iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When is the best time of year to buy a tractor?

Started by Logginsteve, June 10, 2011, 12:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logginsteve

With ridiculously good financing options out there, I think it's time for me to go with a new tractor.  Pretty much settled on a Kubota and, with the help of this Forum, 35hp or 39hp (not sure which model yet).  The question is...

What is the best time of year to purchase a tractor?  I live on Maine so we have the "dead of winter" effect on sales of pretty much everything, but I've also seen advice that you should buy at the height of the use season because that's when they start to see their numbers slip.  I know the latter advice is pretty much standard for things like swimwear, snow blowers, etc.  Which would mean buying around August for my neck of the woods.

Thoughts?

Steve

Coon

If you find a good deal, buy it now.  You'll wonder how you went for this long without it.  Heck, if you buy now you'll have some nice weather to put it to work and get used to it before the lulls of winter come along and you have to freeze your butt off plowing snow with it.  ;)  So... what you waiting for?   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Logginsteve

Heh... well, it's a matter of me being completely tied up with a home redo for the next few months.  There's no way I could do anything with a tractor of any note between now and then.  If high Summer is the best time to buy then I buy and it sits around for a few months, no problem.  But if the best time to buy is Fall then there's no point buying now.  With 0% financing for 60-72 months (and pre-approved wife authorization ;)) it's really about best time to get flexibility on the base price, discounts on attachments, etc.

Steve

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

bill m

Check with the dealer and ask how long this sale promotion will last. When that 0% on the model you want ends it may not be offered again for a long time if ever.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

caveman

I do not intend to seem like a smart alleck but the best time to buy anything is when you do not really need it.  This will give you time to seek out the best deal.  Also, if you widen your requirements for a tractor, you may have more to choose from that will offer a good value.  About a year and a half ago, I purchased a used (year old) Kubota M 7040.  Buying used reduced the price by about 1/3 when compared to new.  A couple of tractor dealerships in our area were asked to call me if they had any tractor come in on a trade or repo that would meet my requirements.  After a week or so a salesman called and we made a deal that day.  Caveman
Caveman

WH_Conley

Spreadsheet.

Might be better off to buy used and pay interest than new with no interest. Kinda like Caveman said. Sometimes the dealers get one back that will still qualify for the low interest and you can still get a big discount on the purchase price. Look at the hour meter and don't be afraid to ask.
Bill

Logginsteve

Caveman,

I definitely don't think you're being a smartypants :D  However, I'm not sure I've made myself clear about my logic here.  Since I don't need a tractor for the next few months, I have an opportunity to possibly take advantage of cycle where tractor dealers typically cut better deals.  Like car dealers, for example.  So far nobody seems to have an opinion about this one way or another.  So it's possible there is no particular time that's better than any other time.  In that case I might jump now because the 0% interest, no money down promotion ends in three weeks.  Though of course it could be quickly replaced by another promotional offer!

I've thought about the used route.  I am keeping an eye out for a used tractor that fits my specific requirements.  But time is running out for that option missing the financing opportunity.  Which I don't really need, but if someone wants to let me keep my cash invested and give me a brand new tractor... pretty tempting.

One advantage of going new (outside of the dealer, that is) has to do with the attachments I need to purchase.  It's unlikely I'll find just the right tractor with just the right attachments, therefore going to the dealer with a larger shopping list (all of which can be financed at 0%) should give me room to negotiate the price.  And since I'm likely to keep the tractor for 20+ years I don't really see a disadvantage to buying new.

Still, it would be nice to have just the right used one fall into my lap :D

Steve

jdonovan

Here (central Virginia) there really isn't a 'season' for tractors in the mid 30 HP range.

That size is a hobby farm machine, and there is demand year round. The demand is highest in early spring as everyone starts projects after the winter lul, but its not that much of an uptick they tell me. Also the dealers know their sales patterns and manage inventory to expected sales. Even a year old model doesn't seem to sell at much of a discount.

