iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

long weekend in Maryland

Started by sawmill_john, March 09, 2004, 01:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmill_john

I've got more pictures from my working weekend in MD, I flew back to the Annapolis area to set up a new mill for a customer this last weekend.  I tell you I've met more interesting people doing this kind of work.  The man is 77 years young and just can't and won't quite working he has slowed down but I have to hand it to the guy he has a lot of fight left in him and he knows logging and sawmilling.  All he wants to do is saw up his logs when he wants to and for 1-2 hours at a time.  We got the mill set up and running on saturday, in the puoring down rain, and thunder storms. we were about 15 miles from Baltimore, and the water taxi accident, the weather was very bad, but I had my rain gear and being born and raised in Oregon I didn't melt.  Sunday was as nice as you could ask off a march day to be and we sawed up a few english walnut logs that at first glance I would not have thought they would even make good fire wood out, but to my surprise we turned out some nice mantel stock, check out the below pictures.

English Walnut mostly 3 x 6's, 3 x 8's, 3 x 9's, a few 1x's

This is the 3 phase Electric powered Mobile Dimension Saw, it down right screams through the wood even that some what dry English Walnut.

We run a 25 HP and a 15 HP motor on the electric mills.

mostly English Walnut and some cherry logs, they have been there for a few years.

This is the guys head rig saw that he used for years, but is a little to much work for 1 guy to run.  The hurrican of last september all but brought the building around the saw, it is for sale, i'm not sure what hes asking but it doesn't look to bad.

let me know what you guys think of this set up.

John

Norm

I like it, being an electric mill owner I wouldn't use anything else. That's one huge genset he's got setting there powering the mill.

Frank_Pender

Saswmill John told me yesterday that the get set is simply backup and for taking the mill out for a job if he wishes.  I wish I had 3 phase here I would go electric.  The power company wants better than $500,000 to run the 3 phase about 3 1/2 miles.  It must be because it is all up hill. :D
Frank Pender

shopteacher

Frank, ever thought of going phase converter?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Thank You Sponsors!