iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just bought my first tractor!

Started by Timberline, October 11, 2023, 01:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

anything worth doing has a learning curve
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GAB

Quote from: doc henderson on November 04, 2023, 05:46:00 AM
anything worth doing has a learning curve
I agree and sometimes the curve is very steep.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Timberline

I was able to get a set of lifting tongs, they are made in USA and weight rated up to 2,500 lbs each so should be overkill for my purposes. That will help a lot in my goal of making this machine a log mover. 

I know many of you recommended I convert to SSQA. I am wanting to explore this option more. Originally I was opposed to it for a couple reasons. Firstly, I paid $8,500 for the tractor and didn't want to invest a lot of money in such an old machine. Second, I can't really think of another FEL attachment I'd really care to own aside from a bucket and a set of forks. I was thinking if I could find a set of pin on forks or make my own it might be slightly time consuming to switch but I would be way ahead financially. 

That being said I'm wanting to at least explore converting to SSQA and find out the cost and work involved. Are there two types, one that pins on to the existing FEL attachment and another that you weld on? If so what is the recommended type? 

beenthere

Agree with you, as I have the FEL on my tractor and have only two attachments which are the bucket and the forks (forks have a "thumb" if needed). To me, the SSQA is just added weight.

If anything, fabricate your forks so they can also be picked up by the 3ph and add an hydraulic top arm to make them very handy indeed (along with the many other 3ph attachments).

Good on the tongs. We like pics..  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Timberline

I hadn't even thought about the additional weight, great point. Family that live on the driveway do snow plowing with a truck so I just can't think of anything else I'd need for the FEL. I can think of 3 pt attachments I'd like on the other hand. I like the idea of making the forks to work on the rear. I'll get some pics of the tongs as soon as I get them, they'll probably arrive next week sometime.

Timberline

I saw this picture and thought that might be a great design to copy. Or better yet maybe find a good deal on a set of forks and frame and modify the frame this way? Looks like they just used some large angle iron and U bolts to make the pin-on attachment. 

Thank You Sponsors!