iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Verso news....

Started by Woodhauler, January 20, 2016, 07:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

i was off by one day on my prediction. verso has filed along with new page and everything else with the verso name on it. if you go to the Delaware bankruptcy court web site its all there

grassfed

Well I can't read the filings but the thing to watch for is whether they can get something like Debtor in Possession financing. If they can they could be back buying wood very soon. I agree that it would be nice to see a paper company buy and run verso but I don't think that will happen and I just want to find a market for as much wood as I can. I sell to sappi but they will be full sooner now. 
Mike

snowstorm

look under recently filed chapter 11 on delaware bankruptcy court site. there is close to 30 filed today under verso newpage

grassfed

I saw the filings thanks, but I could not read them.
Mike

snowstorm

snowstorm

3 of there mills are for sale. jay Duluth and stevens point

grassfed

Here is a link to the company's statement.  http://investor.versoco.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=951676

Basically it is about as good as one could hope for based on the fact that they said they were looking at filing last November. I would not count out sending them wood but I would not want to get to far ahead of the checks.
Mike

Woodhauler

Sappi will keep its long time suppliers going, the ones that came from verso may have trouble. Also there may be something too with verso paying the jay suppliers and not anyone else?? Jay mill may be around and others not??
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

grassfed

Suppliers should read this https://www.versoco.com/wps/wcm/connect/6a552b43-db26-48ca-b955-6fd2b9ca5f73/Restructuring+-+SUPPLIERS+Frequently+Asked+Questions+FINAL.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Bankruptcy draws a line between bills incurred before the filling date (jan 26) and the bills incurred after that date. If verso owes you money before the date you must file a claim to get paid and you might not get everything. If you sell them wood going forward they have to pay you because things are now controlled by the court.

Woodhauler you are safer selling them wood now when they are in Chapter 11 than you were before they filed.
Mike

Woodhauler

Quote from: grassfed on January 26, 2016, 10:53:32 AM
Suppliers should read this https://www.versoco.com/wps/wcm/connect/6a552b43-db26-48ca-b955-6fd2b9ca5f73/Restructuring+-+SUPPLIERS+Frequently+Asked+Questions+FINAL.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Bankruptcy draws a line between bills incurred before the filling date (jan 26) and the bills incurred after that date. If verso owes you money before the date you must file a claim to get paid and you might not get everything. If you sell them wood going forward they have to pay you because things are now controlled by the court.

Woodhauler you are safer selling them wood now when they are in Chapter 11 than you were before they filed.
Ask that to the contracters that had to pay newpage back!!!! Someone in the company told me to wait for a week or two! I'm following his advice.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

grassfed

I think that waiting a week is fine since they just filled today and it probably won't be approved for a few days. But you were at much higher risk of getting stiffed before they filled than you are after they start running under chapter 11.

If anybody paid money back to new page for goods and services that they delivered after a chapter 11 filing I did not hear about it. If they had paid me and the money was in my bank they would have to sue to get it back.

I lost a couple of weeks pay back in 1979 when a subcontractor I worked for went under. A week later the main contractor came in and rehired everyone that agreed to drop a claim against him...it might not have been legal but we needed to pay rent...maybe that is what the Newpage suppliers did.
Mike

Woodhauler

Quote from: grassfed on January 26, 2016, 11:48:05 AM
I think that waiting a week is fine since they just filled today and it probably won't be approved for a few days. But you were at much higher risk of getting stiffed before they filled than you are after they start running under chapter 11.

If anybody paid money back to new page for goods and services that they delivered after a chapter 11 filing I did not hear about it. If they had paid me and the money was in my bank they would have to sue to get it back.

