iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the best length boards for sale to the public ?

Started by chainsaw_louie, September 04, 2023, 03:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw_louie

I have two premium 28" white oak logs that I am cutting into boards on my Lucas 8 mill, many will be quarter-sawn.

The width will be the maximum I can cut,  8.25" ,   thickness is 5/4 .

The logs are 13.5'  and  15.5' long ,  I cant really manage to create a flat stack that long so I thought I'd cut the boards  to about  7.5'  and 5.5' .

Is there any preference or industry standard for selling hardwood lumber ?  When is a board too short or too long ?
!

Ljohnsaw

Did you mean 7.5 and 6.5? Basically cutting the the logs in half? 

When it comes to making furniture and such, random lengths and widths is fine in hardwood. I wish I had any hardwood to cut out here!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

doc henderson

Lowes and places will have 8-foot-long pallets to stack on.  If you can come close to that for the majority of boards, then go shorter as you go up.  do you have a buyer.  If someone wanted trim such as baseboard, then the longer lengths would be helpful.  I have skids at 42 inches deep.  6 foot 2 inches long, and 9 foot 2 inches long.  I may make a 12-foot 2 inch long.  you can always make it shorter and thinner, but not the other way around.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

chainsaw_louie

8' skids for free , I like that idea !

I've always made a base of cinder blocks on ground , then two long 8x8" posts , then 4x4" cross members every 24" finally boards.  Maybe this is overkill, 8' pallets sure sounds easier. 

doc henderson

you should ask, but they let me have all I want.  they cannot be the ones painted yellow or blue, as those are returnable, for Quick-rete and heavy stuff that needs heavy duty.  these are pallets as they have bottom boards, and my skids, have no bottom boards, but all the spaces between the supports are the same (18 inches apart) so you can stack one on the other.  do you have a tractor to lift the pallet?  You can just use then to stack wood up off the ground with stickers.  I also get the boards made to support strapping under stuff, with the grove for strapping.  

Here is about 450 BF of cedar on a 9-foot 2-inch skid.  I have a thread on how to sticker individual logs, all the same width and length.  

save, saw, sweep, stack, sticker, secure, and dry one log at a time in Drying and Processing (forestryforum.com)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

cutterboy

louie, 8' is the most common but any length is ok. I sell a lot of 5 and 6 foot lumber.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

jpassardi

The ideal length will be whatever length you don't cut them...
If you have stacks of 10's and 12's - they'll need 8's  ::)
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Joe Hillmann

I personally would cut them 8'6"

If for no other reason than that is what people tend to expect.  And if the lumber ends up not being furniture quality lumber, a 8' board will have a lot more uses than a 7'6" board.

SawyerTed

I'm in the 8' plus trim minimum group.  

With that said there's not much 8' furniture if your target customers are furniture builders.  They are used to 8' lengths but may only need 4' or 5' lengths.  

My only problem with shorter than 8' is clamping on the mill takes more time and can require fiddling on a hydraulic mill. Manual mills have an advantage there. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

GAB

I was once told by a sawmill and kiln owner that he could sell 4, 5, & 6' cherry or walnut all day.  Other species there was very little market for.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ron Wenrich

I don't see the need to cut the boards to any length right now.  That gives you the ability to trim to what the customer wants when they come in.  If they want an 8' board, you can cut it off the 15.5 pile and have a 7' board or the 13.5 pile and have a 5' board.  It will probably be less wasteful, both in time and fiber.

Why can't you make a stack that long?  I worked in one mill where we made bunks of 6x6 spaced every 2 ft and put stickered bundles on top of that.  We could put 8 bundles on a bunk.  That was at a commercial level, but the same concept can be used using smaller skids and keeping things at a 2' width to place your sticker support.  For smaller stacks, we did that using 3x4s, which was our standard skid made from low grade lumber. 

