iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Maple on the Frick

Started by ddcuning, December 10, 2017, 02:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddcuning

A couple of weeks ago I was given a large maple. Talked with Scott Smith he suggested I saw it into slabs 2-3/4" thick and as wide as I could with live edge. Sawed it today and made a video as well. Thanks for the advice Scott, it made some nice lumber!

Dave C

https://youtu.be/Q-vcp2hhp_w
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

ToddsPoint

Very impressive mill.  Thanks for the video.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Savannahdan

Thank you for the video.  Enjoyed it while having morning breakfast and coffee.  That mill really does a nice job and I don't blame it for being difficult with the cold.  I'm the same way.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

bandmiller2

Dave, glad things are up and running well. On my mill I don't recall ever seeing a dust cloud like in your vid, is that fine dust or water from the log.?? Didn't get a good look at your log deck but flip up triangular log turners would be a big help especially with heavy stuff. As I've said a mill is never really done there are always little improvements that can be made. Log handling is where improvements can be made as saw time in the log is pretty much set. Its tough to operate a circular mill alone some conveyers and roller tables will help but not as much as two more hands. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ddcuning

Frank, that was water from the log. The logs were giving off little clouds of vapor as we were sawing them. I guess because it was cold and it being hard maple, it was heating at the teeth just enough in the cut to give off the vapor. The blade stayed cold and cut stayed true so I don't think it was an issue with the saw.

Agree a mill is never finished. Yesterday before sawing I made some changes to the operator handle with some new springs and chain to get it to return to neutral when you let go of the stick. By spring, I need to paint again and need to get the auto receeder installed. Always something but its fun at the same time.

I agree that some help turning the logs would be a good thing. I took a lot of time moving this log because it was so large and I didn't want to mess it up any or mess me up any! I turned, checked and rechecked before sawing it using my logrite and levers to position the log slowly. I normally don't saw anything by myself but my friend Steve just wasn't out yet and I was itching to get started. Of course he helped when I was sawing the big slabs.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

dgdrls

Really nice Dave C.   I always enjoy the video's you share with us. 

D

Sixacresand

Enjoyed the video.  You make it look easy. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

I really enjoyed watching you and the Frick saw that log.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lyle niemi

sealark37

A nice job of sawing on a well appointed mill.  Not bad videography, either.   Thanks, Dave.   Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!