iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Safety

Started by Dale Hatfield, April 22, 2010, 04:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Hatfield

Guys I wanted to post this here. I might be out of place. Remove if I'm out of line.
I finally have a safety class open to the public and wanted to share this with you.
As I know how hard it is to find one close to home. Hope this can help.
Dale
http://athens.osu.edu/topics/agriculture-and-natural-resources/basics-of-safe-chainsaw-operation
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

boobap

:o $150 for "common knowledge"  :o my hunters safety class was $5 last year, but that didn't include lunch...  ;)

beenthere

Nor was the hunter safety for credit, with paid professionals in teaching, etc, etc. Was taught be volunteers.

Hocking will get a fair amount of administrative overhead out of that fee, and pay for advertising the class and keeping instructors with a full time job.   No free lunch.

But we are fast becoming a society that expects everything to be "free".  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

$150 is the "going rate" for the Game of Logging classes around here... and we don't get lunch included. I've been through levels 1 through 3, and found them all well worth it (still trying to get into a level four class that fits my schedule).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

maple flats

I also paid about that for GOL levels 1 and 2 in 2007. The price sounds right. Those who think the price is too high have no clue the prep time you go thru to have the class go smoothly. I know the behind the scenes work from the Rifle classes I teach. For every hour in class you likely spend 2 hrs prep time.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

John Mc

... not to mention I imagine the liability insurance must be pretty steep.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!