iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Generator Aggravation

Started by YellowHammer, May 22, 2024, 07:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I suspect the natural gas were standby where gas was available piped in. Diesel is easier to use for primary power in a portable situation. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

RetiredTech

It's been my experience that diesel engines will outlast the gas engines. LP and NG are both just gas engines with a different metering system. The diesel generators I've seen run at a much lower rpm(Except some small air cooled models) than the gas generators do. The diesel uses less fuel, but at least down here LP gas is cheaper. When I needed a new standby generator for the house I paid the extra money for the diesel. It should outlast me.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

scsmith42

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 26, 2024, 11:22:43 PMI suspect the natural gas were standby where gas was available piped in. Diesel is easier to use for primary power in a portable situation.
^^^ This would be my assumption as well. NG and LP generators are almost always stationary backup units, whereas diesel can be stationary or mobile.

Mobile units frequently provide power for job sites where they run 10-12 hours a day. So a mobile unit might reach 20k hours in the same number of years that a standby unit reaches 1K hours.

The standby unit being sold is not worn out, but replaced due to the higher likelihood of unscheduled downtime due to an aged component. Versus the high hour unit is worn out.

Any facility where they've invested to cost to have a backup generator is probably one where uptime is critical. The low hours unit is being replaced in order to mitigate risk.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tule peak timber

Generator aggravation alleviation. 
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

Surely is purdy.   :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Is there any difference in the windings? Backup vs primary generator?  Better insulation, higher temperature rating before breakdown, stuff like that?

So when I got this 1993 unit, the big thing was that there was nothing that couldn't be worked on by me.  All field replaceable, but that strategy falls apart when I don't have a backup and and the original parts aren't made anymore.  So older, more primitive units have advantageous as long as they don't get too old. However, as things age, they break down anyway, even simple thing like switches, corroded connectors that rot off in my hands, gauges that just die for no reason, sensors that leak to ground and shut things off and is becoming very common now in this generator, and definitely affects the uptime, and since I am the lead sawyer, kiln operator, motor pool, and even mechanic, when something goes down, "we" at Hobby Hardwood stop producing lumber. Even something so simple as a relay switch can take significant time to diagnose and replace, the last one wasn't even available locally, I had to Amazon it, lost two days, and it was the wrong one even though I correctly cross referenced the part number, and finally had to call a Generac guy who said, "Yeah, it's a 1993 Ford 4 bolt starter relay, but kind of special, the engine starter they superseded it with will burn out quick." Which it did, so I ordered a couple, and then promptly broke wire connectors off, which I tried to replace, and then realized the wires were rotten, so had to replace them, and and so on and so on as logs kept piling up.  Kind of like my current fuel control, I can "replace" it, but after 30 years, it's not manufactured anymore, so I have to buy a different brand and style totally, and know that the bolt holes won't match my existing vaporizer, and I'll have to hand build an adapter plate to even get the stuff installed.  Sure, this is Mickey Mouse stuff, ain't no big deal, but it is when I've been down for over a week trying to source obsolete parts, and will have to monkey wrench the new ones in.  Assuming I can get the whole thing running again, anyway, as the parts alone just cost me $2K for a $6K generator.  My water pump is leaking, and for some reason my local auto parts store doesn't carry the 30 year old part, but they can order it, and have it in a couple days at twice the price.

That's the reason these "low hour" but old generators were taken out of service, for certain applications, uptime is important.

On the other hand, new systems have all their stuff computerized and locked out, and that's also a bad thing for an operation like mine, where the only answer I would have is for the repair guy to tell me I can't work on it and it'll take him a week to get to me. 

Of course, then add in all the emissions stuff for diesel, Tier 3 and 4 and that's another ball of poop I don't want to deal with.  That's why companies like Deere are getting sued in the "Right to Work On Equipment" lawsuit.

Even the way the fuel is delivered is an issue and prevents me from doing a quick engine swap.   Back in the good old days, the big block generators were commonly set up as liquid withdrawal LP systems, with the gasifier in the engine (good luck finding one of them) but in the last 20 years, pretty much everyone has switched to vapor withdrawal LP systems, and it uses a series of regulators on the tank supply line. So in order for me to switch from a 30 year old to even a 20 year old system is going to cost me down time just for time the gas company needs to reconfigure my 500 gallon tank for vapor withdrawal and install the piping and regulators (another $400) for it.  Plus permits and inspections.  Nothing difficult, but certainly time consuming and money.  Or if I try diesel I can avoid that, except Perkins, Cummins and Deere are off limits as far as local service.

So what I really need, and haven't been able to find, is a new modern simple engine, 350 V8 or more, non turbocharged, with no electronics to speak of, just "old school" fuel and ignitions systems with a couple basic safeties, like low oil and over temp.  Then I need a new but not electronically complex generator body with a good voltage regulator.  Fresh wires, clean connectors, no corrosion, no rotten insulation. 

What a joke.  My parts finally come in tomorrow hopefully, by 5pm UPS.  Of course I paid extra and ordered them 2nd day air last Thursday morning, and they should be here after 5 days....

Generator aggravation. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!