iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Cycle Kiln & Sterilizing

Started by E-Tex, February 15, 2018, 03:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

I have been reading up on Solar Cycle Kilns by Timbergreen Farms.  I really like the concept of a separate insulated kiln chamber from a Solar Collector / heat source. 

I understand that the heat can get up to 60-80° above the ambient air.  However, if that's for only 7-8 hours per day will that be enough to "Sterilize" the lumber.....(if done day after day)....we get plenty hot here in Texas.  Will that get the wood temp to the 133° or so needed to sterilize properly....and "set the pitch"?  It seems that the "standard" is to get the temps to 150°+ for 24-hours.

Solar Cycle Kilns at Timbergreen Farm, Spring Green, WI
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It is unlikely that the wood temperature will reach 133 F for any length of time, and unlikely that the core will be that hot at all.  When the air in the collector gets hot, and then directed into the kiln, you also have to heat any water in the wood and all the kiln components, such as fans, wall interior, floor, stickers, 4x4, etc.  As the walls are heated, there will be heat losses as well.

A small, insulated chamber with a heat source is a better way to sterilize.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

E-Tex

that make sense.  this style of kiln does have the separate insulated chamber and should be easy to add a separate heat source.  thank you sir!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Thank You Sponsors!