iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

That's a lot of wood.

Started by tyb525, December 12, 2010, 02:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

This looks like it's all pulp size, but I'm not sure. Anyways there is a huge volume of timber there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrSyRbfKU2U&feature=related
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

Here's 3500 cords of treelength white cedar, piled 20 feet high at our marketing board wood yard. ;D There's a whole lot more of that pile behind the camera and up around a turn and heading back down hill on same road. ;)

Here's the slasher working away bucking out the logs. ;)

This was in winter 2006 when we never had any snow other than a dusting you see. This was taken in Feb.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bobus2003

Quote from: tyb525 on December 12, 2010, 02:41:56 PM
This looks like it's all pulp size, but I'm not sure. Anyways there is a huge volume of timber there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrSyRbfKU2U&feature=related

Found this about this:
After the hurricane Gudrun, that hit southern Sweden 8-9 Jan. 2005, has appx. 1000000m3 timber been stored at Byholma. Lots of videos showing this wood and clean-up effort

treefarmer87

that loader on swamp donkeys post is a rotobec i didnt know they made them that big.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Dave Shepard

From what I've heard, most of that wood has started to spoil.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

northwoods1

swamp donkey what happened to all that cedar where does it go?? ??? ???

SwampDonkey

Most of it goes to the state of Maine. The marketing board was working on a contract for this volume. You see, many times a woodlot owner is cutting small volumes and not big truck loads. Although, most of this would be coming from big contractors working on woodlots. They probably cut 90% of the volumes. And you can bet mostly from clearcuts. But with this wood yard, trucking to the mill is central and I think the mill trucked this wood from the yard. I know for a fact the marketing board never made any money on this particular volume. I think they lost on the processing end of things. At the time they were just fresh in this type of operation and I think things are coming around now. Basically, if your not for profit, you can't spend money like your the government and expect the directors and commission to over look it. :D

Treefarmer, everything is bigger in the north. I thought everyone knew that.  LOL ;) :D Ah, well gotta have our little rib jabs.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treefarmer87

i like the way the loaders are set up up there, a circle saw is faster than a bar saw.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

We had a big wind storm in the Christmas Mountains in 1995 and every outfit in the country went up there to salvage the wood. It was cleaned up in 18 months I think. But the mountains are all bare now, you can Google it and all that is left is 100 foot stream buffers half blown down to. But the regeneration is unghostly thick that the thinners stand on cut stumps as they are brushing in it. They are having a hard time making pay, it's so thick. Paid on acreage spaced, is how it works. One guy told me that $1000/ha still wouldn't be enough, you couldn't cut a ha per week.  :o

Quote from: treefarmer87 on December 12, 2010, 06:59:02 PM
i like the way the loaders are set up up there, a circle saw is faster than a bar saw.

Yip.

northwoods1

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 12, 2010, 06:53:28 PM
Most of it goes to the state of Maine. The marketing board was working on a contract for this volume. You see, many times a woodlot owner is cutting small volumes and not big truck loads. Although, most of this would be coming from big contractors working on woodlots. They probably cut 90% of the volumes. And you can bet mostly from clearcuts. But with this wood yard, trucking to the mill is central and I think the mill trucked this wood from the yard. I know for a fact the marketing board never made any money on this particular volume. I think they lost on the processing end of things. At the time they were just fresh in this type of operation and I think things are coming around now. Basically, if your not for profit, you can't spend money like your the government and expect the directors and commission to over look it. :D

Treefarmer, everything is bigger in the north. I thought everyone knew that.  LOL ;) :D Ah, well gotta have our little rib jabs.  :)

swampdonkey I am completely perplexed as to what you are talking about :D the wood goes to the state of Maine? What do they do with it? Marketing board? What are you a state forester?

SwampDonkey

Private woodlot owners and loggers (producers) working private woodlots are organized here in New Brunswick into 7 regional Forest Products Marketing Boards. These boards also have woodlot owner associations under the same umbrella. The marketing boards market the wood and put on training for woodlot owners and loggers. The associations administer the work on the ground for folks that want silviculture and assistance with woodlot management. These organizations are not government but financed by woodlot owners and loggers in their board area through wood levies on sales (<3%). For example, our board covers two counties here, minus one parish in the north end who joined with another board primarily because of language for easier communications. All these organizations fall under the NB Federation of Woodlot Owners.

http://www.nbwoodlotowners.ca

The silviculture program administered on private woodlots (planting and thinning) is funded by the provincial and Federal governments.

http://www.gnb.ca/0079/silviculture/index-e.asp

Additional silviculture treatments may be covered by forest management funds of individual boards.

As far as that cedar goes, they could be building canoes, fence posts, shingles, or sawing lumber for all I know. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!