iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yet another unknown tree :)

Started by radio_man, July 04, 2017, 07:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radio_man

Well good morning and Happy July 4th.

I have a tree in my front yard that has perplexed me for a few years.  I live in St. Charles IL.  It isn't unique to this area, but surprisingly, a lady at the local U. of Illinois extension service was unable to provide an ID.  Since then I have tried several times with on-line searches and I've come up empty handed.  Any assistance would be very much appreciated, so I'll try to upload some photos now.

My reason for determining what tree it is, is so I can do a better job of caring for it.  All I know is it appears to be a columnar evergreen but does not produce cones.   

Thanks in advance for any assistance you all can provide & best regards

WDH

Are the needles really stout, rigid, and sharp such that if you handle them, they will stick you?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

radio_man

Yes, they sure are.  Pointy short and stiff.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Quote from: WDH on July 04, 2017, 03:49:41 PM
Could be (and very probably) monkeypuzzle. 

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=825

Nope. pretty sure it's not an Araucaria species. The needles actually look like needles, on a Monkey Puzzle they they are much flatter, almost like leaves (but spiny)

The way the branches droop make me think Himalayan Spruce (Picea smithiana), but not 100% on that.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DelawhereJoe

Gonna go with some type of spruce tree, my parents have a blue spruce in there yard that looks similar to it, the oaks have caused it to grow very slowly.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

samandothers

radio_man

Thanks everyone for your assistance.  I'll look for information on caring for spruce trees.

BradMarks

Clark

If that isn't a spruce I'll gouge out my eyes.

It should produce cones, most likely only at the top of the tree. If they are ~4" long it's most likely blue spruce. If they are more like 2" long then white spruce.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ianab

Being an ornamental tree it may not even be a native species, hence my Himalayan Spruce guess.

The way the foliage and lower branches all weep downward is a characteristic if that species. Lack of cones may be because it's growing outside it's "comfort zone"? It's obviously grown OK, but seasons may not be suitable to encourage the seeding.

Of course according to Wikipedia there are 35 different species of Spruce, so take your pick.  :P
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Clark

Quote from: Ianab on July 07, 2017, 12:23:08 AM
Being an ornamental tree it may not even be a native species, hence my Himalayan Spruce guess.

You make a good point, Ianab. Any species growing outside of it's native range tends to look odd and may not produce seed. Given the location, Illinois, it's most certainly not native to the area as there are no spruce that grow down there. Blue and white would be the most common from a nursery but anything is possible.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!