iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lowering pitch of canted queen post barn roof

Started by Shandog, January 12, 2020, 02:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shandog

I was wondering if anybody has every lowered the roofline on a canted queen post barn ? I am new to this site and hope I am asking this question in the right place 
Thanksc

Don P

Hi Shandog, I'm mostly bumping your post hoping someone with more experience will chime in. I imagine the same rule that applies to braced rafter framing and good truss design would come into play. That is, don't lay the posts over at shallower than a 45 degree angle.

As the pitch gets shallower the tension on the tie increases, which means the heeljoint needs to do more work as the pitch drops.

Do you have a sketch of what you are thinking of that you can post?

Shandog

Don 
 Right now the rafters are a 9/12 pitch call it 37 degrees and the canted queen post is at 53degrees making a right angle in the center of the rafter span with the brace being at 53 degrees also I want to lower the pitch to a 7/12  which is 30 degrees that would make the post more upright at 60 degrees and I would also make that brace at 60 degrees the purlin wouldn't be in the exact center of the rafter but the span is only 10' and about 12' above the purlin so spans with 2 x 10 should be fine   I am not sure how to upload photos at this time but will work on it 
Thanks 

Jim_Rogers

SHARING PHOTOS
Photos used on the Forestry Forum must be uploaded to the Forestry Forum servers. Linking to photos or photo galleries outside of The Forestry Forum servers is prohibited and they will be removed. This policy can be considered written in stone. The reason for our strict policy on photo's is to protect Forestry Forum posted content for perpetuity.
By uploading photos to The Forestry Forum you declare that any photograph submitted by you is your own original creation and work, and does not infringe the rights (including copyright) of any other person.  By uploading photos to the Forestry Forum, you grant to the Forestry Forum a non-exclusive license in all media throughout the world, to use and authorize the use of any photograph or image submitted. The Forestry Forum will not make any commercial use of the photographs outside of the Forestry Forum servers without further negotiation with you. You warrant that there are no restrictions that prevent you from uploading photograph(s) and agreeing to these terms, and that the consent of no other person is required to enable The Forestry Forum to exercise the license above. You release and indemnify The Forestry Forum, its assignees, and licensees from and against any claims arising from any breach of this warranty and the exercise of the rights granted herein.

Commercial use of Forestry Forum photos is strictly PROHIBITED. Any commercial use without written consent of the Forestry Forum found to occur will be met by a use and penalty charge to the parties involved.
Deleting any photo from the Forestry Forum servers without permission of the Forestry Forum will be seen as destruction of Forestry Forum property and assets and will be dealt with as such.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Don P

That was the lawyer part, I guess Jim is saying to post your sketch not someone else's copywritten plans. This is a link to the tutorial on how to upload pics;
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=100194.0

I guess basically with my understanding I'm looking at it not as a truss but as a tie beam, supporting posts, that are in turn supporting the rafters. But a sketch would sure help.

Don P

Don P

Well, I got the pic posted but couldn't write anything there :D
You can click the modify button on your posts to try to fix things when they go wrong.

From a gut level the geometry looks ok to me. The right canted post and both struts are landing out in the span of the bottom chord putting concentrated loads from the roof on it plus whatever floor load is there, plus the dead load of the associated parts. Checking that is outside of my simple skill set.

Thank You Sponsors!