iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Breaks My Heart

Started by Autocar, June 21, 2013, 07:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Twice this week I saw semis loaded with thick walled pipe 12/14 inch in diameter and fifty feet long go into the junk yard. It looks brand new what I wouldn't give to have a few sticks like that laying around.
Bill

sandhills

You wouldn't want to see what Zimmatic irrigation sends to scrap, at least it should be getting recycled I guess  ::)

iffy

I just bought some 1x1 & 2x2 L and 3x5 rect tubing all in 20' lengths from a salvage yard. They bought it as scrap. Going to use the 3x5 for my Linn mill frame. It was .30 a lb, but still much cheaper than new.

Warbird

The majority of it is probably being shipped to China.

clww

Quote from: Autocar on June 21, 2013, 07:20:21 PM
Twice this week I saw semis loaded with thick walled pipe 12/14 inch in diameter and fifty feet long go into the junk yard. It looks brand new what I wouldn't give to have a few sticks like that laying around.
I think I know how you felt. One piece of that, and I could have all the culverts finished on our driveway at the cabin. I hate seeing perfectly useful things wasted needlessly. >:(
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

BobInMN

12/14" sounds like piling.  Without the heat numbers from manufacturing and testing or not passing strength and wall thickness measurements not much else you can do with it, but scrap it.  Happens more than you would expect on state jobs.
Retired US Army, Retired Civil Engineering Technician, Retired State Employee, most of all just plain tired.

tyb525

Welcome to the forum Bob!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

Yes,BobinMN,welcome to the forum. What is your interest with wood?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hello and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, BobInMN.   Also, Thank you for your service to our USA.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Howdy bobinmn, this is what I was thinking as well, some defect rendering them out of spec,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

Welcome Bob, and I know the feeling, just plain tired  ;).  The plant I was talking about scraps it for those reasons but they used to let employees have first pick of what was going out the door, now with all the "politically correct" bs (or whatever you want to call it) they can't allow it anymore so it goes to the scrap pile, by the truck loads also.  Used to pick up a lot of good iron from that place, can't anymore  :-\

BobInMN

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  I've been lurking for awhile trying to learn what I can.  I ordered one of the Chinese sawmills from a company that I don't want to name.  Got a great deal, less than $1600 delivered to my door.  It was about all I can afford at this time.  Make a long story short, they emailed me yesterday and said my order has been canceled, please accept our $25 gift certificate for your troubles.  Called them and they said the factory is no longer going to manufacture them so they aren't selling them anymore.  I guess it's back to plan A and build my own.

I've got a 30'X48' insulated shop I built.  I'm set up that I can do metal and woodworking.  My driveway is about 1/2 mile long and I designed and built a towable grader so I figure I would be able to build a bandsaw mill.  I don't plan on doing enough sawing to justify spending a lot on a mill.

Thanks again for the welcome.  (If I'm missing any "R"s its because that key sticks on my computer.)

Retired US Army, Retired Civil Engineering Technician, Retired State Employee, most of all just plain tired.

beenthere

Sorry to hear you won't get your mill.
How about a pic or two of the grader you fabricated? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Several of our sponsors listed on the left have entry level hobby type sawmills.  That could be an option that would allow you to saw much more quickly. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Keep an eye out for a 2nd hand mill.

With new (and decent quality) entry level mills selling for ~$3,000, a used one should be in your budget. As long as it's not abused there isn't a lot that can go wrong, especially if you have the skills to consider building your own mill. A fair percentage of the guys buying those mills either upgrade, or don't continue sawing after while, so you might get lucky.

You would be better off with a used LT10 than one of those cheapo Chinese mills from "They who shall not be named"

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Quote from: Ianab on June 23, 2013, 03:49:18 PMYou would be better off with a used LT10...
I completely agree, plus the demand for them is such that if your sawing expectations are not met, they can be sold and your cost recovered.

Sure, sawmills can be home built, but I read about so many "engineering" problems that folks face that have already been solved by a quality manufacturer.  There is a lot more to sawing a log than simply dragging a blade through it.  Later selling a home brewed sawmill and recovering your cost would be questionable.

BobInMN

Quote from: beenthere on June 23, 2013, 01:15:58 PM
How about a pic or two of the grader you fabricated?

Here you go.  I always meant to paint it, just never found the round tuit.  It's held together for over 8 years now.

beenthere

BobinMN
That looks like a clever design. Tilt and depth adjustment, and weight   8) .

Thanks for the pic.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

The factory where I worked for 33+ years was some 19 acres under roof.  It had a tool crib that was as big as a hardware store and filled with plumbing, electrical,  and mechanical parts.  It also contained spare parts for the custom machines.  Each part id was loaded onto the computer data base and a bin number or shelf location assigned.  But parts too large to handle by hand were stored in a warehouse area that came to be called the million dollar hole.   Motors, pumps, gearboxes, etc went in never to be found again.   I had the job of ordering spare parts for one machine and loading them onto the system.  One part was a motor from Germany that cost $3, 000.  It went into the "hole".  I heard after I left the motor went out. They looked for the spare motor but couldn't fine it. So they ordered a new one "overnight" from Germany.  It was received but lost in receiving!   So they ordered another.  In the mean time they found the original spare in the hole. 

I heard a new manager was so frustrated by the conditions in the million dollar hole he ordered scrapped everything in it. Over $5, 000, 000 in major parts.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DaleK

One of my neighbours sons works in the shop at a generating plant for our "state utility" Most years at the end of the budget period, they bring everyone in on overtime the last few days and cut up the ENTIRE stock of new steel in the welding shop for scrap, so they can justify keeping the same material budget for the next year. Most years it's well over 100 tons of new plate, pipe, angle, tube, etc, just from one shop.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Magicman

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 23, 2013, 07:05:52 PMI heard a new manager was so frustrated by the conditions in the million dollar hole he ordered scrapped everything in it. Over $5, 000, 000 in major parts. 
You do not need to be a manager to be an idiot......you just need to be an idiot.  Many times poor managers are just promoted to the height of their incompetence.

beenthere

And maybe the poor managers were the ones collecting all those extra things all along.  ::)
Maybe no need for the scrap when they took a good look at the waste over the years. Who knows.
What are scrap prices now? Seems the druggy's are pulling copper out of new houses, and cutting off catalytic converters from under cars.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!