iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New solenoid=no starting???

Started by shinnlinger, October 01, 2009, 07:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

I have a Lull Tellehandler on loan with the condition I fix a few things.  The old solenoid was cracked, but I could start it with a crowbar.  I had to jump the big lug to the small lug first to get the plunger to pop and then jump the two big lugs to get the starter to spin.

I went and got a new solenoid and when I first hooked it up it started spinning as soon as I reconnected the power but not engaging even with the key off.  By loosening the mounting screws I could get it to stop spinning, so I took the unit back off and swapped the new plunger for the old one and plopped it back in.  NOw it does nothing.  I can jump the big lug to the small and it spins the motor but doesn't engage and it I jump big lug to big lug same deal.  I cannot get the plunger to pop

Do I need to attach the plunger end of the solenoid to the bendix gear somehow?  Any other ideas???

Thanks
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Slabs

Yes.  The solenoid needs to be connected to the bendix yoke to pull the bendix into the flywheel as the starter motor starts to spin up.  Try to remember how they were installed previously.

I believe Lull had a Chrysler/Dodge slant-six plant and can't remember how the starter was configured but was probably as I described.  Solenoid has two functions.  Pulls armature to engage bendix and completes high-current curcuit between battery and starter motor.

Also, make sure the yoke is inserted into the "hub" on the bendix correctly so that it will actuate the bendix properly.  It's a moderately simple assembly.  If it isn't obvious to you some local mechanical talent will be helpful.

Recheck and good luck.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!