iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stringy Elm

Started by Timberwerks, September 12, 2004, 06:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberwerks

Some Elm I started splitting today is very stringy. Is this the nature of Elm, or certain Elm's? Would letting the wood dry before splitting help? The splitter has no problem splitting the wood but the looks of the wood isn't the nicest. I plan on selling the wood but I don't want anyone to be un happy. It smells good when I split it but it does look shaggy.

Dale

Stephen_Wiley

As far as the appearance of the wood (stringy) I don't think ykou should be to concerned.

Waiting to split the wood when dry may be more difficult as Elm is known to be difficult in splitting.

The fragrance is a selling point for firewood, the weight of the wood is higher than Douglas-fir and produces about 290,000 btu's per cubic foot.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Stephen_Wiley

Dale,

P.S. - Make certain to remove the bark if you plan to keep the wood stacked for any length of time. This is to avoid leaving potential nesting area for the elm bark beetle which is a carrier of 'Dutch Elm Disease'  :o
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Ianab

Stuff like that usually gets MORE stringy and tougher to split as it dries. Get it split up green and it will also dry faster.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Timberwerks

Thanks for the info guy's.

Dale

bennelson

Like those before me said split it green.  the stringyness is just the nature of the beast,  but as a good selling point for it if you leave the stringies on it they act as a kindeling to help start your fire.

junkyard

Timberwerks

We (Dad and Me) always cut Elm in the fall. Stood the blocks on end so the rain could soak in. Then wait for a hard freeze. It split like glass. Had to dry out next summer , Burn the following winter.
                       Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Thank You Sponsors!