iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

feeding of the deer 2024

Started by thecfarm, February 03, 2024, 05:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Looks like about 15 deer out there now.
I feed the deer in a long line. Maybe 50-70 feet.
This keeps the deer from fighting so much. But they will still drive the small ones away. Or try too.
I stand there and tell them, A course he's small, you guys drive him away from the food.  :D
I have fed 50 deer in past years. Most years 20 is no big deal, but 30 is not common.
I say I feed 50 deer. I am not a rich man. I put out about 4 gallons of sweet feed, really cow grain. If 2 come they eat good, if 50 come, they better eat quick.  :D
When I feed them, I holler, hey, hey, hey. They come a running!!!!
Most times I feed them at night because of the turkeys.
But I wanted to see them eat today.
I don't hunt, but the step son and grandson do.
But only 2 deer have been shot in 24 years here.
I have not seen any antlers this year come to the food.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Only have 5 or so I think. Few deer can make a lot of tracks. ffcheesy
They are not eating as much corn now with the snow going away.  Going to be in the 50s next week.
I did see the pm you sent weeks ago. I just had a hard time getting back on the FF. I did mess up the PC some. ffcheesy ffcheesy
Got my grandson to fix it.
I hope you and yours are well my friend. ffsmiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I am well. 
Same as what I posted at the first of Feb.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Haven't seen a deer or a track around here in weeks. And the snow really isn't deep. But I have a lot of coyotes. My snow shoe path has hardened up now so they run my paths everywhere. I think a lot of it is at night, I never see one in the day time.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

I see deer on the edge of the fields in town. Tracks in the yard. There is corn out, but they just nibble at it now with no snow.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

I am having a steady 10 deer coming for the food.
One night I had more about 15.
The deer will stop coming to the food when things start to green up. I came home tonight and there were about 13 deer in the field.

Peter Drouin

I just put out another 50 lbs of corn. Their eating it just not as fast as when I have snow cover.
With the bears coming out I think the corn will go fast. ffcheesy
And that's ok I have more. ffsmiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.

SwampDonkey

Have not seen a deer or track all winter. Drove out to Howard brook where the deer congregate in winter. None in the fields or yards. They aren't yarding this winter, they can roam anywhere with no snow much. A deer has no chance on my place with all the coyotes, the darn things even run my snow shoe paths like they own the place. The moose never stayed on the woodlot, just a couple roamed through and moved on. No beds at the inn. They can't get much to eat there except willows in the wet runs. A few new shoots out by the road where I've been cutting and the moose did walk through there nibbling. Not seen any bear moving yet, no tracks and I have a den on my property line about 1/2 a mile back from the road. Last fall it looked like 3 different bears up there, tracks of different sizes.

SwampDonkey

Saw a couple does this afternoon in the field. Probably the same two that made tracks a few days ago on the woodlot.  ffcheesy

Thank You Sponsors!