I lost a couple of weeks pay back in 1979 when a subcontractor I worked for went under. A week later the main contractor came in and rehired everyone that agreed to drop a claim against him...it might not have been legal but we needed to pay rent...maybe that is what the Newpage suppliers did.
I got the letter from newpage demanding me to repay them. Snowstorms wifes employer fought them in court,and won. Three contracters in know of had to pay back money.

jocco

Grassfed there is some law (you see it once in awhile) where they go back 3-6 months and make people pay back if a company goes bankrupt. It has something to do with hiding assets, I doubt it is highly successful with small amounts. Also my wife got burned similar to you she worked in a restaurant, it went under, and she did not get paid for the last week or two, many years ago >:(

You may check out but you will never leave

Ianab

It's possible they can recall payments made BEFORE they filed. If some parties had been paid "preferentially", and others had been stiffed completely it's legally possible to demand the money back.   But this is usually intended to prevent directors "siphoning" money out, to a separate company, and leaving nothing for other creditors. It takes a court order to enforce, so it can be disputed in court, and often isn't successful.

Once a court appointed manager or receiver is in place the financials are effectively "reset". You get order forms from the receiver, have a new account set up, and will be paid from a new bank account. Once things reach that point you can be pretty sure you will be paid for NEW invoices. The overdue ones are "frozen" and you wait in line to be paid those.

This is to give a company a chance to trade out of trouble, be sold as a going concern, or refinance. If people got stiffed by the receiver for later invoices, there is no way the system could work. No one would supply them with anything. No power / phones / fuel / supplies etc.  So the receiver sets up new utility and bank accounts etc to trade, and suppliers go along with this as the new debts are secure, and it's usually the best chance of recovering the outstanding debts.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

grassfed

Yes this is what I have been trying to say. The big danger of getting stiffed is before they file. If this chapter 11 is all set and in place it is a good thing and based on what the company is saying they are going to keep operations going. I am happy that this is happening but I know that in the long run they may still fail. I just think that it is nice to hear that there is not going to be a huge drop in demand for pulpwood this winter.
Ianab gave a great explanation of what is going on and how bankruptcy works
Mike

snowstorm

if verso owed you money before 3 am today [ the time they filed] you may or most likely will not get it all. anything after that your all set. there financing is in place. maybe they will have to behave now. 

snowstorm

yes some paid some back. i heard about it every night sometimes all night. every news paper and tv news was calling my wife for an interview. when you are trying to collect well over 6 figures from a co that filed 11 you make the news. verso is well over 6 figures

chevytaHOE5674

We are back to shipping wood at the same price as before. Hopefully be 200 cord or so of ours hauled in by the weekend.

dgdrls

http://www.dailybulldog.com/db/features/verso-sells-local-hydroelectric-facilities/

A piece of the puzzle I was unaware of.  I hope the paper plants
do better than the ones numerous companies tried to save here in NY
after the Hydro assets were sold off.

I wish all the folks at these plants and the folks who are involved
with pulp, logging and hauling the best,

Dan

craigc

Quote from: lopet on January 25, 2016, 09:57:15 PM
This may not belong here, but did anybody look at the " baltic dry index " lately ?

No or very few cargo ships on the North Atlantic.
This has been building up for awhile.  Things could get very rocky.  The worlds economy is slowing down.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

snowstorm

Quote from: Corley5 on January 25, 2016, 09:22:37 AM
I just heard that a large local producer is out $100,000.00 for now.  Another guy is wondering whether he'll get paid for the train load he took in last week.
have you heard any more about this? from what i am hearing this guy will not get all of the 100k owed him

Woodhauler

I think there is something to not paying guys in some mills? Maybe they are on the chopping block? This could be a chance to close a couple more mills?

snowstorm

i heard this a while back that when its all said and done verso wants only 3 mills. luke and 2 in the lake states

Corley5

Quote from: snowstorm on January 27, 2016, 08:01:02 AM
Quote from: Corley5 on January 25, 2016, 09:22:37 AM
I just heard that a large local producer is out $100,000.00 for now.  Another guy is wondering whether he'll get paid for the train load he took in last week.
have you heard any more about this? from what i am hearing this guy will not get all of the 100k owed him

I haven't heard anymore but I'll make a couple calls later today and see what the word is.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on January 27, 2016, 08:06:44 AM
i heard this a while back that when its all said and done verso wants only 3 mills. luke and 2 in the lake states
Sappi is meeting with verso today. Fire sale time!

Thank You Sponsors!