, I really like the shape as it really seems to fly right through the wood. Over all happy with the purchase 8)
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Woodcutter_Mo

Just as a final word on the IsoCore maul, I've split a fair amount of wood with it now and it's holding up well. I have gotten into some rocks with it and the edge is getting some wear on it now but I don't think it is wearing any worse than any other maul I've used. I do plan to cut out a thick slab to set the pieces of wood on when I'm splitting in a rocky area. The maul head design so far is my favorite part. I don't think I personally would buy one again just for the fancy handle, but it does work well.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

TheNerd

The Isocore is great maul. Not overly hard edge but should be used with a block or even plywood. The splits can be very violent, having to reset an resplits as they fell over or were knocked aside and using more force than needed. I work with large Douglas firs and Arbutus/Madrona from 3-6 foot diameter. Knots wider than burning size go to the hydraulic splitter everything else can be done with the Isocore.
I have my original maul from the 80's. It has a 6 inch long schedule 80 tube welded to the head to save the handle and have changed the cutting edge to stupid sharp like the Isocore. Sharp seems the way to go. This was done when I got it to; make it heavier than the 8 pound head, protect the handle and the sharpness makes kindling a breeze with the weight and sharp edge. It also works great on limbing a Douglas fir. Work the maul on the opposite side as your stance, working from the bottom to the top I can knock most branches off with one strike. I do cut larger than 4 inches for firewood with a CS-303T Echo.
The new store mauls are so dull as to be able to bounce back at you.

Woodcutter_Mo

Just a final update, the IsoCore maul is holding up good. The edge is starting to get some nicks dullness from hitting some rocks, though I don't believe it is being damaged worse than any other typical maul. I made me a 3-4" thick elm slab to set the wood on to prevent rock damage.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Thank You Sponsors!