The 0% deal is what pushed me over the edge to buy. I got a bigger machine than I originally intended because my purchase power was increased because I wasn't spending some of the budget on finance charges.

I've almost never heard anyone complain they got too big of a machine. Look at the implements you are going to want/need and size accordingly. Also if what you're doing in ground engaging implements, blades, plows, loader etc... there is no substitute for weight. Every machine I've been on could spin its tires, which means there was more power available than traction.

mainiac

I live about 8 miles from Union Farm Equipment and trade there quite abit. Over the years, what JDonavan said is about right on for our area as well. Probably Jan or Feb you might be able to find some mark down on previous year models, but it is not huge. One thing to plan on, if you finance from Kubota or bank, you will have to have insurance on it until it is paid for.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

thecfarm

Not tying to start a brand war her,but I got rid of my Kubota last year. I would have to wait ATLEAST a week it not 2 weeks for parts.Tried 2 differant dealers,same BS. This is our mower. Can't be down during mowing season waiting for parts. I finally kept certain normal wear parts on hand. They all went with it when we traded it in for a NH. Ordered blades for the NH this  year,got them in 3 days. This tractor is used just about every day for something around here.
I myself would go with the bigger motor. Is the 39 hp a different tractor or the same tractor with a bigger motor. Make sure it is big enough for what you need. Some sale mans just read the books and say that will do what you want,but it really won't.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wesdor

I have a Deere of about the size you are describing.  Not trying to get you to think green, only telling you what I have.  A friend has a Kubota L 3400 and I could be happy with that as well.

My strongest advice is to be sure and get a good front end loader (FEL) with it. 

As far as time, Caveman has good advice - don't be rushed into anything unless it is really right for you.

Good luck

Peter Drouin

Did you look at john Deere ? any time of the year is a good time to buy an american tractor . this ones is 80 horse made in georgia. get all the horse power you can. just my 2 cents and good luck

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jasperfield

Here in WNC two tractor & implement dealers have told me that their equipment sales have already shown signs of slowing, and they won't resume strongly until fall.

Also, I would think that if you use their "zero financing" you would be paying at or close to full retail. Whereas if you bought outright you would probably save several hundred dollars or more. Negotiate the final price as a cash sale and then see what the financed price would be.

On the other hand: If you use their financing (and the payments extend two to three years) there's a likely possibility that you would be paying a fixed debt with dollars that continue to decline in value via devaluation, inflation, or both. In this case you may actually come close to true "zero financing".

Norm

chevytaHOE5674

Buy whatever brand has the strongest and best dealer network in your area. I happen to run just about any brand of equipment because there are good dealers for about every brand all within 100 or so miles of here. (closest is a new holland dealer 75 miles away).

SPIKER

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on June 12, 2011, 09:16:05 AM
Buy whatever brand has the strongest and best dealer network in your area. I happen to run just about any brand of equipment because there are good dealers for about every brand all within 100 or so miles of here. (closest is a new holland dealer 75 miles away).

I second that...   close & good dealer support is great to have.   I have a JINMA china tractor & buy most all mu parts on-line & wait 3 to 5 days at most for them to arrive standard shipping.   this said it works great & cost 1/3 price of a Kub, Deere or NH... 

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Logginsteve

Thanks for the follow up comments.  As for brand wars... I don't pay much attention to them.  Kinda like asking someone if a Ford or Chevy or Dodge pickup is best.  One of the most useless questions on the planet IMHO :D  Most guys I know, including a mid scale farmer and a significant landscaper, have Kubotas and they are quite happy with the support in the area.  Not many current JDs around, hardly any Masseys, very few Ford/New Holland, Ingersolls, etc. compared to Kubota.  Being in a remote rural area this tells me something. 

