iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

World Record Trees

Started by Jeff, December 20, 2003, 08:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rebocardo

Amazing! General Sherman is 2,000 tons!

Ianab

thats pretty amazing stuff eh

I'll put these trees in as runner ups in the big tree compettion

ttp://www.hokiangatourism.org.nz/waipoua/tane_mahuta.htm

More info on this page especially about a really big one that was lost in a forest fire in the 1890s

http://www.insights.co.nz/story_behind_i.asp

This page talks about the swamp kauri.. logs that have been buried in swamps of up to 50,000 years and are still solid

http://www.kauri-museum.com/html/MoreInfo.html

Now as for the 150 year old tree thats 4 inches high..... ::)
Umm... I guess you just have to watch your step in that forest?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Stan

Well I have seen those bristle cone pines up close and personal, and to me they look like shrubs.  :-/ I don't know about them growing in Colorado, but there are a bunch in the White Mountains that form the California/Nevada border.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

rebocardo

How about the fig tree with roots 396 feet long! That will not tip over in a storm anytime soon, I do not think you will be yanking it out of the ground anytime soon with a pickup truck either :-D

SwampDonkey

This is how we grow'm on the Charlottes

Yours truly in the foreground.

And this is how we log'm

:o                                           8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

Saints preserve us SwampDonkey! yer a wee Leprechaun yea are!

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

You better get out your 20 m logger's tape with pi-cm on the reverse to measure the dbh of these pumpkins. Those little 7.5 meter d-tapes aren't long enough.  :D

Anyone care to measure high side of these trees on 60 % slope? Don't forget to remove the moss.

;D               ;D                     ;D                     ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen_Wiley

Hey Swamp,

Why did ya lean that stick up next to it*  It's blocking the full view of it .....or were you afraid you might not be seen. :D :D :D

Metal Mosquitoes - yep they use them around here too!!!

* (tree in foreground)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

SwampDonkey

@ Stephen

Lepricauns are pretty strong eh?  ;D

And I needed something to lean on  to  :)

Stephen_Wiley

QuoteAnyone care to measure high side of these trees on 60 % slope? Don't forget to remove the moss.

;D               ;D                     ;D                     ;D

Sure.........sounds like fun.  Just need to know how high the first structurally sound lateral for a tie in is.  (Need to know which rope to use).   8)  8)  8)

Unfortunately, that's a long haul from here.  Kevin is closer and may want to have the fun !!!

Stephen_Wiley

Quote@ Stephen

Lepricauns are pretty strong eh?  ;D

And I needed something to lean on  to  :)

Sure must be------- that stick must be  apx. 2' dbh by what min.of 60' in height  ???

SwampDonkey

@ Stephen

hmmm it was a 50 meter tree, and I recall no limbs untill 20 meters up. That place was almost a nightmare to work in because they had left alot of log waste back in the 40's and we had to climb over alot of those cedar remnants with up to 30 cm dbh hemlock growing out of the sapwood and moss. We were sampling juvenile stands, well juvenile for the NW coast.  ;D

SwampDonkey

@ Stephen

Yeah, the stick was a good sized tree for New Brunswick stadards. It was sitka spruce I believe. I've been in groves of Sitka growing on fans of land slides where they seem to grow best. The average dbh was 2.6 meters (max 3 meters) and the average height was 65 m, maximum around 75 meters. $20,000 pumpkins (15,000 to 20,000 board feet) definately more than 2 semi's will hold. I think 8000 board feet (bangor log rule) unmilled is a big load of wood  ;D

The MOF wouldn't let us log'm though  :'(

L. Wakefield

hmm- trees like that on the EAST coast- who knew? I'd've thought it was out west somewhere.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

SwampDonkey

@ L. Wakefield

NO NO NO  :D

The Charlottes is an abbreviation for the Queen Charlotte Islands on the west coast of BC. This speciman was found on Elizabeth Island.

Ever try to take a picture from inside a bubble  ;D

L. Wakefield

Oh good. That makes me feel better. I looked at your 'home' map and I didn't recognize the name- and then you said it was a 'good sized tree for New Brunswick standards'. And down the garden path I went. But it sure looked like trees out west. (I wish they grew that way here..)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!