Sponsors:

Help with new foodplots

Started by Jeff, July 23, 2022, 08:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Puttin it on a little thick eh?

:D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nebraska

That wind today could've sent your lime to Doc H....

Walnut Beast

It's funny you say that! It was blowing those piles away. Nasty wind and 62 down to 22 degrees is insane 😂

Walnut Beast

When stuff gets managed and people don't shoot smaller bucks and bow hunt.  That can be the results. A guy I know arrowed this big boy! 28" spread 211" 

SwampDonkey

He smelled the coffee, no fair. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

My Buckwheat germinated 5 days ago. My clover patch this year.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Walnut Beast

Looking good! And all the other improvements your doing. Nice job!

newoodguy78

Is that new seeded buckwheat or residual from last year? The white clover looks great 

Jeff

New buckwheat for no till in august. Ill knock it down over something. Not sure what im going to plant yet. Seed is horrible this year.

That is the clover I sprayed with Miracle-Gro this spring. 

newoodguy78

If you're going to plant something in August a wheat crimson clover mix with some daikon radishes would probably go well. There's not much more beautiful than crimson clover when it comes into bloom in my opinion. 

Jeff

Doesn't the clover loose it's food value once you get a freeze?

newoodguy78

This picture doesn't really do it justice but this is a wheat crimson mix. During daylight it looked like the field was on fire. Had multiple neighbors call me wanting to know "what the heck did you plant in that field?,it's gorgeous !!"
The pollinators loved it as well 

newoodguy78

The feed value after a freeze I'm not sure on, @Southside would probably know better. It's most likely not as nutrient dense but still there to a certain degree. Will say during the winter I saw deer feeding through it regularly. Whether they were eating the small clover or the wheat I can't be sure.
If feed value is your primary goal crimson is not necessarily your best choice. 

Southside

Crimson here survives fine after a freeze and keeps growing, but that's fall or frost seeded so the days are getting longer, not shorter as they are with your crop. 

For the money I don't think you could beat a red and white clover mix. Use several different varieties of each to lengthen the growing curve. All perineal so it will keep coming back.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

This is exciting, to see my habitat work returning results. Never, ever have we had deer in these numbers all year. This is pure habitat and plantings result. No feed. We put out about 50lbs of corn alĺ last year for other critters.

I have four clover fields planted. Awesome to wake up to this. I've been sick for almost 3 weeks, and this was a needed treat.

SwampDonkey

They are sure enjoying it. Tails a waging and all.  :thumbsup:

I know where I have thinned out firewood, aspen and maple suckers have had a good chewing on by the moose and rabbits. I get maybe 3 or 4 deer. I just saw 2 or them this week by the house, but far off in a field and tracks of two at the woodlot a week ago. Never was many deer here in my area. Other areas here had a  lot more in years past, but not any more. Loss of winter habitat. There's lots of clover and hay fields around where folks have cows. Clover is under sewed on wheat fields. Cut the grain, the clover is off to the races.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Ron Scott

Provide the habitat and they will come. 
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!