iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recovering digital photos from a cameras deleted memory card

Started by woodbowl, February 19, 2006, 12:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

Receintly the pictures from my digital camera were accidentally deleted. Thanks to some friends here on the forum, I was able to download a program and view the thunbnails to varify their existance. Not willing to buy the recovery program for a one time use, I proceded to my nearest computor repair buisness. I was insured that they could recover the pictures that would be less than the recovery program. All that was needed was my memory card ............ on second thought, let me have your camera also .............. on third thought, I need your USB cable too. Everything will be finished tomorrow.
     Tomorrow came and the first thing he said as he handed me the camera was, I was unable to recover your pictures because your batteries died and you did not supply me with a power cord. When he didn't offer any further explaination, I opened the camera to reveal the batteries and said, all it takes it two AA bateries. The look on his face reminded me of a milk cow staring at a brand new gate. ............  I left with my camera thinking, how can you not know to put in batteries? I just don't think I want to let them have another try at it with fresh batteries.
     Now I'm back to square one. I can buy a recovery program that I will probably never use again, continue to look for another photo/computor buisness that hopefully has enough sense to put batteries in or locate an individual that already has a recovery program.
     Does anyone have free/share ware? Do I have other options?  Thanks
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

The guy didn't do all that much to inspire confidence, did he? ::) :D :D

If someone doesn't come up with some freeware, which ain't likely, you just gotta weigh all the factors and make a choice.  How much is the program vs how much the 'puter store would charge to do it?  How long are you willing to do without your camera?  Do you want the pics more than you want the money it would cost?

You could buy the software, then offer the service to others for a small fee.  You seem to be the World's leading expert on this subject now, anyway. :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbowl

Quote from: DanG on February 19, 2006, 01:07:30 PM

You seem to be the World's leading expert on this subject now, anyway.

It's starting to look that way. That reminds me of something I heard the other day. A man was blasting another fellow on a job that he was dissatisfied with. He said, You don't know as much as I do, and I don't know nuthin'  :-X
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

isawlogs

How much is the recovery program   ???  Will it recover pics for most makes of cameras  ???
  What I am getting  at is most of us here has it happenned to us at one point or it will , Murphy's law , What if we where to get together and buy one and share it amongs us , would that make any sense or am I out in the field somewheres .  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

woodbowl

This is the one I've been exploring. It is the only one I know of that allows you to view deleted pics BEFORE you purchase the program. I think is aroud $70.

http://www.recovermyfiles.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: isawlogs on February 19, 2006, 01:28:31 PM
   How much is the recovery program   ???  Will it recover pics for most makes of cameras  ???
  What I am getting  at is most of us here has it happenned to us at one point or it will , Murphy's law , What if we where to get together and buy one and share it amongs us , would that make any sense or am I out in the field somewheres .  ::)

I don't think the software company would take kindly to it.  ;)  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodbowl

Here is a recovery program that was just sent to me. http://www.artplus.hr/adapps/eng/dpr.htm    It is supposed to be free. I am a bit confused concerning the "important note" at the bottem of the page, mainly because I don't understand the language. It sounds almost like it will erase what I have if I'm not careful.
   Also, I have an incredibly slow connection speed. If someone can check it out with their deleted camera first and let me know how it turns out, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Minnesota_boy

I took time to download the program, then deleted some pictures from one of my camera cards so I would have something for it to possibly recover.  I deleted 12 pictures.  It recovered 67, including some that had been deleted for more than 6 months.  The program was a free download but after it had sucessfully recovered the photo's it asked if you would be willing to make a donation, $10 suggested.  Seems pretty well worth that price for it's ability to recover priceless (or worthless) pictures.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

asy

woody,

That format thing is not related to the recovery programme.

The same company also has a 'total wipe clean' programme, for example if you want to sell the card and don't want people to have access to all your photos ;) :o ;)

I am downloading the recovery programme now, and will report on it's magnificence or otherwise shortly. Hopefully I get the same result as Minneboy!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

asy

Okey dokey,

took a few minutes, but....

From a totally 'deleted' card this programme recovered, wait for it...   490 images.

that's Four hundred and ninety images. There's no decimal point mistake!!!  :D

Some of these photos are a year old and have been 'overwritten' MANY times.

I say GO FOR IT!

Must admit, the first time I need to use this programme to rescue accidentally deleted files I will make the donation of $10 to the programmer. May do it now just to ensure the juy eats!!! :D  (I want him to keep writing these programmes)!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

woodbowl

Good news everybody! ......... I finally got the program to work for me. It has recovered about 320 pics. I would like to say a special thanks to Minnesota_boy for helping me through this. Thanks asy and Marcel for helping as well. In the next few days I plan to post some of these pictures on "Greetings from Florida" in the General Board. ..... May even get a few on tonight.  What I need to do right now is change the thumbs down in this topic to a Thumbs Up.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=17189.0

isawlogs

Sure is nice to hear that ...  8) Its nice when a plan comes together .  :)

Marcel

sprucebunny

Hey ... that's great news  8)

Teamwork is a great thing ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

iain

Suberb news indeed, think i will down load it and donate just in case :D

iain

Tom

I thought I would experiment, so I downloaded it.  I can't get it to recognize that I have a card reader.  It's a reader mounted in my HP1000 printer.  It just wants to acknowledge my CD and Floppy disc drives.  hmm

iain

Corp Tomskerofski
i had to check in "my computer" to see were the card was, then click the drop down box top left in the programe, tick the box, and go it, found 987 files on the small card, but most of them were only about 7.8kb, so just a note of the file, on the other hand it did restore 127 from just after Christmas,
and with the big nikon, the whole of the last deleted lot, but nothing of use from before that

iain

Tom

I can find  my card reader in My Computer.  It's installed in my printer but has a separate address.  The drop-down of the program doesn't acknowledge it though.  I'm wondering if it's because the reader is in the printer.  ???   The drop-down only acknowledges the existance of my CD drives and Floppy drive.

iain

That will be your problemo

if your reader is "usb" then whang it into the computer its self

if its a part of the printer, try and find a way to isolate it, i aint got any thing set up like that so cant play for you

iain

woodbowl

I'm sure glad yall know what your talking about. I'm not sure what I did to make it work. I just feel lucky to get anything to come up. I pluged the USB cable to my camera and clicked "F" drive. Computor language is so confusing to me.

SwampDonkey

Tom it might be related to your driver software. My Computer shows my Printer HPG55 and shows a Scanner as well, it's an all-in-one printer. Maybe check your printer install disk or the HP website for a driver update. If my Handheld or my Camera are hooked up to my USB cable I can use the SD card in each as a disk as if it's installed in my computer. I don't know anything about the photo recovery program you guys are using, but if windows finds your card reader the program should, make sure a card is in it. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Danny_S

I downloaded and run this program and found about 600 pics. But for some reason I am unable to view the pics with any of the programs I have. Not sure what is up with that. Pretty cool little program though.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

iain

Look at the size of the files, if its found that many most will just be ghosts,
you need a few hundred kilo bites to get an image, you will have to look through, its not as slow as it sounds once you know what your looking for

iain

Thank You Sponsors!