I did some math and found that financed over the same amount of time the 0% $0 deal comes out to be better than financing the equivalent used machine with standard financing (I used 6% but I've seen higher than 8%).  And with a new machine you're getting nobody else's undocumented or lurking headaches.  Paying cash comes at a cost as well because even invested in a conservative yield investment over 5 years return should be about 4% minimum.  Or use the cash to keep the 14% credit cards free of debt, etc.

Which is why I'm now definitely going with new.  And I have to do it before the end of the month as the incentives go away for the time being.  We'll see how well I do with getting what I want for what I want to spend :D

Steve

JDeere

Steve,  I have had 3 Kubotas and 3 John Deeres and they are both very good tractors. As you said, kinda like Ford & Chevy as to which is the best. My personal preference is the John Deere. I would certainly look at the John Deere line given that they have some very good financing terms at present and also have some significant incentives (cash back) if you buy some implements. Additionally, don't hesitate to tell the Kubota dealer you are looking at a Deere and vice versa. You might be surprised what that can save you in dollars. I bought a piece of Cat equipment once and had the John Dealer drop his price by $10,000.00 at the 11th hour. Good Luck!
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Peter Drouin

Logginsteve  /Ford Chevy Dodge are usa trucks toyota  nissan are chinese, john deere masseys newholland are usa tractors  kubota is chinese , that was the pont, just trying to get you to buy american, not a useless question don;t forget you get what you pay for . :D  and when you trade in chinese it;s not worth anything :D :D  Im not trying to start anything just my 2 cents 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

bill m

Around here Kubota equipment hold their value very well. A lot better than Dodge or Massey.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

nas

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 12, 2011, 08:38:31 PM
Logginsteve  /Ford Chevy Dodge are usa trucks toyota  nissan are chinese, john deere masseys newholland are usa tractors  kubota is chinese , that was the pont, just trying to get you to buy american, not a useless question don;t forget you get what you pay for . :D  and when you trade in chinese it;s not worth anything :D :D  Im not trying to start anything just my 2 cents 8) 8) 8)
With all due respect Peter, as far as I know, the John Deere and Massey compacts are made in India, the New Hollands are made in Korea, and the Kubota's are made in Japan.  Around here the Kubota's hold there value at least as good or better than the Deere's.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Peter Drouin

nas.I try to buy made in the USA. ford chev john deere masseys are usa names brands. IF I buy one and it;s made outside of the usa then it;s there lie not mine I at least tried to buy  american, all I can do. the country is in bad shape, I don;t know ,but buying japanese will not help. you know someone  could give me 10 brandnew japanese or chinese trucks or tractors and I would crush them in front of your eyes and sell them for scrap. maybe all you men that read this might understand how I feel, and steve whatever you do the best way is to pay cash
A&P saw Mill LLC.

SPIKER

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 12, 2011, 10:02:43 PM
nas.I try to buy made in the USA. ford chev john deere masseys are usa names brands. IF I buy one and it;s made outside of the usa then it;s there lie not mine I at least tried to buy  american, all I can do. the country is in bad shape, I don;t know ,but buying japanese will not help. you know someone  could give me 10 brandnew japanese or chinese trucks or tractors and I would crush them in front of your eyes and sell them for scrap. maybe all you men that read this might understand how I feel, and steve whatever you do the best way is to pay cash

that is idiotic and un deserved to many fine working people who own china or japan or Korean equipment/vehicles.   I bought my tractor on direct shipment from china, works great & what I could afford.   was well under  the cost of beat up used brand name machine of  equal value/size/performance... 

lift the hood of a JD machine in the size or look closely on the 35hp/under range then probably 85~90% of it is made in china, japan korea & india.   

mark

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

beenthere

Quote from: nas on June 12, 2011, 09:14:31 PM
...........With all due respect Peter, as far as I know, the John Deere and Massey compacts are made in India, the New Hollands are made in Korea, and the Kubota's are made in Japan.  Around here the Kubota's hold there value at least as good or better than the Deere's.

A few Deere models are, but certainly not all the Deere compacts.  But the across-the-board statement doesn't hold water. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!