iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

$1000 walnut tree in the yard

Started by busenitzcww, February 25, 2020, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busenitzcww

Had two people call me today about walnut trees in their yard and wanted to know if I was interested in buying them.... how do you guys explain it??? 
One guy said that "the tree had seen plenty of wind so the wood should be dense"???  Fun stuff! 
I cut my share of low grade walnut but I don't feel like taking out a bank loan for them;-)

dgdrls

You're never 95% sure until its on the ground,
Can't hurt to look with an explanation about yard trees while
you're there,

D

SawyerTed

I've learned my lesson.  I had a guy contact me about walnut trees.  He asked if I would cut on shares.  I said I would for the right logs.  He then told me I needed to send cash for my share of the tree service cost to take then down.   :D  :D  Like that was going to happen!  :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Don P

Yard trees, yup a thou ought to do it, half up front ;D

Southside

I refer them to this very educational documentary video.   ;D
Walnut
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

I tell them the max that I will pay for walnut.  Sometimes my price has been 1/10 of what they were asking.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

busenitzcww

WV Sawmiller

As a portable sawyer I like to agree with them that their walnut is highly valuable. I like to tell them I do not want to take advantage of them so I suggest they stage their logs and have me come saw them for a very modest service fee then they can store and market their highly valuable walnut and get every penny it is worth.

I like Ted's response. I think in his shoes I'd have told them banks loan money and he should talk to them, not me about funding his project.

I have sawed walnut, and last summer some cherry, on shares and may in the future if/when the circumstances are right. I did, or eventually will, make a profit from my time and efforts but it takes a long time. One thing I learned last summer is if I agree to saw on shares, the owner will have to bring me the logs instead of me going to them. If I travel I have to make too many trips - take my mill over then go back and haul the lumber home, etc. I don't regret my earlier decisions but I did learn from them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

charles mann

there was a person on market place selling a bwn and was asking $5000 for it. i asked her why so expensive, and it went very much like the vid. she wanted someone to pay her to remove it for her. usually, in the normal world, people are paid for their labor, not the other way around. POLITICAL COMMENTARY NOT ALLOWED OUTSIDE OF THE RESTRICTED BOARD
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

YellowHammer

I just tell them them that I'm a sawmill and I only buy logs that are delivered by loggers or anyone else.  If they bring them to me, I will scale, grade, and pay them market prices accordingly.  I pay for logs, not trees. Logs roll, trees don't.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

moodnacreek

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 26, 2020, 07:11:54 AM
I just tell them them that I'm a sawmill and I only buy logs that are delivered by loggers or anyone else.  If they bring them to me, I will scale, grade, and pay them market prices accordingly.  I pay for logs, not trees. Logs roll, trees don't.  

This has been my attitude since the log truck became the yard truck. People who can deliver are more understanding of the sawmills needs and may be trainable . Pay a fair price in cash and they remember you.

sealark37

If you make ideal on this tree, make sure that you are dealing with the owner of the tree, and not his tenant.  Don't ask why I mention this.  Regards, Clark

OffGrid973

Tell them to call you when it's in 12' lengths on the ground so you can see any checks or metal staining , and if it's clean you will provide removal service which would save them a few hundred from the tree company dropping it.

Usually works well, and of course provide a Slab or two when complete, usually keeps em happy.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

stavebuyer

Quote from: sealark37 on February 26, 2020, 10:16:43 AM
If you make ideal on this tree, make sure that you are dealing with the owner of the tree, and not his tenant.  Don't ask why I mention this.  Regards, Clark
Very important point and not just yard trees. If trees are standing you are well advised to do a title search and have a written contract. Trees are generally considered part of the real estate when standing.  Much less liability on logs.

Thank You Sponsors!