iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

power feed

Started by Den-Den, November 06, 2016, 06:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den-Den

I installed a power feed upgrade on my home-built mill and of course had to try it out.  It is a big improvement, more consistent feed rate resulted in flatter cuts even with a less than perfect blade.  I may tweak the sprocket size for a faster return but could be happy as it is now.  I am using a 1/4hp 3 phase motor, a 60 - 1 gearbox and a 1/2 hp VFD (120vac input).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

kelLOGg

Good for you. Show us some pics. Not many of us have 3 phase power unless we produce our own.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bedway

Sounds good, more input on your set up would be nice.

Larry

Instead of changing sprocket size for faster return you might consider programing the VFD to run at 120hz on the return.  Are you using a pot or the vfd to get variable speed?  If using a pot you might be able to bypass on the return with a switch in parallel.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Den-Den

I failed to take pictures, will be a few days before I can get pics.
Three phase power is NOT required, the small VFD converts 120v household power to 240v 3 phase.
The set-up is pretty simple, a motor drives a gear-reducer which has a sprocket on output shaft.  A #40 roller chain pulls the sawmill head up and down the track.  Only have chain pulling on one side (I only pushed it from one side before).

I probably will program the inverter to go higher than 60 hz but will not likely go all the way to 120hz as the gearbox would then be running at twice its rated speed.  I am using a pot wired to VFD for forward speed control and the pot is bypassed with the reverse switch for full speed reverse.

I am a fan of VFD drives and was already using 120v power to power the up/down and set-works.  The main engine is 23 hp B & S.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Thank You Sponsors!