iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Accuset 2 “Hunting” for Setting

Started by SawyerTed, September 18, 2023, 02:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Sometimes when using Auto Down mode or Pattern Mode, the head appears to move up and down slightly and the display shows the setting moving up and down. 

I can't make it do this with any consistency.  It is intermittent.  It happens at various heights above the bed. 

My remedy is to shut the mill down and restart.   It does make wavy lumber if I don't catch it.  

Do I have a problem or does the mill?  :D

https://youtube.com/shorts/HOBJq9jfRQ8?feature=shared
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

Never seen anything like that Ted. Ours will drop below to mark, then lift up to it, but it stops in the right spot, does not hunt. First thing I would do is check that transducer cable, remove the plug on the back of the box and clean, then make sure it's tight. See if that has an effect. If not, it could be the gain settings in the controller are a bit off and need tweaking, but you'd need a scope for that.
 Let us know what you find. I think this might progress with time.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Dan_Shade

Mine sometimes gets stuck and won't move down. 

I cycle the ignition switch and after the setworks resets, it works again.

I've not experienced mine hunting for a setting. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fluidpowerpro

I agree about the gain being too high. In closed loop hydraulic systems, if they would hunt or become unstable, the gain was the first thing you looked at.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Southside

Not sure on the 50 but on my 70 the transducer has a specific spacing requirement and has an adjustment for sensitivity that can be done from the control panel.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

On my 2001 40 super, which had Accuset 2,  I used to experience occasional "cycling" like that, in my case, it was alleviated by changing the oil in the gearbox. 85W 140 was what I graduated to using in the end.

It doesn't seem like that would be your problem on a new mill, though.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

Thanks for the insights.  

Later this week I will check cable connections.  Somewhere I read the solenoid connections need to be checked.  I will also examine the sensor, magnet and connections.   

Once I've done all that making sure everything is tight and aligned, I'll check the operation to see if it continues. 

From there it will require a call to Woodmizer.   I'm not discounting the gear box oil change but saving that for later if Woodmizer recommends.   I did read that the gear box oil change is a recommended remedy. I agree that on a new mill it would seem unusual.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

After some quality time with the mill this morning, it turned out to be a simple fix.  I think.  Fingers crossed.  

The threaded cable connector on the head position sensor was loose and had moisture in it.   I was gone on a birthday trip the second week of September.  The covers on the mill blew off during some steady rains.  

I did 4 things to correct the problem:

1. Tightened the connector.  It was loose, not even finger tight.  
2. Used some electronics cleaner to dry the connectors before tightening 
3.  Applied some dielectric grease to the connections
4.  Cleared out a shed to park the mill in the dry and quit relying on tarps and bungees.  I did this last week before the weekend rain.  Still covering with tarps but that's just because I don't have a good place to keep them. 

I didn't get to saw but did cycle the head repeatedly using Auto Down and Pattern Mode.  Couldn't get the "hunting" to reoccur.  

Time will tell. 

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!