iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GAS WORKED FINE?

Started by minesmoria, May 17, 2005, 03:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minesmoria

I USED THE WRONG  GAS LAST NIGHT IT WAS THE CHINASW MIXED 50/1 INSTEAD OF REGULAR GAS, AND THE LAWMOWER RAN FINE WITH THE MIXED GAS IN IT.

WHATS UP WITH THAT? :'(

mike_van

I would have to say 50 to 1 is darn little oil - If it was the "old" days, and 16 to 1 you would have had a great bug killer - till the plug fouled that is!!! :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Ianab

Yeah... sparkplug on the 4 stroke mower will foul up sooner or later if it's running with 2 stoke mix, but it's not instant death like if you mix the cans up the other way around. ::)

You was lucky  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

What a timely thread. You think you goofed?  I am thinking I have really lost it.  I was trying to dig my jug of bar oil out of my pack rat barn and somehow snagged the bottom on something. First sign was when I turned around to try to remember why I was after the oil in the first place and saw the nice little squiggle tracks all over behind me.  Well, thinking in a hurry, I knew my rancher was in need of refueling and bar oil so I figured I would get rid of part of the oil in it. Screwed off the lid and had the resevoir almost full when I realized I was dumping bar oil in the gas tank.

Stupid Stupid STUPID
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sprucegum

You're only stupid if you try to start it now :D :D

leweee

Quote from: Jeff B  Screwed off the lid and had the resevoir almost full when I realized I was dumping bar oil in the gas tank.

Stupid
size=14pt]Stupid[/size] STUPID

Even the Boss has senior moments. :D :D :D
Jeff...the spouse reminds me "That kind of stupid just don't wash off"...DanG....just hates when that happens ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

DanManofStihl

At my work my boss runs mix gas in the push mowers even though they are four strokes he does not care. The brand he runs is the cheapest one he can find that stuff is horrible he mixes it at 32 to 1 that stuff will kill some mosquitos I turned around to quickly once with my blower got a wiff of it man that made my eyes water. I run old mix in my truck sometimes when it is old I have never had a problem. Their is not that much oil in the gas.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

wiam

A friend of mine runs mix in everything, splitter, mower, snowblower, saw trimmer, blower/vac.  All gas in his shed is mixed.  He has never put unmixed in a two stroke. ;D ;D

Will

1953greg

minesmoria,
thats a great way to get rid of some old mix.  lubes the 4-stroke valves.  when its 50:1 you wouldnt know it if you didnt know it.

jeff b,  been there done that.  if everyone would fess up i would guess 2/3 have done that one way or the other at least once, maybe more.  the other third havent been there long enough.  its ok, we r over 40.    1953greg

good day    greg

Rockn H

I just wish Lucas would add dye to their two stroke mix.  With my memory and luck I know it's just a matter of time till I think it's got oil in it and it don't. ::)

Scuba_Dave

Well better then a friend of mine, who decided to change his own car oil. I offered to help, but he wanted to do it himself. So he drains it, and then refills 4 quarts - then goes to start the car to let it warm up - then measure the oil again. There is a large screeching noise!!! He shuts it off and I look & see that he has: drained the tranny fluid, and then pured 4 more quarts of oil into the oil pan. 
So now he needs tranny fluid, and to drain all the oil & refill
Guess I should of at least watched......

Ernie

When I was a kid in the old days, the really old days, I used to put castrol R in the 4 stroke mower gas because I liked the smell and it made mowing fun.  No wonder I'm the way I am now smiley_tom_dizzyguy01
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Al_Smith

Now I will tell you about stupid.I've told this before.I use old anti freeze jugs for saw gas.I filled up my weekwacker,which soon quite running.Hmm,whats up with that.It wasn't until I put coolant in my old truck,which smelled like gasoline,that I discovered my mistake.

sawguy21

We have all been there at some point. Some of us will admit it, some of us won't :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Al just made me feel better. :D

Ironwood

I did the same, not under duress of a leaking can.

How about putting diesel into a Farmall M on the farm when I was a teen, lets just say the boss was a little upset when I fired her up................least I knew something was wrong!!
                                       Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Rockn H

Ok, for some reason this post has reminded me of when I bought an old Linclon welder and I have to confess.  It had been set up for a few years and needed attention.  Soon as I bought it I stopped off and fill up the tank with good old #1 diesel.  A friend stopped by and we got to talking about fuel prices while I cleaned the points and plugs.  About this time it dawned on me I had better clean out the fuel tank. ;D  Since it had been setting for a while. ::) ;D ::) ::)
My buddy thought the gas smelled pretty weak. ::) ::)

sawguy21

When I managed the truck fleet for the helicopter company, I put 6"x6" DIESEL FUEL ONLY decals beside the fill door. Somebody asked me if I thought the pilots might see that. :D :D One time they put Jet B in a gas powered truck figuring it was better than nothing and beat walking to camp::)

Jeff

I think we've created a confessional  :D  Feels good to share don't it?  :D

beenthere

Never been to 'confessional' before, but now I have to admit-

When beginning a job at a service station part-time in HighSchool, a guy with a Chev straight six, overhead valve engine asked for a quart of anti-freeze. Dumped it right in the oil fill hole. I started seeing anti-freeze running out under the valve cover, and had to muster up the courage to admit what I had done.
The boss just laughed, and managed to get the customer to 'laugh' too, but I'd like to crawled in a hole.
We pushed it in, drained the oil, flushed it out (don't remember with what), and put in new oil (off my pay check at $1/hr). Customer stuck around, and to my knowledge didn't have any problems with the car engine. I kept my job too.  ::)

Never in 50 years have admitted that to anyone - else!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chris J

A few months back I was checking/topping off the fluid levels in my Nissan Frontier.  I caught myself pouring windshield wiper fluid into the radiator reserve container.  Luckily I hadn't poured in very much.  I occasionally have problems strating my trimmer; has something do with a switch marked on/off  ::).
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

maple flats

I put about a qt or 2 of gas in my diesel tractor this past winter. Realized it before starting, and got enough diesel to completely top the tank. Ran ok, but I added more diesel everytime it was down a couple of gal. until I thought it was essentially gone. Just daydreaming I guess. ;D
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Mtnjack

Kid next store comes over .and were not home,[ borrows ]some gas for his dads ford truck does not know i keep 5 gal can full of water for the sawmill lube.Makes it 100 yds in front of my place and dies dad ends up replacing engine.Kids still waiting to drive.Wont be swiping gas ever again. Mtn Jack

barbender

At work one day I filled up the fuel tank on one of the skid steers.  Except it wasn't the fuel tank- it was the hydraulic tank.  So I bring it to the company's shop to get it drained and put a new filter on.  I told the shop foreman that some idiot put diesel in the hydraulic tank. He says "Was it you?"  I said "yeah." and he just started laughing at me.  I rib the guy all the time so he's always waiting for me to screw up.  He doesn't usually have to wait very long.
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

I remember changing the oil on my dad's lawnmower. I could not figure out why it was taking a full quart  until I noticed the stream running down the driveway. He was not amused.

Thank You Sponsors!