The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Too wide for me  (Read 1460 times)

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
Re: Too wide for me
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2021, 09:02:20 PM »
Well thatís a puzzle for sure. Makes it pretty hard to help I reckon. 
HM126

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 10:40:40 PM »
She is a handful.  She didn't want to email, just text.  I prefer email.  I texted her that I would come look at it after I get the sawmill fixed.  I am still having rpm fluctuations.  Gonna change the line with the sqeeze bulb on it and leave the squeeze bulb off.
                          hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 11:45:15 PM »
I'm certainly no expert, but I have had a few interactions that go like this one seems to be going. First, I don't believe that log is anywhere near 48" diameter unless the rake in the photo has a 5' handle on it. Second, that doesn't look like RO to me, it could be, but sure doesn't look it. I am looking a the ripples that run down the length and thinking it's something else. I would have dropped this 'potential client' about 4 text messages back. She has no idea what she wants, but when it comes to the cost, I bet she has a pretty good idea of how little she expects to pay. But that's just my opinion. Have you thrown her any numbers yet? If not, give her a high/low range and see what she says, assuming you might carry this further for the entertainment value. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline fluidpowerpro

• Hi there!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2021, 12:10:08 AM »
Reminds me of the lyrics to an old polka. I think it went: "I dont want her, you can have her, she's too wide for me, she's too wide for me".
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full falls off the top shelf and hits the top of your head!

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2021, 12:26:21 AM »
I'm certainly no expert, but I have had a few interactions that go like this one seems to be going. First, I don't believe that log is anywhere near 48" diameter unless the rake in the photo has a 5' handle on it. Second, that doesn't look like RO to me, it could be, but sure doesn't look it. I am looking a the ripples that run down the length and thinking it's something else. I would have dropped this 'potential client' about 4 text messages back. She has no idea what she wants, but when it comes to the cost, I bet she has a pretty good idea of how little she expects to pay. But that's just my opinion. Have you thrown her any numbers yet? If not, give her a high/low range and see what she says, assuming you might carry this further for the entertainment value. ;D
I don't need the log.  I had told her on the first call she needed to bring it to me to saw it.  Only thing I have promised or told her is I will come look at it when I finally fix my fuel problem.  If she is as difficult in person as on the phone..................It's a firm NO from me.  I don't know what the size really is.  She told me on the phone and I gather some redneck told her the size after he cut it down.  He probably didn't even have a tape measure.
                   hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2021, 01:17:52 AM »
It looks like a good one to just forget about.
Too many irons in the fire

Online VB-Milling

• Always learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2021, 07:14:21 AM »
It looks like a good one to just forget about.

^this

People like this exist in all types of industries that provide services from lawn care to internet provider.  From the sound of things already, no matter what level of hand holding or quality service you provide, she'll never be happy.  Whatever is suggested, the end product will be wrong.

Seeing that she has no idea what she's going to do with the wood, she's no woodworker and doesn't have a close relationship with any.  My guess is, someone casually suggested the lumber market, top dollar, you could probably sell that, yada yada yada.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2021, 07:53:14 AM »
Second, that doesn't look like RO to me, it could be, but sure doesn't look it. I am looking a the ripples that run down the length and thinking it's something else.
The log is Water Oak which is in the Red Oak family.  The heartwood will be grayer than our Cherrybark Oak.

Since it is a 'yard' tree I would not saw the bottom ~3' nor any of the forkey top.  It looks like about 12' of good log and would make plenty of very nice lumber.

Sawing a very similar log:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2021, 08:06:26 AM »
It certainly is.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 08:51:30 AM »

hugs,  Brandi
Well you are going a big step further than I would by driving out there. I wish you the best of luck, I really do. But I get the feeling we are watching a slow motion train wreck and we pretty much know how it will turn out. I do hope I'm wrong.
 Keep us in the loop. popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2021, 09:19:39 AM »
Well if she doesn't have a place to air dry it, and the ability to move it later, it's kind of a moot point.  If she does, great.  If not, firewood.  And you really need to have a purpose before cutting.  Either slabs or quartersawn from the butt log if it's good enough.  The good quality is that the log is big dia., which is why I'd say slabs or quartersawn.  I would rather cut smaller logs for flatsawn boards if that's the goal.  If someone knew the market there, they could tell us if it's worth having it sawn into slabs or slabs and qsawn and if they could sell it Green and be ahead?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline Pepe_Silvia

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2021, 09:41:29 AM »
Second, that doesn't look like RO to me, it could be, but sure doesn't look it. I am looking a the ripples that run down the length and thinking it's something else.
The log is Water Oak which is in the Red Oak family.  The heartwood will be grayer than our Cherrybark Oak.

Since it is a 'yard' tree I would not saw the bottom ~3' nor any of the forkey top.  It looks like about 12' of good log and would make plenty of very nice lumber.

Sawing a very similar log:  LINK
What do you see that makes you think Water Oak?  Hoping to learn something...  I had it pegged as a Shumard Red Oak, primarily because of how prolific they are around here compared to Water Oak.  
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2021, 09:50:57 AM »
Shumard oak bark is generally more deeply fissured and has wider more prominent silver streaks.  Water oak bark is usually tighter and not deeply fissured, and if it has silver streaks, they are thinner and not as prominent.  So, if you had to bet, the bark is more typical of water oak which is very common and prolific in that part of the world.  It is not out of the question that it is shumard, but the best money is on water oak.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2021, 02:09:34 PM »

hugs,  Brandi
Well you are going a big step further than I would by driving out there. I wish you the best of luck, I really do. But I get the feeling we are watching a slow motion train wreck and we pretty much know how it will turn out. I do hope I'm wrong.
 Keep us in the loop. popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley
It's only about a 15 mile drive. I'll pick a nice day.
hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
  • Living in Absurdistan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: Today at 08:04:15 AM »
If it was anywhere near me, i wouldn't mind!  :D

I think what i like is cherrybark oak. The guy told me it was red oak. But the branch bark looked like carpinius. I love the banana smell when splitting. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
LT15 Wide, LT70 Wide, where's the Wide Edger?

Started by Dave Shepard on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post March 25, 2018, 11:53:41 PM
by Darrel
question
what mill to buy? lt15 wide or lt40 wide

Started by markymark on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post January 28, 2019, 07:58:32 AM
by stanmillnc
xx
Wide plank flooring...how wide can I go?

Started by lshobie on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post January 13, 2016, 08:34:59 PM
by Rob in NC
xx
15-Wide

Started by jemmy on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post July 14, 2021, 06:15:11 AM
by jemmy