iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Sinker Cypress

Started by Magicman, April 22, 2014, 09:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

thechknhwk

That looks niiiiice.  It's rot resistant as well isn't it?

Magicman

Since all of the sapwood has long ago rotted away and this is all heartwood, yes it may be rot resistant, but I seriously doubt that any of it will ever be exposed to the outside elements.

As a note, these logs were not found in or under the water.  The customer's skidder tires kept encountering logs as they skidded logs out of a swampy area.  They decided to dig down with the trackhoe and guess what??  All of these logs were dug up out of the mud. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Wow! What a bunch of beautiful wood!  I can hardly wait to sink my saw teeth (that I don't have yet) into some logs like those.  Thanks for sharing.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Some of the log cavities are completely plugged with hardened "buckshot" mud.

The 42" log is quietly awaiting it's turn.

The loader complained, but never faltered.

I lowered the side supports to allow the log to snuggle against the mast for maximum clearance.

The cantilever designed sawmill allowed the 42" wide log to lay flat on the sawmill bed rails.

I sawed it down to 30" before turning.

The first cut after turning was 34½" which removed most of the ring shake.

The small end after turning.

I am removing 1" boards.

I took it down to 20".

Ready to saw through the 20" cant.

One of many 1"X20" boards.

The wet sinker sawdust is a constant pain.

The last log today was the absolute worst in the whack.  Ring shake plus fractured many different ways.  It still yielded some fine lumber.

Today's lumber whack.     

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

Lynn,
Once again, another great outcome to a challenging project! That lumber looks fantastic! Hard to believe those logs could have that much pretty lumber in them.  That's why you are the Magic Man!!!       Andy 8) 8)
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

hackberry jake

smiley_clapping I want that board!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

rasman57

This thread is one of the BEST ever.  Magic Man , you not only share your wisdom and skill with all of us; you provide great pics and weave it all together.  "You got it goin on".....as my young God daughter would say!  Appreciate the posts!

Magicman

I'll try to remember to take a picture of the tight growth rings today. 

Magicman

Some more nice logs today. 

The pith must be centered in Pecky logs to maximize the pecky pattern.

And this one is looking good.

This pecky log had some rich red wood.

This log got slabbed.

2½"X28" two Live Edges.

We were able to get six of these beauties.

Pecky boards in the foreground and 2½"X28" Live Edge slabs in the background.

This shows the closeness of the growth rings.

This 34" butt X 14' log is loaded and ready for tomorrow.  Today's sawing is seen in the background.

mesquite buckeye

Way cool...... ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

hackberry jake

WOW! Did you count to see how many rings were in that log? I would've had to...

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

I would have loved to, but the off bearers are being paid by the hour and I am sawing "hourly rate" so that would have been some expensive counting.

That was a 33" butt log, so it would have easily been hundreds of years. 

Magicman

I finished sawing the Sinker Cypress this morning just before my eyes got screwy.  I knocked off and went to the eye Dr, but that is another story.

Here is the "bone pile".  It's the cutoffs from the Cypress logs and guess which one of my FF Friends has first dibs ??

21incher

Great thread, thanks for sharing the pictures and experience. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on June 19, 2014, 05:37:43 PM
I finished sawing the Sinker Cypress this morning just before my eyes got screwy.  I knocked off and went to the eye Dr, but that is another story.

Here is the "bone pile".  It's the cutoffs from the Cypress logs and guess which one of my FF Friends has first dibs ??
I see quite a few chunks that have apparently dodged the bullet.

Somebody better turn them into special creations before they get too lonely in that pile.

Herb

thecfarm

I'm guessing POSTON,but it's kinda far for him. WDH?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

Ima guessin Dodgy. Sorry to hear bout ur eyes.

Magicman

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 20, 2014, 01:40:56 AMIma guessin Dodgy. 
smiley_thumbsup  and thanks for the concern about my eye.  It is wacko this morning.

Bill Gaiche

Hope your eyes get better. Could be cypressidise. You may need to saw some hardwood to get them to clear up. bg

Ocklawahaboy

That bone pile is better than the good pile I have.  Make sure it is well loved.

TimW

Lynn,
   What blade did you or still use on those big cypress logs?
        hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

I was and still am 100% Turbo 7's (7/39).  I do not own a single blade with any other profile.

TimW

Thanks Lynn,
    I have also went to just Turbo 7s. But wasn't sure since I haven't had the chance to let cypress sawdust fly.
                              hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

Cypress is a total joy to saw, probably my all time favorite species but....

The sawdust will clog the sawdust chute.  ::)

This topic details my most memorial Cypress job.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!