iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The long weekend sawmill project....

Started by Joel Eisner, November 26, 2007, 08:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Eisner

We moved the mill up to the new barn/shop (36x46 ft pole barn) and started to work on the siding.  Instead of the typical board and batton over the 2x4 nailers we glued and nailed osb on the nailers and applied 15 lb felt.  On that 3/4 bb syp siding is going up.  It is being prestained with Jassco Terminate ... the same stuff we used on the house. 

The trees (~100 12-6 syp logs) all came from the barn site so they have only traveled about 50 ft at the most.  The mill is now in its semi permanent spot and I never realized how much easier it is milling under the end of a barn.  We have a 10x36 ft end dedicated to the mill and wood with the entire end open due to the manufactured trusses. 

It took about 1500 bf of pine to do the three walls and the remainder will be left open or have doors.

The two helpers (Jacob 6 and Josh 7) earned a few bucks and got a trip to the hobby shop to buy some model rockets. They do a decent job tailing and emptying the sawdust bucket.

The saga continues at our blog www.boothemountain.blogspot.com
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

gharlan

Looking good Joel. I know you must be proud with all you have accomplished. Of course that good looking help may be due some credit too. Best of luck with it all.   gary

woodmills1

nice work, siding and barn look real fine
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dave Shepard

Looks good! Once you saw inside, you won't want to go back outside. Our mill shed has an insulated ceiling, makes it much cooler in the summer. And no shovelling in the winter. 8) I like your sawdust bucket idea.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Joel Eisner

I have every plan on hooking up a blower for the sawdust in the near future but the bucket works well especially when my two sons help for $1/hr tailing and emptying the bucket every 5 min or so. 
Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 26, 2007, 01:10:57 PM
I like your sawdust bucket idea.
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

brdmkr

Joel,

I did a search on that finish (looks nice by the way), but I couldn't find a 'stain'.  I found a Jasco termin-8 that was listed as a wood preservative.   They have a brown and green version, but they spoke of painting or staining over the preservative.  Can you provide a little more info on just what you used?  Also, do you have any remembrance regarding what the stuff cost?

Thanks.

Mike
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Joel Eisner

Quote from: brdmkr on November 26, 2007, 02:20:51 PM
I did a search on that finish (looks nice by the way), but I couldn't find a 'stain'.  I found a Jasco termin-8 that was listed as a wood preservative.   They have a brown and green version, but they spoke of painting or staining over the preservative.  Can you provide a little more info on just what you used?  Also, do you have any remembrance regarding what the stuff cost?

I got it at Lowes for about $12/gal and use it as a stain eventhough it is a wood preservative.  We have a plan of staining over it in the future but don't know when that will be.  It goes great over syp and poplar and I have also used it on some purchased 2x material to get it to match with the stained mill stock.

We have 4 ft overhang on the gable and 2 ft on the eaves on the house and the stain looks as good as it did on day one when it was put up about 18 mo ago.

solodan

Looks good Joel, :) and for $1/hr tailing, I can put your boys to work 7 days a week, If they ever run out of work at your place. ;)

solodan

Wait, is that $1hr/ each or do you get 2 for $1. :D

Joel Eisner

Quote from: solodan on November 27, 2007, 11:34:56 PM
Wait, is that $1hr/ each or do you get 2 for $1. :D

It gets tough sometimes getting both to work at once!  It is $1/hr per kid.  The younger one is more into it and does a good job for an hour or two and then that is it. 

The older son (by 20 months) likes more to run boards back to me when I am planing down trim and flooring etc.

I guess a pile of saw dust, a bag of army men and some equipment is more interesting than video games, especially when it is cold outside and they can also keep the fire going.

Tom

Joel,
A  hand saw, a box of box nails  and a hammer makes for great intertainment at that age.  Just turn them loose in the slab pile.  They will build all kinds of neat stuff.  You just have to make sure that they are corralled real good and don't drive nails in the side of the house.  :D

You'll end up with forts, club houses, bird houses, and boards with5 pounds of nails in a space the size of your hand.   When they get through, burn the projects, collect the nails and send them back out to do it again.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!