Instead of trying to stack and sticker at the mill, sticker where you want your stack to be and build your stack there. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bruno of NH

I have no problems moving short boards of hardwood or pine.
A couple times of year I spend a week sawing short logs 
The inventory goes fast 
I just sold a bunch today and someone is stopping tomorrow for 2 lots of 6' pine
I saw it all shorts make money 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

yes, if I develop a cant, I saw all the way through and then tether the ends with twine and a slip knot, to move the cut-up cant in mass, then I can sticker them in reverse by flipping each board over as I stack it to a maintain the order.  as in my thread.

Brad_bb

So if your logs are "Premium" grade logs, then I'd want to reverse roll quarter saw them.  Sounds like you can't do that on your mill.  I have taken some of my premium oak logs to another sawyer with a LT50wide with hydraulics and taught them RRQS on the fly.  But then, I don't sell any wood, it was just for me.  I thought it was worth it though.  

As far as length, I have been using material pallets that we've received materials on during construction, which are 12 feet, and cutting them down to 8 feet long, and adding extra stringers  as needed.  Most of the time they come with stringers on 14 or 15 inch centers, but sometimes further apart.  The pallets are 46"wide or less, so two would fit on an 8 foot wide trailer deck.  I screw stickers to the pallet on 12" centers.

I also make pallets 6 feet long, and 4 feet long(standard 40x48 pallet).  I cut boards to 8'3", 6'3", and 4'3".  If you have boards in between like 7' boards, you can stagger them on a layer on an 8' pallet.  Yes you lose some capacity due to some spaces, but it works.

When the whole thing gets 34" high, I strap the stack and let it air dry.  34" because that is what I can lift and load without difficulty.  After air drying, I tighten the straps and haul the stacks to another guy's Nyle kiln.  His available opening is 22' So I can put 2 8'ers, and one 4'er, or one 8'er and two 6'ers on a layer.  I can stack up to 89" high in his kiln, so that's two layers of pallets, plus 20" high pallets if I want.  

So consider your whole process.  A trailer bed dictates the width of my pallets, my forklift determines the max height of my pallet, and the kiln I'm using dictates with the combination of lengths of my pallets.  I try to cut my standard board lengths 3" over for trim after drying/surfacing.

I take my material from the kiln directly to another shop that surfaces and straight line rips one edge of my material making it S3S.  By doing that, I can load my trailer for part of the next kiln cycle, then take material coming out of the kiln to the shop for S3S'ing, then take what he has done home.  Then do it again.

Turning 12' pallets into 8' pallets.

Air dried stacks ready to go to kiln.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

Sixacresand

If you are dealing with finished slabs or benches, the late WDH said they should be short enough to fit in a woman's SUV.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Sixacresand on September 06, 2023, 09:08:56 AM
If you are dealing with finished slabs or benches, the late WDH said they should be short enough to fit in a woman's SUV.  
That's how most of my shorts leave the yard
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Old Greenhorn

Care to rephrase that Bruno? :D Or did I just read that wrong? ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

something about Bruno leaving the yard in his shorts, with woman in her SUV??????????   :D :D :D

Old Greenhorn

Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Nebraska

I thought Bruno's shorts were leaving with the women in the  SUV.....of course he's not the only one to loose his shorts sawing..... :)

Bruno of NH

My 6' and under lumber usually exits in an SUV or Honda Ridgeline  :D
With a woman at the wheel
Last week it was a Jeep Gladiator pick-up if you want to call it that 

Old Greenhorn

Yeah Bruno, but I'm still confused. What happened to your shorts and why did they leave in a woman's SUV (apparently along with some lumber), or didn't they?

beenthere

Quote from: Nebraska on September 06, 2023, 03:52:57 PM
I thought Bruno's shorts were leaving with the women in the  SUV.....of course he's not the only one to loose his shorts sawing..... :)
Are his shorts loose or did he lose them?  There is a difference.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

I'd cut the small end at 8' 6"  and QS the big end.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

chainsaw_louie

I started cutting the 13'3" board into 7'8" and 5'7" but then I realized I'd have an un-even stack which wouldn't support the next log's boards.

So I divided the length into 3 and cut at the 2/3 length that gave full length and half lengths which stacked into an even pile.  

The boards I cut first to the odd length kept the pile uneven on top.   Live and learn.  

Thank You Sponsors!