iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cyclone Dust Collector Problems

Started by Lohok27, July 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lohok27

Hi Y'all, We just set up a cyclonic dust collector we bought at auction. Problem is, in the dust just gets sucked up through the blower and fills the breather bag and almost nothing falls into the hopper. Any ideas what we're doing wrong?
It's running a 15hp Leason on a 31" x 70" tall cyclone.
Thank you for your help.
Matthew
Rule #1 Don't panic.
Rule #2 In case of panic, refer to rule #1.

redbeard

It could be the type of system where the blower creates the vacum and none of the dust and chips are not supposed to go through the blower. A chip extracter are the the common blowers on bag syestems. Yours sounds like a vacum only design if it has a vessel for the media. You should be able to search your brand name and see set up designs.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

beenthere

Lohok
Can you post a pic of your setup? Might help us help you sort out the problem.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

That sounds like a awfully big blower for that size cyclone. 

What bt said about a pic or at least a description of how its plumbed.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Lohok27

Here ya go...
Inside we're running a double head Morgan resaw, a Euro Machine, and a 36" Tannewitz.

Rule #1 Don't panic.

Larry

Since it was in operation I don't see anyway that it could have been plumbed wrong.  Just a guess and I don't know what would happen...could the motor be running the wrong way?  With 3-phase its easy to reverse a motor by switching any two wires.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

GAmillworker

Need pic of other side.  where pipes go in and out
Thank the Lord for second chances

Lohok27

Yea, we already looked at that. The only other thing I can seem to dig up is particle size, but the guy we got it from was running band saws as well.
Rule #1 Don't panic.

GAmillworker

If you only have saw dust going in it will not get separated with that small of cyclone.  the cyclone only lets larger chips from say a planer or moulder fall into the hopper.  Plus I don't see a rotatory air lock on the bottom of the cyclone just a dust bin.

beenthere

Is the pipe at the lower end of the cyclone coming from the building and going into the cyclone?
Dust/debris should come into the top, I'm thinking. Then the cyclone causes it to swirl around while the heavy stuff falls out into the container below.
You may be discovering why it was in an auction.

Here is a video of how I thought they all worked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ_I8Sx8T38&NR=1

Here is one that may be like the one you have, with inlet coming in lower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZoweO_UX6s
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lohok27

Here is the back.
The "outhouse" just keeps the wheather off the breather bag. It's got the recirc. going out of it and back into the cyclone. That's about the extent of my knowledge on these, I've never set one up before.

Rule #1 Don't panic.

Lohok27

Quote from: GAmillworker on July 25, 2011, 05:20:59 PM
If you only have saw dust going in it will not get separated with that small of cyclone.  the cyclone only lets larger chips from say a planer or moulder fall into the hopper.  Plus I don't see a rotatory air lock on the bottom of the cyclone just a dust bin.

I've never heard of a rotary airlock. Also, do you think a smaller motor would do the trick for the particle size or am I stuck getting a whole new setup?

Thank you and everyone for your help and advice. It's greatly appreciated.
Rule #1 Don't panic.

GAmillworker

Thanks for the other pic.

From all the cyclones I've seen hooked up the very top section where the fan blade is should feed into a cloth air filter which should have another lower collection bag to collect fine dust.

The picture is not clear if this is the case.  

The cyclone should have an opening just below the blower section for the incoming dust. 

Can you send a pic of the inside of the "outhouse"  that seems to be where there may be an issue.

trim4u2nv

I just finished setting up a 20hp (tuning up in the last 2 months.)   The most common problem is improper airflow.  If the inlet trunk pipe is too big (should be 12 inches max on this setup) or too many gates are open or too many leaks at the joints.  Check the amps drawn on the motor if above nominal indicates excessive leaks or airflow or loose or punctured bags.  Another common problem is leaks in the hopper or connection to the hopper.  If the hopper has a slidegate at the bottom make sure it is completely shut.   Take a clear plastic bag and tape it over the bottom of the hopper if it starts getting drawn tight to the hopper when running you have a significant leak.   With a flat hopper you can check 1 side at a time.   A leak here causes the vortex to pull too high off the bottom of the cyclone and deposit stuff in your dustbags.  Sometimes a clog if released instantly will overload the cyclone and fill the bags also.   Also some cyclones have a helix from the side inlet down the straight cylinder ending flush with the snorkel that extends from the inlet of the top mounted blower.   You can see the shadow of the helix in the clearview video.  We had a hard piece of azek plastic get wedged and cause problems.

GAmillworker

Sorry wasnt looking at it correctly

trim4u2nv

I noticed your recirculating pipe is plumbed close to the cyclone inlet.  I dont think i have seen this before.  Should avoid branches within first 10-14 foot of the cyclone inlet.   Try plugging this pipe as close to the trunk pipe as possible and see if it helps performance. 

Lohok27

Thanks guys, I'll try some of your ideas and let you know how it works.

Matthew
Rule #1 Don't panic.

Thank You Sponsors!