iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LD3000 Ebac dryer

Started by gibby, June 19, 2009, 06:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gibby

Ok I built a 8' X 8' X 16' kiln, (on wheels it has to be portable just like the 2 sawmills). Installed a used LD3000, started it up and it did not chill, (did the chill test as on page 16 of the owner's manual when I bought it, it chilled) called an A/C buddy. 650 bucks later it chills.

So I load it up for a test run with some fresh cut green cherry, 1200BF 4/4, close the doors turn on the LD300, set the controller to 35C/95F and set controller to "C" continues, and walk away. Look at the controller ten minutes later compressor is on and making water.

4 hours later the kiln had made 2.5 gallons of water, controller indicated over heat, showed 35C, temperature in the kiln was 35C/95F, compressor was not on. Reset dyer control to 90%, compressor started, Temperature setting stayed at 35C.

24 Hours later kiln made no water. Controller set 35C, Compressor setting at C, showed over heat again.

I am think the overheat setting is too close to the Temperature setting and the controller shuts down the compressor.

Can I reset the over heat setting? Higher? If so how do I do that? Any help would be grateful.

Some pic of the kiln.

foreground black walnut on the procut mill kiln behind.

foreground black walnut on the procut mill kiln behind.

Kcwoodbutcher

If it's like the ebac 800 it's 3 degrees above the setpoint . You really don't want to change it because you defeat the purpose of the controller. What you need is an overheat vent with a separate controller. Penn and johnson controls make units which will work. You can usually find them on e-bay. Just wire some type of exhaust fan to the controller with a louvered intake at the opposite end of the kiln. Another way is to remove some insulation from part of the kiln. This can be kind of iffy because how well it works depends on the outside temp.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Ironwood

Over heating can, and does occur during summer months on a fairly well insulated kiln (I have a LD3000 as well. I never start drying from green, so I tend to be  a little aggessive w/ the controls  ;D which enables me to aviod your issue. Like the man said vent it w/ additional controls, and dont worry, your incoming air should/ will still be dryer than the outgoing air (like the ole Koetter kiln systems, it is all relative).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

gibby

ok over heat vents Penn and Johnson controls i will look into it.

thanks

Thank You Sponsors!