iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exciting day! What about that hammering?

Started by Justin@Wv, October 06, 2012, 09:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin@Wv

Today was a long day taking my m-14 apart and getting it home. It took two trips and about all day. But it was rewarding and got it here withou anything happening or breaking! I think I am gonna pour concrete piers and set 3/4" anchor bolts for a good base that will be forever. The guy I bout it off of had it sitting on cribs and it wasn't as stable as I would want it to be, so I'm gonna go for concrete unless anyone else has a good idea they've seen or done!?  I guess the more important question is how do you no when the blade needs hammering and what tools can I get to do this myself and how hard is it to do?
"With these hands"

dgdrls

Hey Justin,

Great news on a boring trip, those are the ones you want :)

Hammering a saw takes skill and knowledge,  there are some places to get info,
but better to let an expert do the work first then learn as you go.

http://senecasaw.com/  here is a link to the saw doctor in the Finger Lakes region of N.Y.
I know,   not close to you but it's a start

Best
DGDrls

paul case

The concrete footings and anchors will probably work, but if you go that route dont load logs directly on it with a loader or lift. build a dead deck to gently roll the logs over onto the mill or else you will have it all bent out of shape in a hurry. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ron Wenrich

If your saw needs hammered, you should take it to a saw doc.  There should be one in your area.  Usually the guys that sell saw supplies have one on staff or they know a good one to go to.  It'll save you a lot more time than trying to do it yourself.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Awesome News  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup wheres the pics  ;) With saw tensioning I have always had a Sawdoctor do it as  I have always thought its better to have someone who knows exactly what they are doing work on a saw plate woth $1 to $3000 dollars sure its something I could learn but for the few times it needs done and the little bit it costs  its not worth learning on My own saws  ;) :D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sealark37

If you have trouble finding a saw doc, there is a good one at Union Grove Saw.  It is a stone's throw from I-77 at Union Grove, North Carolina.

loggah

Justin, Untill you get it set up and running you really wont know if it needs hammering . The main thing is to make sure your lead in the saw is correct, running that saw with the tractor P.T.O. it should have been hammered to run from 525 RPM and 575 RPM thats what the Belsaw manual reccomends. my tractor PTO actually runs close to 600 RPM ,but at slows just a bit in the cut so the saw runs true. The concrete  piers are the right way to go and rolling the logs on the carriage  easy is the way to go . The steel frame is actually more flexible then the old wood frame  Belsaws ,they wont take as much of a beating. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Cutting Edge

Jeremy, there are a couple saw docs within 1 1/2 hrs of me....McCormick and Sons in OH towards Wheeling and Albright Saw over in Bloomingville Ohio.  McCormick is slightly cheaper per inch, but both folks seem very nice on the phone.  They'll make and appointment for you and they'll do the work while you wait.  These are the closest folks I've found near me.

McCormick and Sons
105 Grace St, Bethesda, OH 43719
(740) 484-4523
( no website I know of )

FRICKCO, INC. & ALBRIGHT SAW CO.
54660 Pretty Run Rd.
S. Bloomingville, OH 43152
Ph: (740) 887-3799
http://fricksawmills.com/
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Thank You Sponsors!