iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little help on circle saw please.

Started by redprospector, January 14, 2017, 05:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redprospector

Well, things went south again this morning, so I called sawmill supply which is ran by the Morgan family. I was hoping that I could get an owners manual or something to educate me on the alignment of this thing. They told me that there are no manuals available for my scragg mill.  :(  But I still got an education. About 30 minutes after I had called, I got a call from the man who designed and built my mill. We talked about deer hunting for a while, and then got down to business. He took me step by step through the alignment process (I wish I would have been at the mill, but I took notes). When I got to the mill I started aligning it. Man was that thing out of whack! It took me a couple of hours, but I got everything pretty close. I'm going to have to have the blades hammered is one thing that I found, and the reason I said I got it pretty close. He said the blades on these things have to be hammered flat (and these are not).
At the end of the day today I didn't have a saw that would saw well for prolonged periods of time. What I did have was a better understanding of my machine, a definite direction, and the next step. Now hopefully I can find someone somewhat local to hammer the blades.
He did recommend the chrome teeth over carbide. I guess everything's a trade off.
How much room do you need for the Andrus grinder? This one opens to 10" between blades. I'm kinda leaning towards a small jockey grinder since my edger has insert blades too.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Ron Wenrich

Nothing like talking to someone who knows a lot about the machine.  I never thought about hammering a saw flat.  But, I've never been around a scragg saw.

The Andrus rotary isn't what you want, because it is just a manual type of sharpener and won't work on chrome.  I don't think you'll be happy with the Andrus power unit, since it works on a swivel, and you have to tighten it on the saw.  Jones also makes grinders.  Several types out there.  A saw doc may be able to guide you to what you should have.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

paul case

Morgans are top notch.

I had 2 resaws and a chop saw built by them. I also nce needed some info and called the number on the brass tag on one machine. I got Mr Morgan on his cell phone walking around in a walmart. He knew exactly what I had and the answers on the spot, Very helpful.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!