iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Upgrade pillow blocks?

Started by Angleblade11, March 18, 2015, 02:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angleblade11

Ok so I finally made it down to the mill after work and managed to get the shaft out. In the process my inner pillow block cast busted bc the bearing I guess was stuck fast. This pillow block is not the one that the bearing went in. So now I have 1 good pillow block without a bearing and a bearing without a pillow block. And it looks like the shaft is scared up from the bearings. So guys what are my options now. Do I just go with the WM upgrade that comes with pillow block, bearings, and a new shaft for $408 or get 1 pillow block and 2 bearings. Or just go get 2 pillow block units with the bearings from a local bearing place. A local mill told me he gets all his bearings at thebigbearing store.com online? He said they are good quality and cheaper priced?

bandmiller2

Angle, I would dress up the shaft and get two new pillow block assemblies so there will be a close match. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Angleblade11

That shaft has some pretty good groves in it. Can it still be cleaned up and not ruin a bearing quick.

fishfighter

You could have the shaft machine at a shop to cut/dress it up. Now that depends how bad it is. Or, talk to the shop and see how much it would cost to build a new shaft.

If you go the first way, just match the new bearing to it. Oh, are the bearing are split bearing? If not, then you are looking at a new shaft.

Peter Drouin

I know it's a lot of money, But if you had got the WM up grade you would be sawing now. For me spending money will save you money and have a set up that you will not have to look at again. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

X2 on not seeing huge markups from WM.  They don't mark up the replaceables on my Kubota sawmill engine, they're better priced than from the Kubota dealer.  Sometimes their prices approach list price and you can save a bit by searching around, but then you have to make absolutely sure its the right part and to be honest for me such time is often not very well spent.  There can be some exceptions maybe like the hydraulic microswitch but the equation breaks down if the part isn't on hand when needed and days of sawing will be lost waiting for it to come.

X2 on getting back up to keep sawing and making money.  If my truck's in the driveway with a bad bearing or leaky brake line yes the Ford dealer seems a lot more expensive than fixing it myself but not after considering that I can have it fixed that afternoon and be sawing the next day instead of rescheduling customers and spending a couple days or worse borrowing the wife's car, driving around and lying under the truck.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I am still in the $408 corner.  WM recognized a weakness and has done the R&D to upgrade and offer a retrofit.  It was done for a reason. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Look at it this way. The old style is 2 ball bearing pillow blocks with iffy lubrication after the internal grease gets hard. The upgrade is 2 heavy duty roller bearings inside an enclosure, running in an oil bath. Keep the lube level up and they should run forever.Those roller bearings can be changed out, but wm recommends replaceing the entire assembly. I have replaced them twice when the owner let them run dry.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

I worry that you will fix this to as original condition, and then how long before you have to do it again? It sounds like you need a new shaft. Unless you have a buddy that can cut one for you, it sounds like two new bearings, plus having a shaft made will probably eat up most of that $408. I know it's easy for us to spend your money, so it's all just food for thought. Sometimes you have to do the absolute cheapest fix. I've done that a few times.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Dave, can I spend some of your money? :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

You'd have to loan me some first. Then I'd have some to spend.  :D Just go look under the ice near your sawmill. Maybe a new crop has sprung up over night. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Yup, got that right.  :D :D :D

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 24, 2015, 01:35:00 PM
Yup, got that right.  :D :D :D

Yeah, But I think yours has been there longer with more 00  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

redprospector

From the sounds of it the set screws had backed off on the bearing where the shaft was scored. I've never been able to reuse a scored shaft and have it last any time at all on my mill. If the shaft is scored very bad, then the bearing is probably wallowed out enough that you can't reuse it either.
I'm sure that you could fix it for less than $408...but are you going to be any better off in the long run? I built my mill, and the pillow blocks are one of the week points that I have to fight all the time.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Angleblade11

Alright I think I'm going the WM upgrade. By the time I search for all this stuff and have time to go pick it up and the cost of everything I will probably be in the ball park range. WM will ship it right to my door. I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

redprospector

I think you have made a wise decision.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Magicman

I think that you will be $408 ahead instead of behind.   smiley_thumbsup

Angleblade11

Well I got the mill back up and running. Everything went pretty smooth. The mill is running all good.

Angleblade11

Thank you guys for all the help.

fishfighter

Thank You Sponsors!