iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Mills HM126 mod

Started by Napowan, April 16, 2016, 06:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napowan

Using 20v cordless drill to raise and lower cutting head.  Who knows.  May save me shoulder surgery one day!!!

There's never nothing to do.

ozarkgem

if it works use it. I like things that are powered.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

goose63

And its a master force cordless drill I have fore master force tools and like them and your idea 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Woodmonkey

Looks like I've found my first HM126 mod when it gets here next week.
Woodland Mills HM126, Kubota GST 4240 with grapple bucket, Ford 8N, Husqvarna 455 Rancher chainsaw.

Kbeitz

It would not take much to hook up a electric wheel chair motor to that shaft...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Give me some ideas Kbeitz. ;D Problem with that is having to mount a battery

Started my trailer build today for my 126.

Kbeitz

Quote from: fishfighter on April 16, 2016, 08:42:50 PM
Give me some ideas Kbeitz. ;D Problem with that is having to mount a battery

Started my trailer build today for my 126.
With the voltage of the wheelchair motors you could still use you drill batterys...
The wheelchair motors are almost the same as a drill motor.
I would buy an extra charger and take out the wire and guts.
Then you could just plug in your drill battery into the modified charger thats wired to the motor.
On the out side of the modified charger you could put a 3 way toggle switch.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

I like the way you think. ;D

In time, I am planning on adding hydraulics to my mill. I need help flipping  big logs and cants. :(

Kbeitz

An old engine lift makes for easy log rolling.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

I do have a backhoe, but it has been just so wet that I have to deal with so much mud. I started building a trailer for My 126. Stuff I had laying around. That way I can go to the log as needed.

Had an old axle that I pulled off an old trailer. Had to cut it to size to fit the new trailer. My welding skills are not the best, but I kind make two pieces of metal stick. ;D Besides that, I'm not suppose to weld. :D I did put a 12" piece of pipe thru the inside then I welded the axle up.

Woodland does have trailer plans for these mills. I do have one extension that puts the tracks at around 20'. The base of the trailer is 18'. When I add the tongue, I will make that removable. Don't need something to trip over. ;D

ozarkgem

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 17, 2016, 08:44:05 AM

what did you use for teeth on your backstops? Looks like the backstops from H#@&
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ozarkgem on April 17, 2016, 08:38:18 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on April 17, 2016, 08:44:05 AM

what did you use for teeth on your backstops? Looks like the backstops from H#@&

I have no idea what they was made for. I picked up 4 plates like that from the junkyard.
They have a welded seam of something as hard as carbide along both sides of each tooth.
It's very very hard to cut even with a cutoff grind wheel. I would never use them if I dint
have my blade guard stop on my mill. One hit with the blade on one of these would just
kill a blade.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Got some more done on the trailer today. The way I have the axle, I'm not going to fix it in place till I get the mill on, then try it on the road. Will move it if I need to.

Got the tongue in, just need some more welding there. I will be able to remove it once I move the mill in place. There will be some pins like what goes on a trailer hitch to lock it in place.

The most I have to move my mill is about 3 miles to another place I own that is about 300 ac.

JamieT

that drill mod is awesome!! will definitely be looking at doing that to mine!! thanks for sharing!!
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

DeerMeadowFarm

Cool mod and nice work on the trailer!

fishfighter

Well, she got her first run today. Success.  8) She is not only on a trailer, but now has power feed. 8)

Due to the fact that the controller will only work if everything hooked up, I added the second motor. After sawing a 6x6x13' sill with only one motor, that is all that is needed. In fact, I had to slow the speed down just a hair. ;D

I have a bunch more pictures of the build.

Bruno of NH

Nice work on the power feed :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fishfighter

Quote from: Bruno of NH on May 05, 2016, 05:25:23 PM
Nice work on the power feed :)

Thanks. Planning a power toe board next. ;D That is going to be real easy to do now that I'm on a trailer. In fact, that open the door to do a lot with this little mill. ;D

btulloh

I'm following all this closely FF.  Good work.
HM126

fishfighter

Forgot to add a picture were I mounted the batteries and the power pack for the motors. Really was the only place to mount it. :(

I will be going back and rewire it and put all wires in flex tubing.

plowboyswr

FF if you don't mind me asking, how are you going to charge the batteries? Are you hoping they'll have enough in them to last a days worth of sawing?
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

fishfighter

Right now I have two lawn tractor batteries in it. Running 24V. After asking about how long batteries last, I got a answer from Pineywoods. He pointed out that people that use power wheel chairs get about two days before having to charge the batteries. I will be ordering real power chair batteries off ebay. Seeing sets for $130, shipped. So, I think the batteries will last a long day sawing. If by chance I lost power, I can easy disconnect the rope and just push the head. That is the good point of using rope instead of a chain. ;D I did order a new feed control that member KB is using. I will be taking out one of the motors and the controls I have now and redoing my power feed. I will be dropping back down to 12V then. These motors will run on 12V. The second motor then will be added to raise and lower the saw head in the future. ;D

The power chair that I got had two 24V chargers that came with it. ;D One was a onboard charger and one was a big mother. ;D

When I add a power toe board, that will be ran by a winch. I will have to add a third battery. My plans are to mound both in between the trailer frame and tongue of the trailer. That winch or a second one will be running a log turner too! ;D

Other plans in the future are to add manual back stops that can be raise or lower like WM manual mills. ;D

It's all about trying to speed up sawing and making things easy on me at this point. ;D

DeerMeadowFarm

Thank You Sponsors!